FishbowlDC TVNewser TVSpy LostRemote AgencySpy PRNewser GalleyCat SocialTimes

Posts Tagged ‘Conde Nast’

Condé Nast Moves to One World Trade Center

The first wave of Condé Nast staffers are settling into their new digs at 1 World Trade Center this morning. The publishing house will occupy floors 20 through 44. It purchased the space — 1.2 million square feet — in 2012. But enough about that. We know you’re wondering which editor and staff will be on which floor.

According to The New York Times, Graydon Carter and Vanity Fair staffers have won that competition. While Condé’s CEO Chuck Townsend and other execs will be on the 42nd floor, Carter and Vanity Fair will be on the 41st. David Remnick and The New Yorker will take over the 38th floor; Anna Wintour and Vogue will take the 25th. The 44th floor will be occupied by Condé’s law firm.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Atlantic Partners With NewsHour | DWA Earnings Beat Estimates

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

The Atlantic Partners With PBS NewsHour (FishbowlNY)
The Atlantic is partnering with PBS’ NewsHour to produce broadcast adaptations of the magazine’s work. 10,000 Words In a statement, the two news organizations said: NewsHour and The Atlantic plan to broadcast reports on a wide range of topics over the next six months. The partnership combines the strengths and sensibilities of both brands: The Atlantic’s ideas-driven journalism on issues of import, and the editorial depth and broadcast expertise of PBS NewsHour. FishbowlDC The Atlantic’s partnership with NewsHour marks the magazine’s first ongoing broadcast venture. Politico / Dylan Byers on Media The first report, which aired Wednesday night, is based on the Atlantic’s November-issue cover story about the spread of teenage sexting and its societal and legal consequences. The Atlantic’s Hanna Rosin reported the NewsHour piece with anchor Judy Woodruff. Variety The stories will run online at PBS.org/NewsHour and TheAtlantic.com. Sara Just, a veteran of ABC News, joined PBS NewsHour as its executive producer earlier this year.

Read more

Condé Nast Exec Fired After Alleged Theft

CondeNastLogoDeb Lee has been fired by Condé Nast for allegedly stealing $50,000 from the company over the past few years.

Lee had most recently served as GQ’s senior director of entertainment and partnerships. She previously worked for Condé Nast Traveler and Vogue.

The New York Post reports that Howard MittmanGQ’s relatively new publisher — decided to let Lee go a few weeks ago when the allegations were brought to light.

There is no word on how, exactly, Lee allegedly stole the money. A Condé spokesperson would only confirm that Lee was no longer with the company.

Morning Media Newsfeed: ISIS Releases New Cantlie Video | Condé Nast Reshuffles Digital

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

New ISIS Video Shows Hostage John Cantlie Allegedly Reporting From Kobani (Vice News)
In a new video published Monday, British photojournalist John Cantlie, who is now being held hostage by the Islamic State after being kidnapped in Syria in 2012, appears to be reporting from the city of Kobani on the Syrian-Turkish border, which has been the stage to an ongoing battle between the militants and Kurdish forces. HuffPost The five-minute video, which is titled “Inside Ayn al-Islam,” shows Cantlie walking in front of destroyed buildings in what appears to be Kobani. After mentioning international reports of Islamic State losses in the battle for the town, Cantlie says Kobani is about to fall completely into the militants’ hands. NBC News But U.S. counterterrorism officials said that while the undated video apparently was shot in Kobani, Cantlie’s assertion that ISIS controls large swathes of the city is false. “We don’t know when this was recorded,” said one official, who like the others spoke on condition of anonymity. “But to suggest that the ISIL (another acronym for ISIS) is in control of the city now is not accurate.” Mashable It’s widely assumed that Cantlie, who’s appeared in at least five propaganda videos since he disappeared, is reading from remarks that were prepared by his captors. Having rid the region of all independent journalists, it appears the group is now attempting to broadcast its own twisted form of journalism. The Guardian The video comes two days after the release of another video, in which Cantlie said that captives have been waterboarded for trying to escape.

Read more

Condé Nast Restructures Digital Team

CondeNastLogoCondé Nast has announced some changes to its digital leadership team. Leading the way is the appointment of Fred Santarpia to executive VP and chief digital officer of Condé Nast.

The new role will have Santarpia overseeing all of the publishing house’s digital strategies. Santarpia most recently served as executive VP and chief digital officer of Condé Nast Entertainment (CNE). Prior to joining Condé, Santarpia was general manager at Vevo.

Additionally, Lisa Valentino will add to her role as CNE’s chief revenue officer and lead digital sales for the company enterprise-wide. She and Josh Stinchcomb — was named senior VP of sales strategy — will work closely together. They both will report to Edward Menicheschi, CMO and president of Condé Nast Media, and Dawn Ostroff, president of CNE.

In the same announcement, Condé stated that Joe Simon, its chief technology officer, is out.

Morning Media Newsfeed: Seattle Affiliate Stays With Fox | Snapchat Announces Ads

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

KCPQ Will Pay More to Stay With Fox (TVSpy)
Tribune Media has signed an affiliation agreement with 21st Century Fox to keep Seattle’s KCPQ on as a Fox affiliate until July 2018. Deadline Hollywood Last month Fox said that it would withdraw its programming on Jan. 17. It wanted more lucrative terms from — or possibly to buy — the station in the home of the NFL’s 2014 Super Bowl champions. Tribune says that it will “pay additional programming fees to Fox for the primetime and sports content provided by the network” beginning in January. New York Post Tribune said that even with the stepped up fees, the station would deliver pretax profits in excess of last year’s $13 million. The new deal gives Fox a bigger cut of the revenue from Tribune’s carriage agreements with cable companies and other pay-TV providers. Station owners kick back some of their fees to the network. With the soaring cost of sports rights, the networks are leaning harder on their affiliates to recoup some of their programming costs. Variety During the dispute, Fox even went so far as to start the process of acquiring another station on the edges of the Seattle market to ramp up the pressure on Tribune to hand over KCPQ. The Fox O&O group orchestrated a similar station swap with Cox Media in the San Francisco market earlier this year. WSJ Fox, which paid for the broadcast rights to the NFL’s National Football Conference, had set out to own more television stations in markets where there is an NFC team, such as the Seattle Seahawks. Those stations tend to have high ratings, and by owning them outright rather than contracting with affiliate stations owned by other companies, Fox is able to collect more of the fees that pay-TV operators pay these local stations — not to mention local advertising dollars.

Read more

Condé Nast Cuts 50 Staffers

CondeNastLogoThe pink slips we mentioned the other day are starting to fly at Condé Nast. According to WWD, the company cut 50 from the business side. The result is 25 percent decrease of the company’s media department.

As expected, the layoffs came under the watch of relatively new CMO Edward Menicheschi. The former Vanity Fair publisher has only been on the job for three months, but he wasted no time getting his hands dirty via what are obviously cost-cutting moves.

Unfortunately for Condé staffers, the layoffs probably aren’t over. Magazine publishers are meeting with president Bob Sauerberg on Tuesday. If the publishers aren’t hitting their budgets, more cuts are likely on their way.

Condé Nast to Cut Between 70 and 80 Staffers

CondeNastLogoThe next few weeks are going to be a little tense at Condé Nast. According to the Wall Street Journal, 70 to 80 staffers — mostly on the publishing house’s ad side — are getting pink slips between now and the end of October.

The cuts are coming as Edward Menicheschi — who was named CMO and president in August — tries to tighten Condé’s belt. Menicheschi had previously served as Vanity Fair’s VP and publisher.

Menicheschi sure knows how to make his mark. This many layoffs would be the biggest round of cuts to hit Condé since 2012.

Morning Media Newsfeed: Cuts Hit CNN, HLN | Nielsen Revision Puts Nightly News on Top

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Layoffs Begin at CNN (TVNewser)
Layoffs have begun at CNN. As many as 300, or 8 percent, of CNN’s workforce is being cut in Atlanta, Washington, D.C., New York and Los Angeles. FishbowlDC Up to 28 positions are rumored to be eliminated Tuesday and Wednesday from CNN’s Washington bureau. In August, Turner sent out an email to staff including those at CNN, offering a voluntary separation program to employees 55 and over who have worked for Turner for 10 or more years. Mashable CNN has cut Christiane Amanpour’s entire staff in New York as part of the cable news channel’s restructuring. Amanpour, CNN’s chief international correspondent and anchor of a nightly foreign affairs program, will continue to produce international news segments for the network. TVNewser Jane Velez Mitchell’s nightly HLN show has been canceled as part of the cuts. Velez Mitchell will be leaving the network, as will the staff of the show — in all about 15 HLN employees. Capital New York In addition, CNN has shuttered its entertainment news unit, with some staff being laid off and others being folded into other departments. In addition, Darius Walker, VP and Northeast bureau chief, will leave the company. Politico / Dylan Byers on Media The cuts are hitting all of CNN’s bureaus, with several back-office and corporate layoffs hitting Atlanta last week. Turner Broadcasting is restructuring under a “2020″ plan, which will cut the company’s total workforce by 10 percent, eliminating nearly 1,500 positions across their channels. CNN is expected to reduce its workforce by about 8 percent. More layoffs are expected Wednesday.

Read more

Vogue Photographer Patiently Awaits His Next Assignment

In Toronto for the opening of an exhibition of his photos at Yorkville’s Izzy Gallery, famed Vogue photographer Arthur Elgort took the time to chat with Canadian Press.

IzzyGalleryArthurElgort

Among other things, he came up with a job title that really should be the one printed on Anna Wintour‘s Condé Nast business cards:

Vogue are not using me at the moment. I don’t know why,” said the genial 74-year-old New York native, who suffered a stroke in 2011. “I’m going to wait and send (Wintour) a Christmas card and say, ‘I’m ready for you anytime you’re ready for me.’ But I think she’s so busy now because I think now she’s the head of everything, and that’s a lot of things to do.”

Read more

<< PREVIOUS PAGENEXT PAGE >>