TVNewser FishbowlDC AgencySpy TVSpy LostRemote PRNewser SocialTimes AllFacebook 10,000 Words GalleyCat UnBeige MediaJobsDaily

Posts Tagged ‘Conde Nast’

Morning Media Newsfeed: Handler to Host Netflix Show | NYT, WaPo, Mozilla Team Up

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Chelsea Handler to Host Talk Show on Netflix (LostRemote)
Late-night comedian Chelsea Handler is moving from TV to Netflix, announcing Thursday she’ll host a talk show on the streaming service in 2016. NYT The idea could appear counterintuitive because Netflix, the subscription streaming video service, has thus far only posted original series in their entirety, not day by day or even week by week. But this apparent incongruity may be what appealed to Handler, a comic who has been public about seeking a new and different landing place after declaring that she was planning to leave E!, where for seven years she has hosted Chelsea Lately, a daily late-night show. WSJ Netflix will likely release the talk show episodes in a different way than it has debuted its other original series, where it is released all the episodes at once to encourage “binge viewing.” THR / The Live Feed “If I was going to continue working in this industry, I knew I had to do something outside the box to keep myself interested. I wanted to sit with the cool kids at lunch so I approached Netflix to make sure they were as cool as I thought they were, and when I confirmed my suspicions, like with any other future lover, I made my move,” said Handler in a statement. The Washington Post / Style Blog Before this, Handler made no secret that she despised the E! network — and her manager told the media she was actively looking for another gig. When E! announced the series finale of her talk show this summer, she offered the most lukewarm departure statement ever: “I will always look back at my time on E! as most people look back at their time in college. I’m glad I went.” HuffPost In addition to the talk show, Handler will also be collaborating with Netflix on five comedy specials into next year, including stand-up and docu-comedy specials.

Read more

Mediabistro Course

Freelancing 101

Freelancing 101Starting August 18, learn how to manage a top-notch freelancing career in our online boot camp, Freelancing 101! Through a series of weeklong webcasts, you'll hear from freelancing experts who will teach you the best practices for a solid freelancing career, from the first steps of self-advertising and marketing, to building your schedule and securing new clients. Register now! 

Condé Nast Underwrites Bruce Weber Exhibition

DetroitBruceWeberAhead of tomorrow’s official opening of Detroit – Bruce Weber, the famed photographer was joined by Anna Wintour and a “phalanx of impeccably coiffed Condé Nast officials” for a special media day preview. From Detroit Free Press staff writer Mark Stryker‘s report;

Detroit Institute of Arts officials declined to say how much money Condé Nast contributed to the exhibition, but [museum] chief operating officer Annmarie Erickson called it “substantial.”

The images in the show were drawn mostly from two extended trips that Weber made to Detroit on assignment, the first in 2006 for an expansive W magazine spread with model Kate Moss and the second last year for an ad campaign for Shinola.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Dean Baquet Treated for Cancer | Julianna Goldman to CBS

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

New York Times Editor Treated for Cancer (NYT)
Dean Baquet, the executive editor of The New York Times, had a malignant tumor removed from his kidney on Saturday and will spend about a week away from the office while recovering, he said in an email to the newspaper’s staff on Monday morning. FishbowlNY In the memo to Times staffers, Baquet sounded upbeat about the situation. He described the surgery as “minimally invasive” and “completely successful.” “My doctors have given me an excellent prognosis,” added Baquet. New York Post The tumor was discovered by doctors on June 12, Baquet said in the email — and the decision was made that the situation needed “immediate attention.” HuffPost Baquet assured his newsroom that he would be back “as soon as possible.” “I know this comes as we are all trying to move forward in the newsroom,” he wrote. He told the newsroom in his email that he would be keeping “in touch”with the paper’s leaders while he stayed at home to recover. Capital New York The news of Baquet’s illness comes promptly after a period of upheaval at the paper. Baquet, 57, took the top editorial position on the Times masthead only last month, after the surprise dismissal of Jill Abramson. As managing editor, Baquet had been Abramson’s second in command. He has yet to appoint his own.

Read more

Epicurious Adds Three Editors

Epicurious GEpicurious, Condé Nast’s food site, has added three editors. Details are below.

  • Adina Steiman has been named features director. Steiman joined Epicurious in late May. She previously served as Self’s features director. Prior to that she was Men’s Health’s food and nutrition editor.
  • Rhoda Boone joins as food editor. She has styled food for publications such as Bon Appétit and Food & Wine. She starts June 16.
  • Brittany Innes has been named social media editor, a new role at the site. She also begins June 16.

Condé Nast Drafts Native-Ad Conflict Resolution Doc

CondeNastLogoThe brave new world of native advertising has an intriguing road map. Per Ad Age‘s Michael Sebastian, senior editorial staff at Condé Nast are currently reviewing a 4,000-word draft document:

The document’s aim is to give publishers and editors who might clash over native ads a quick reference guide to solve any disputes, the executives say. “There are things in there editors won’t like, and things in there that publishers won’t like,” one editor said.

Another one of Sebastian’s sources for the article gets a little bit ahead of proper native context by comparing the document to the Great Charter of the Liberties of England, sealed under oath by King John in 1215. Describing the Condé Nast document as “a Magna Carta for native ads” is hilariously grandiose.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Second TV HQ Seized | Twitter Stock Tanks | Filmmaker Strikes Deal With the AP

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Pro-Russian Separatists Seize TV HQ In Eastern Ukraine (Reuters)
Pro-Russian separatists took control of the regional prosecutor’s office and television center in the eastern city of Luhansk on Tuesday, having earlier seized the government headquarters, a Reuters photographer said. BBC News Activists went into the regional television station, but decided not to take it over after they were allowed to make a live broadcast. Following the takeovers, President Oleksandr Turchynov demanded the dismissal of the police chiefs in Luhansk and the other eastern city of Donetsk. Business Insider Pro-Russian separatists have now seized government buildings in at least 10 cities throughout the eastern part of the country. Pro-Russian activists have also shot the mayor of Kharkiv, Ukraine’s second-largest city. All the while, journalists throughout eastern Ukraine routinely face intimidation amid the threat of kidnapping and assault. The Guardian About 3,000 activists — some in masks and military fatigues — stormed the regional government HQ and other key buildings. A pro-Russian militia had occupied the security service office in Luhansk, a town of 465,000, just 20 miles from the Russian border. In recent days, Kiev’s tentative grip on local law enforcement in the east appears to have slipped completely. In Luhansk, riot police stood passively in a courtyard. “The regional leadership does not control its police force,” Stanislav Rechynsky, an aide to the interior minister in Kiev said. “The local police did nothing.” WSJ The latest moves in Ukraine’s eastern Luhansk region came despite a new wave of sanctions on Russia by the U.S. and European Union aimed at forcing the Kremlin to rein in the activists, who have echoed Russian President Vladimir Putin in denouncing Ukraine’s two-month-old government as illegal. The attacks on Luhansk’s regional police headquarters, administration building, prosecutor’s office and television broadcasting facilities mark the biggest advance for the pro-Russia rebels since early April, when militants took control of the regional building of Ukraine’s state-security service, the SBU.

Read more

Condé Nast Insisting They Still Feel Lucky

Per a quick follow-up item from Women’s Wear Daily media editor Alexandra Steigrad, the folks in charge at both Lucky magazine and Condé Nast are aggressively denying a Wednesday Page Six report that the magazine is about to be shelved.

The WWD-obtained notes by Lucky EIC Eva Chen, her publisher and Condé Nast CEO Charles Townsend all bang the reassurance drum, hard. Here for example is part of what Chen had to say:

Lucky‘s May issue was up nearly 20 percent and, for February through May, the publication is up two percent in paging, the editor said, explaining that they outpaced the competition, which logged a 6.2 percent decline in May and a 4.2 percent dip in the four-month period. Chen also noted that Lucky is up three percent in subscriptions from December of last year over December 2012.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: AP Journalists Shot | Schultz’s Legal Woes | Blade Sues U.S. Gov’t

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

AP Photographer Killed, Reporter Wounded in Afghanistan (The Associated Press)
An Afghan police commander opened fire Friday on two Associated Press journalists, killing Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer Anja Niedringhaus and wounding veteran correspondent Kathy Gannon — the first known case of a security insider attacking journalists in Afghanistan. FishbowlNY Niedringhaus and Gannon were covering the nation’s election when a policeman opened fire on their vehicle. Niedringhaus was killed instantly and Gannon was shot twice and later underwent surgery. Politico / Dylan Byers on Media Niedringhaus and Gannon were traveling in a convoy of election workers delivering ballots from the center of Khost city to the outskirts, in Tani district, protected by the Afghan National Army and Afghan police. As they were sitting in the car waiting for the convoy to move, a unit commander named Naqibullah walked up to the car, yelled “Allahu Akbar” — God is Great — and opened fire on them in the back seat with his AK-47. He then surrendered to the other police and was arrested. BBC News The attack came as Afghanistan intensified security ahead of presidential elections on Saturday, in response to threats of violence by the Taliban. The new president will succeed Hamid Karzai, who has been in power since the 2001 fall of the Taliban but is constitutionally barred from seeking a third consecutive term. The run-up to this historic election had already been the bloodiest, and fears of electoral fraud are pronounced. NYT Niedringhaus, a German citizen who was based in Geneva, first came to Afghanistan after joining the AP in 2002, and she quickly formed a partnership with Gannon. They were among a band of female photographers and correspondents who persevered through many years of conflict in Iraq as well as in Afghanistan. In the process, they helped redefine traditional notions of war reporting. Even as they covered the battlefield, they also focused attention on the human impact of conflicts known for their random, unpredictable violence against civilians.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Letterman to Retire | Mozilla’s Eich Resigns | Fusion’s TV First

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

David Letterman to Leave Late Show (TVNewser)
During the taping of Thursday’s Late Show, David Letterman announced next year will be his last on the show he’s hosted for more than two decades. The news was first reported on Twitter by R.E.M. bassist Mike Mills, a guest on the show, just after 4 p.m. ET. Letterman, who turns 67 next week, signed a contract extension in October. Adweek The duration of the new deal seemed a sure sign that the clock was ticking on Letterman’s late night tenure. Two years prior to signing the extension, the host had agreed to a two-year deal. NYT Letterman said he had informed CBS president Leslie Moonves of his intention to step down from The Late Show at the end of his current contract, which has about 16 months left. A specific end date has not yet been set. Letterman is considered by many to be the most original voice in the late-night format, and Moonves has been steadfast in his assurances in recent years that he would never ask Letterman to retire, saying at one point, “You don’t do that to a television legend.” Mashable Letterman hosted Late Night on NBC from 1982 to 1993 before starting Late Show on CBS in 1993. In 2013, he surpassed Johnny Carson as the longest-running late night talk show host in television history. He has been part of more than 6,000 late-night broadcasts. USA Today It’s unclear how CBS will replace Letterman, and when, precisely. Craig Ferguson, who hosts the Letterman-produced Late Late Show, is not being considered as a replacement, insiders say, even though his contract technically promises it. Moonves is known to have been interested in The Daily Show‘s Jon Stewart over the years, but in the past Stewart has said he is not interested in a network talk show. Stewart’s Comedy Central partner Stephen Colbert is seen as a more likely candidate, and is available sooner: His contract with Comedy Central expires in December, though Stewart is free in 2015. Chelsea Handler also announced plans to leave her late-night E! show this year.

Read more

Condé Nast Sponsors Opening Day of 9/11 Memorial Museum

Condé Nast is sponsoring the opening day of the National September 11 Memorial and Museum. When the center opens its doors on May 21, entrance will be free to anyone who has reserved their spot at 911memorial.org. Tickets for the event went on sale today.

“Condé Nast is privileged to play a role in the renaissance of an area that has held a distinct place in our nation’s history for centuries,” said Charles Townsend, Condé’s CEO, in a statement. “As the birthplace of New York City, the site of President Washington’s first inaugural address and the highly anticipated reopening of the WTC site, lower Manhattan has been — and will be — the home to many important events which shape the character of our country.”

Admission to the museum will be free for 9/11 families and 9/11 rescue workers who have registered.

NEXT PAGE >>