FishbowlDC TVNewser TVSpy LostRemote AgencySpy PRNewser GalleyCat SocialTimes

Posts Tagged ‘Dish’

Morning Media Newsfeed: Sony Pulls The Interview | 21st Century Fox Acquires TrueX

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

9/11 Threats From Sony Hackers Cause Company to Drop The Interview (FishbowlNY)
In light of the recent threats of violence from those responsible for the ongoing cyber attacks against Sony Pictures (aka the “Guardians of Peace”), the company has decided to pull the plug on Seth Rogen and James Franco‘s latest movie, The Interview. The film was scheduled to premiere nationwide on Christmas day. PRNewser Tuesday, the hackers’ threats turned to violence, invoking 9/11 and implying that someone would attack theaters screening The Interview. The movie’s planned New York premiere was subsequently cancelled. Rogen and Franco also cancelled all further press dates. Time American officials have determined the government of North Korea is connected to the hack, a U.S. official confirmed Wednesday. Much remains unclear about the nature of North Korea’s involvement. The country, while lauding the hack against Sony, has denied being behind it. There were conflicting reports Wednesday evening, and officials are expected to unveil their findings Thursday. THR Sony decided to pull The Interview from all theaters Wednesday in response to the decision by the country’s major chains not to show the film. The country’s top five theater chains — Regal Entertainment, AMC Entertainment, Cinemark, Carmike Cinemas and Cineplex Entertainment — chose to pull The Interview from their theaters Wednesday. Variety Sony is weighing releasing the film on premium video-on-demand, according to an insider. That would allow the studio to recoup some of the film’s $42 million budget and tens of millions in promotion and advertising expenditures. It would also enable the studio to experiment with the potential of VOD, something it has been hesitant to do at the risk of angering major exhibitors. TheWrap Wednesday, New Regency pulled the plug on its Steve Carell movie Pyongyang, which Gore Verbinski had been prepping for a March start date. Based on the graphic novel by Guy Delisle, Pyongyang is a paranoid thriller about a Westerner’s experiences working in North Korea for a year.

Read more

Mediabistro Course

Middle Grade Novel Writing

Middle Grade Novel WritingStarting January 15, work with a literary agent to write your middle-grade novel! In this course, you'll learn how to develop strong characters, write compelling dialogue, master the art of revision, and market your work to publishing houses and agents. Register now!

Morning Media Newsfeed: NBC News Reups Williams | Jana Winter Joins The Intercept

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Brian Williams Signs New Deal With NBC (TVNewser)
NBC’s Brian Williams, who just celebrated 10 years as anchor of NBC Nightly News, has signed a new long-term deal with the network. THR Saying that he has “renewed his commitment” to the network’s news division, NBC News president Deborah Turness said in a staff memo that he will continue to serve as anchor and managing editor of the nightly broadcast “for years to come.” LA Times Though Williams will acknowledge only that it’s a long-term deal, insiders at the network say it will keep him at the helm of NBC Nightly News for at least five more years. He didn’t disclose his financial compensation, but it’s said to be more than $10 million a year. CNNMoney He is presently the longest-serving nightly news anchor, competing every weeknight against David Muir, who just took over ABC’s World News three months ago, and Scott Pelley, who became the anchor of the CBS Evening News three years ago. NYT The news ratings have been more competitive over the last year. This past summer, ABC’s newscast edged ahead of NBC for a number of weeks among the viewers most sought by news advertisers, those from the ages of 25 to 54. Williams continues to win virtually every week among total viewers, averaging more than 9 million a night, the program’s best total in almost a decade. In recent weeks he has also moved ahead again among the 25-54 group.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Crowley to Leave CNN | Mass Exodus at TNR, Issue Canned

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Candy Crowley Leaving CNN (TVNewser)
Candy Crowley, a 27-year CNN veteran, is leaving the network. The move was announced in an email from CNN Worldwide president Jeff Zucker. FishbowlDC Crowley’s career at CNN began in 1987 as a political correspondent, where she covered a handful of successful and unsuccessful presidential campaigns, including those of Pat Buchanan, George H.W. Bush, George W. Bush, Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, Ronald Reagan and Mitt Romney, among others. In 2012, she became the first woman to moderate a presidential debate. THR Crowley currently serves as CNN’s chief political correspondent and anchor of its Sunday morning show State of The Union With Candy Crowley. Staffing has been relatively stable at CNN over the last year. Though the arrival of Zucker marked several departures, politicos James Carville and Mary Matalin among them, other changes have been gradual. Piers Morgan notably left after sinking ratings for his 9 p.m. telecast earlier in 2014. Capital New York Crowley, Zucker wrote, “has let us know that she has made the decision to move on… As difficult as it is for us to imagine CNN without Candy, we know that she comes to this decision thoughtfully, she has our full support,” the email said. The reason for Crowley’s departure was not made clear. Politico / Dylan Byers on Media Zucker did not mention who would replace Crowley on State of The Union. The network will be keeping the show, a spokesperson confirmed.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Big Changes at TNR | CBS, Dish Deadline Passes Without Blackout

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Big Changes at The New Republic (FishbowlNY)
In this, the New Republic’s 100th year, a new direction. FishbowlDC Franklin Foer, editor of TNR, sent out a staff email Thursday announcing his resignation from the magazine. Capital New York Literary editor Leon Wieseltier is also out. Gabriel Snyder, a former editor of The Atlantic Wire and most recently a digital adviser at Bloomberg, has been tapped to succeed Foer, TNR chief executive Guy Vidra wrote in an email to staff. Furthermore, the magazine will be reducing its frequency from 20 to 10 issues a year, moving from Washington D.C. to an office in New York City’s Union Square and “making some changes to staff structure,” Vidra added. HuffPost Speculation had run rampant that Foer might leave the magazine, which he returned to edit in 2012 following its sale to Facebook co-founder Chris Hughes. Some staffers fear that Hughes and chief executive Vidra are too focused on increasing Web traffic, and that such a strategy could pull the magazine away from its legacy of narrative journalism and criticism. In his memo to staff Thursday, Foer acknowledged the competing plans for the magazine’s future. “Chris and Guy have significant plans for this place,” he wrote. “And their plans and my own vision for TNR meaningfully diverge.” Politico / Dylan Byers on Media Hughes bought TNR in 2012 at the age of 28 with ambitions of restoring its esteemed place in Washington media. Instead, TNR failed to hire marquee names, struggled to attract advertisers and failed to gain a prominent place in the conversation.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: North Korea Doesn’t Deny Breach | ABC News Debuts GoStream

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

North Korea Refuses to Deny Sony Pictures Cyber Attack (BBC News)
Sony is investigating after its computers were attacked and unreleased films were made available on the Internet. When asked if it was involved in the attack, a spokesman for the North Korean government replied: “Wait and see.” THR Asked about the cyber attack, a spokesman for North Korea’s U.N. mission told BBC News, “The hostile forces are relating everything to the DPRK [North Korea]. I kindly advise you to just wait and see.” The FBI said on Tuesday that it is currently part of the investigation into the cyber attack. Variety Among other scenarios, Sony Pictures is looking into the possibility that hackers with ties to North Korea were responsible. That is presumed to be retaliation for the studio’s scheduled Dec. 25 release of The Interview, a geopolitical spoof starring James Franco and Seth Rogen, in which the duo are approached by the CIA about assassinating North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un. An unofficial North Korean spokesman decried the film earlier this summer. Mashable A group calling itself GOP (Guardian of Peace) hacked into Sony Pictures Entertainment’s website last week, taking down nearly all of its internal systems with it. Nearly a week later, the fruits of the raid are beginning to trickle out into the public. More than 27GB of documents that appear to be from internal Sony Pictures Entertainment file servers have already been leaked. NYT The documents contained the pre-bonus annual salaries of senior executives, 17 of whom are shown earning more than $1 million a year. The breach exposed two things the secretive movie industry loathes the most — the piracy of films and details about executive compensation — and sent a ripple of dread across Hollywood. On Pastebin, hackers released what they said were “tens of terabytes” of internal Sony data. The post — titled “Gift of G.O.P.” — included links to various data archives which appeared to contain Sony employees’ passwords, Social Security numbers, salaries and performance reviews. The studio has offered to enroll employees in a fraud protection program.  Executives at the entertainment company said they were also making progress in fighting the apparently related Internet pirating of five complete films, including the unreleased Annie.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: 16 Million Watch Ferguson Grand Jury | Orman to Leave CNBC

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

16 Million Tune in to Cable News for Ferguson Grand Jury Announcement (TVNewser)
The news surrounding the grand jury’s decision in the Darren Wilson case gave cable news channels a ratings surge Monday. While the decision had been reached by mid-afternoon, news channels had seven hours to consider the result as it was not announced until the 9 p.m. ET hour, when daytime viewership peaked. Capital New York During the 9 p.m. hour, when the decision was revealed, Fox News averaged 7.26 million total viewers, including 2.19 million adults 25 to 54. CNN averaged 6.26 million total viewers, including 3.16 million adults 25-54, and MSNBC averaged 2.20 million total viewers, including 742,000 adults aged 25 to 54. Mediaite The peak for CNN came not at 9 p.m. when the decision was announced, but instead during the second half of the 10 p.m. hour when the network reached 3.558 million demo viewers. With 7.256 million viewers during the 9 p.m. hour, Fox’s The Kelly File was the overall winner for the night. Variety Both The Kelly File and Hannity scored all-time highs in terms of overall viewers and audience in the advertiser-desired demo of 25 to 54. CNN’s Anderson Cooper was able to trump Fox News’ Megyn Kelly in the 25-to-54 demo at 9 p.m. In late-night viewership, CNN lured more viewers overall and in the demo at both 11 p.m. and midnight, according to Nielsen. THR / The Live Feed Many TV networks chimed in, with some broadcast nets interrupting primetime with President Obama’s remarks on the matter and each of the cable news outlets covering it well into the night. Some segments from the center of the embattled town even got too close, with CNN’s Sara Sidner being hit with a rock on air.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Aereo Files for Bankruptcy | MSNBC Hires Ex-WH Staffer

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Aereo Files for Bankruptcy (TVSpy)
With a post on the company’s blog Friday morning, Aereo founder and CEO Chet Kanojia announced the company had filed for bankruptcy protection. THR The digital TV service, which broadcast network owners battled in courts for offering access to broadcast TV signals via digital devices, made a voluntary Chapter 11 filing, it said in the statement. “We encountered significant challenges from the incumbent media companies,” said Kanojia in the statement. Mashable Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection is typically expensive and allows for the company to restructure its debt. While filing for bankruptcy does not necessarily mean the end of the business, Kanojia struck a tone in a statement on Aereo’s website that insinuated the company was done. Variety New York-based Aereo had raised about $97 million, from investors including IAC chairman Barry Diller, media investor Gordon Crawford, Himalaya Capital Management, Highland Capital Partners and FirstMark Capital. Earlier this month Aereo laid off a majority of its staff, including employees in New York and Boston. The company said a small executive team of about a dozen people would remain. GigaOM Aereo’s bankruptcy petition shows it owes roughly $2 million to a list of creditors that include Internet companies like Level 3 and Google, as well as several law firms. But the most significant creditors on the list are names like ABC and Fox, the TV networks that are continuing to sue Aereo over copyright infringement. Aereo’s filing simply states “unknown” in the amount owed to the “litigation party” TV stations, which also include PBS, Telemundo and NBC.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Fager to Step Down, Return to 60 Minutes | WaPo, Kindle Partner Up

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Jeff Fager Stepping Down as Chairman of CBS News, Returns Full Time to 60 Minutes (TVNewser)
Jeff Fager is leaving his role as chairman of CBS News and turning his “full attention” to 60 Minutes. FishbowlDC Fager served as CBS News’ chairman for four years, and had worked as the executive producer of 60 Minutes for seven years before that. THR / The Live Feed Fager has also extended his current contract as executive producer through 2019. As for a replacement, president David Rhodes now assumes sole leadership of CBS News. Fager assumed the role of chairman at a pivotal time for CBS, on the eve of Katie Couric’s exit from the CBS Evening News. June of 2011 saw current anchor, and longtime 60 Minutes correspondent, Scott Pelley, assume the role of lead anchor for the nightly news telecast. NYT CBS cast the moves as an orderly transition that was set in motion four years ago when Leslie Moonves, the CBS chief executive, asked Fager to take over supervision of the news division while remaining as executive producer of 60 Minutes. In his own memo, Fager said of Rhodes, “I hired him almost four years ago with this moment in mind, and he has exceeded all expectations.” Capital New York Fager’s dual roles as chairman of CBS News and E.P. of 60 Minutes did lead to some controversy. Last year, a flawed report about the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya led to an internal investigation and the suspension of Lara Logan, who has since returned to the network.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Netflix Ups Global Expansion | Turner, CBS Prep for Dish Blackout

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Netflix to Expand to Australia, New Zealand (THR)
Netflix is continuing its march worldwide, unveiling plans on Tuesday to expand to Australia and New Zealand. The streaming service said that it will expand to those countries in March 2015. Variety Pricing for a subscription to Netflix in the countries will be announced “at a later date.” In a press release, Netflix said the Australia and New Zealand collection will include upcoming original series Marco Polo, animated BoJack Horseman and kids titles including DreamWorks Animation’s All Hail King Julien. Movies and TV shows will be available in high definition and in 4K where possible. GigaOM The launch will bring the number of countries Netflix is available in to more than 50 and the announcement is not unexpected: Netflix CFO David Wells said earlier this month that the company plans a “sizeable expansion” for 2015 and Netflix has reportedly been preparing to enter Australia by hiring local agencies for a launch campaign. WSJ He said over the next three to five years, Netflix believes it is possible to generate 50 percent of its revenues from countries outside the U.S., up from about 28 percent now. Assuming that Netflix signs up 10 percent of broadband households outside the U.S., Wells says, it is possible for the company to have about 50 million to 60 million non-U.S. subscribers or even more. The company had 14.4 million international paying customers at the end of the third quarter, compared with 36.3 million U.S. customers. Deadline The initiative positions Netflix for an interesting fight: Only about 30 percent of Australian households subscribe to pay TV, far less than in the U.S. and even less than in the U.K., where about half subscribe. Australia’s leading distributor, Foxtel, expected to see some competition from streaming services and recently halved the price of its basic service.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: DWA, Hasbro Merger Talks End | The Onion Exploring Sale

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

DreamWorks Animation, Hasbro End Merger Talks (THR)
Hasbro has called off merger negotiations with DreamWorks Animation, sources say. The deal chatter, which became public on Wednesday, appears to have been derailed in part by the performance of Hasbro’s stock and potentially the high price sought by DreamWorks Animation CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg. WSJ News last week that the toy maker was in early acquisition talks with the film studio drove the two companies’ stocks in opposite directions. Hasbro investors sent the toy company’s share price down more than 4 percent on Thursday and nearly 2 percent on Friday, when they settled at $54.02 on Nasdaq. Adweek DreamWorks reportedly wanted $30 per share, a relatively steep incline for stock trading at roughly $22. NYT / DealBook Also playing a role was a negative private reaction by the Walt Disney Company, which comprises roughly 30 percent of Hasbro’s business through licenses for Star Wars, Marvel characters, Frozen and the Disney Princesses toy line. Variety Neither side has officially commented on why the talks fell apart, nor the potential of a deal. Hasbro follows recent conversations DWA has had to sell the toon studio. In September, it discussed such a sale with Japanese tech giant SoftBank, that also ended just days later.

Read more

NEXT PAGE >>