Veteran reporter Tim Minton is the latest in a long line of staffers to leave WNBC. Unlike the majority of others who didn’t have contracts renewed (including Glenn Zimmerman, profiled last week), Minton chose to walk away on his terms.
“I want to produce different types of content… and I want to have a role in managing it,” Minton tells FishbowlNY.
He says it’s all about timing, given the state of the local TV news today; it was the time to make a break for it.
Minton says he began discussions with executives “up to the very highest level of the company” in the last two years. Ultimately, Minton says it was a variety of factors that that led him to the decision last month of walking away. His last day was January 7.
He points out that choosing to leave is in no way a reflection over the product he’s churned out in the 12 years at WNBC. An 18-time Emmy Award winner, Minton says he was compensated generously.
“For me, it goes beyond what do you want to do in the next three months or six months?” Minton admits. “It’s what do you want to do in two years, five years, ten years? And what’s the vision of the industry down the road?”