TVNewser FishbowlDC AgencySpy TVSpy LostRemote PRNewser SocialTimes AllFacebook 10,000 Words GalleyCat UnBeige MediaJobsDaily

Posts Tagged ‘DreamWorks Animation’

Morning Media Newsfeed: Dean Baquet Treated for Cancer | Julianna Goldman to CBS

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

New York Times Editor Treated for Cancer (NYT)
Dean Baquet, the executive editor of The New York Times, had a malignant tumor removed from his kidney on Saturday and will spend about a week away from the office while recovering, he said in an email to the newspaper’s staff on Monday morning. FishbowlNY In the memo to Times staffers, Baquet sounded upbeat about the situation. He described the surgery as “minimally invasive” and “completely successful.” “My doctors have given me an excellent prognosis,” added Baquet. New York Post The tumor was discovered by doctors on June 12, Baquet said in the email — and the decision was made that the situation needed “immediate attention.” HuffPost Baquet assured his newsroom that he would be back “as soon as possible.” “I know this comes as we are all trying to move forward in the newsroom,” he wrote. He told the newsroom in his email that he would be keeping “in touch”with the paper’s leaders while he stayed at home to recover. Capital New York The news of Baquet’s illness comes promptly after a period of upheaval at the paper. Baquet, 57, took the top editorial position on the Times masthead only last month, after the surprise dismissal of Jill Abramson. As managing editor, Baquet had been Abramson’s second in command. He has yet to appoint his own.

Read more

Mediabistro Course

Freelancing 101

Freelancing 101Starting August 18, learn how to manage a top-notch freelancing career in our online boot camp, Freelancing 101! Through a series of weeklong webcasts, you'll hear from freelancing experts who will teach you the best practices for a solid freelancing career, from the first steps of self-advertising and marketing, to building your schedule and securing new clients. Register now! 

Morning Media Newsfeed: Prometheus Buys Mediabistro | FNC Books Clinton | Fox’s Reilly to Step Down

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Prometheus Global Media to Acquire Mediabistro (FishbowlNY)
Thursday morning, Mediabistro announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to sell its editorial and e-commerce assets to PGM-MB Holdings, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Prometheus Global Media, for $8 million cash. FishbowlDC As part of the deal, PrometheusGM will add to its portfolio mediabistro.com and editorial sites including FishbowlDC, FishbowlNY, TVNewser and PRNewser, as well as the Mediabistro Job Board, and Mediabistro’s education business. THR Prometheus Global Media is the parent company of The Hollywood Reporter, Billboard and Adweek magazines. Mashable The deal still needs shareholder approval, which could happen by mid-July. The tradeshow portion of the company will remain with Mediabistro CEO Alan Meckler under a new company — Mecklermedia. The company’s 3D printing and bitcoin assets are also not a part of the deal. The site gained a following in media circles, particularly in New York and Washington, D.C., thanks in part to its job board and professional skill development courses. The acquisition provides Prometheus with a new cadre of editorial pieces that fit with the company’s other focused media assets. Prometheus also runs the Clio Awards for advertising and the movie event company Film Expo Group. Poynter / MediaWire Mediabistro alums include Brian Stelter, who wrote for TVNewser and now hosts Reliable Sources at CNN, and Patrick Gavin, who worked for FishbowlDC. In 2007, Laurel Touby sold Mediabistro.com for $23 million.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Second TV HQ Seized | Twitter Stock Tanks | Filmmaker Strikes Deal With the AP

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Pro-Russian Separatists Seize TV HQ In Eastern Ukraine (Reuters)
Pro-Russian separatists took control of the regional prosecutor’s office and television center in the eastern city of Luhansk on Tuesday, having earlier seized the government headquarters, a Reuters photographer said. BBC News Activists went into the regional television station, but decided not to take it over after they were allowed to make a live broadcast. Following the takeovers, President Oleksandr Turchynov demanded the dismissal of the police chiefs in Luhansk and the other eastern city of Donetsk. Business Insider Pro-Russian separatists have now seized government buildings in at least 10 cities throughout the eastern part of the country. Pro-Russian activists have also shot the mayor of Kharkiv, Ukraine’s second-largest city. All the while, journalists throughout eastern Ukraine routinely face intimidation amid the threat of kidnapping and assault. The Guardian About 3,000 activists — some in masks and military fatigues — stormed the regional government HQ and other key buildings. A pro-Russian militia had occupied the security service office in Luhansk, a town of 465,000, just 20 miles from the Russian border. In recent days, Kiev’s tentative grip on local law enforcement in the east appears to have slipped completely. In Luhansk, riot police stood passively in a courtyard. “The regional leadership does not control its police force,” Stanislav Rechynsky, an aide to the interior minister in Kiev said. “The local police did nothing.” WSJ The latest moves in Ukraine’s eastern Luhansk region came despite a new wave of sanctions on Russia by the U.S. and European Union aimed at forcing the Kremlin to rein in the activists, who have echoed Russian President Vladimir Putin in denouncing Ukraine’s two-month-old government as illegal. The attacks on Luhansk’s regional police headquarters, administration building, prosecutor’s office and television broadcasting facilities mark the biggest advance for the pro-Russia rebels since early April, when militants took control of the regional building of Ukraine’s state-security service, the SBU.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Court Orders Video Down | Former Editor Stabbed | TiVo Posts Profit

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

YouTube Ordered to Take Down Anti-Muslim Film (The Associated Press / The Big Story)
A U.S. appeals court ordered YouTube on Wednesday to take down an anti-Muslim film that sparked violent riots in parts of the Middle East and death threats to the actors. The decision by a divided three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco reinstated a lawsuit filed against YouTube by an actress who appeared briefly in the 2012 video that led to rioting and deaths because of its negative portrayal of the Prophet Muhammad. U.S. News & World Report A trailer promoting the film was blamed for murderous rampages in Muslim-majority countries in 2012 and was initially cited by some U.S. officials as the cause of the Sept. 11, 2012, attack that killed U.S. ambassador Christopher Stevens in Benghazi, Libya. Time The appeals court found that the copyright of one of the stars of the video had been infringed upon because the actress, Cindy Lee Garcia, agreed to appear in something other than what was produced. The film, entitled Innocence of Muslims, depicted the prophet Mohammed as a liar and a child molester. “Garcia’s performance was used in a way that she found abhorrent and her appearance in the film subjected her to threats of physical harm and even death,” chief judge Alex Kozinski wrote for the majority court. The Verge It’s well established that most people involved in Innocence of Muslims had no idea they were appearing in a diatribe against Islam. Garcia was paid $500 for a bit part in sword and sandals movie Desert Warrior, but she later found her footage had been edited for the new film and overdubbed with one of the most controversial lines: “Is your Mohammed a child molester?”

Read more

DreamWorks Co-founder Katzenberg Thinks Hollywood Tonic Is In 3D

katznberg.jpgmadagascar.jpgDreamWorks Animation CEO Jeff Katzenberg brought his dog-and-pony show — the same one he gave to the media boys at Herb Allen‘s Sun Valley Media Conference in July — to Wall Street yesterday.

Wall Street allowed Katzenberg to makes his claims. Maybe, like all overgrown kids, they just liked watching cartoons.

Variety told how Katzenberg offered a bunch of clips from “Madagascar 3″ and stories of opening night jitters for “Shrek, the Musical.”

FBLA, however, was unsure whether the big swinging dicks on Wall Street were forced to wear those crazy 3D glasses.

On you, they look good.