TVNewser FishbowlDC AgencySpy TVSpy LostRemote PRNewser SocialTimes AllFacebook 10,000 Words GalleyCat UnBeige MediaJobsDaily

Posts Tagged ‘HLN’

Morning Media Newsfeed: 550 Buyouts, Layoffs at Turner | Amazon Acquires Twitch

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

550 Buyouts, Layoffs Imminent at Turner; HLN, CNN Among Cuts (The Wrap)
Some 550 buyouts are to be offered at Time Warner’s Turner network this week, including a large number of those at CNN and HLN, which will lead to layoffs if they are not taken voluntarily, according to an individual with knowledge of the network’s plans. TVNewser CNN chief Jeff Zucker will certainly want to protect CNN’s investment in original series and documentaries; the type of programming he’s gone all in on since taking the reins last year. Which departments and programming are affected by cuts remains to be seen. Variety Word of the staff cuts comes at a time when key Turner nets are at a crossroads. Turner’s entertainment networks are poised for a management overhaul following the departure in April of Steve Koonin as entertainment group chief. Meanwhile, CNN sibling HLN has been rumored to be in for a major makeover, possibly in a partnership deal between Time Warner and Vice Media. B&C The buyouts are part of the Time Warner unit’s efforts to cut costs as part of new CEO John Martin’s Turner 2020 plan aimed at cutting costs and aligning spending with company priorities. Turner officials had no comment, but sources said that the voluntary layoffs will be offered throughout Turner, including its news networks CNN and HLN, as well as its entertainment networks, including TNT and TBS. The company is not aiming at a specific headcount but rather is seeking to hit an expense number that includes personnel and other costs. THR The plan at Turner, which employs about 14,000 people worldwide, involves a formula that will allow workers at least age 55 and with a certain number of years seniority to take a buyout somewhat more generous than the usual two weeks of pay for every one year of service, according to a person familiar with the situation.

Read more

Mediabistro Course

Magazine Writing

Magazine WritingStarting September 4, learn how to get your work in top publications! You'll learn how to create captivating stories editors will want and readers will love, understand which magazines are right for your stories, craft compelling pitch letters, and more! You'll leave this class with two polished articles and corresponding pitch letters. Register now! 

Morning Media Newsfeed: Journalist Freed in Syria | WaPo Editorials Stop Using ‘Redskins’

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Kidnapped U.S. Journalist Freed in Syria (Al Jazeera)
An American journalist kidnapped nearly two years ago has been freed in Syria following Qatari mediation and handed over to UN peacekeepers in the Golan Heights. TVNewser Peter Theo Curtis, an author and freelance journalist from Massachusetts, had been held by Jabhat Al-Nusrah, an Al Qaeda affiliate in Syria. He was captured shortly after crossing into Syria in October 2012. Mashable Curtis writes under the name Theo Padnos, and had published two books, including Undercover Muslim: A Journey Into Yemen. Curtis was originally based in Boston and Vermont, and later worked as a journalist in Yemen, where he became interested in the stories of young Muslim men moving to the U.S. to study Islam. WSJ His family said while it didn’t know the exact terms of their son’s release, they were assured by Qatari officials “that they were mediating for Theo’s release on a humanitarian basis,” without paying ransom. Mediaite Video of Curtis was disseminated in late June, showing the journalist disheveled but otherwise in good health. Curtis’ release comes just days after ISIS posted video showing the execution of captured American journalist James Foley.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Condé Nast Names CMO | Gregory Writing Book on Jewish Faith

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Edward Menicheschi Named CMO of Condé Nast (FishbowlNY)
Edward Menicheschi has been named chief marketing officer and president of Condé Nast. Menicheschi most recently served as Vanity Fair’s VP and publisher. New York Post Menicheschi will replace Lou Cona, who is getting the boot. Some were speculating that Gina Sanders, the president of Condé’s Fairchild division, might land the vacant Vanity Fair job now that her group is being sold to Penske Media Corp. Capital New York Cona has served as the media group’s president and chief revenue officer since April 2013. As home to the publisher’s corporate and digital sales and marketing teams, the division is a central corridor of business-side power. Cona first ascended the corporate ladder to the media group in 2010 after his own stint as Vanity Fair’s vice president and publisher, and a run at The New Yorker before that. WWD Cona’s departure came as a surprise to some within Condé. In April 2013, he was promoted after he mused about retiring at the ripe age of 55. TheWrap Prior to Menicheschi’s role at Vanity Fair, he was president of WWD Media Worldwide. He has held a number of senior roles at Vogue and GQ.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: ISIS Claims to Execute Journalist | Condé Nast Sells Fairchild

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Kidnapped Journalist, Apparently Executed by ISIS (NBC News)
The Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham (ISIS) claims to have beheaded an American photojournalist and has threatened the life of another American journalist if President Obama doesn’t stop airstrikes in Iraq. TVNewser In a gruesome video, James Wright Foley, a freelance journalist for Global Post, is apparently beheaded by ISIS militants. The militants claim they are also holding journalist Steven Soltoff. HuffPost The YouTube video and photos purportedly of Foley emerged on Tuesday. Titled “A Message to #America (from the #IslamicState),” the video identified a man on his knees as “James Wright Foley” and showed his beheading. “This is James Wright Foley, an American citizen of your country,” an Islamic State militant says in the video, which has since been removed by YouTube. “As a government, you have been at the forefront of the aggression towards the Islamic State. You have plotted against us and have gone far out of your way to find reasons to interfere in our affairs. Today, your military air force is attacking us daily in Iraq, your strikes have caused casualties among Muslims.” Politico / Dylan Byers on Media Foley disappeared in northwest Syria on November 22, 2012. The White House said they have not yet confirmed the authenticity of the video. NYT In Washington, a National Security Council spokeswoman, Caitlin Hayden, said in a statement: “We have seen a video that purports to be the murder of U.S. citizen James Foley by ISIL. The intelligence community is working as quickly as possible to determine its authenticity. If genuine, we are appalled by the brutal murder of an innocent American journalist,” she said, using an alternative name for ISIS.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: NYT Profit Plummets | Twitter Beats Street, Stock Soars

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

NYT Profits Plummet 21 Percent (FishbowlNY)
As usual, the New York Times’ earnings report features both good and bad news. While the Times’ digital subscriptions continued to grow, the lack of print ad dollars weighed the paper down. HuffPost / AP The New York Times Co. on Tuesday reported earnings that declined by 54 percent in its second quarter, and missed analysts’ expectations. The New York-based company said net income declined to $9.2 million, or 6 cents per share, from $20.1 million, or 13 cents per share, in the same quarter a year earlier. Financial Times Adjusted operating profit, which strips out some one-time items including retirement costs and depreciation, fell 21 percent to $55.7 million. A fall in advertising sales and stepped-up investment in digital products sapped second-quarter profit at the Times as the publisher forecast flat circulation revenue and further declines in advertising in the coming months. Poynter / MediaWire The Times added 32,000 digital subscribers in the second quarter of 2014. The number was driven by its new products — the NYT Now and NYT Opinion apps and the new Times Premier subscription tier. Paid digital-only subscribers now total 831,000, the company said. Revenue from those subscriptions jumped 13.5 percent, to $41.7 million, from the same period a year ago. Total circulation revenue increased 1.4 percent. Mashable During the quarter, the company’s flagship newspaper fired top editor Jill Abramson and replaced her with former managing editor Dean Baquet. A Times spokesperson said at the time that Arthur Sulzberger Jr., publisher of the Times and chairman of The New York Times Company, was spurred by a desire to change how the newsroom was managed.

Read more

Dynamic Female Duo Now at the Helm of SheKnows

LeaAnnLemingPicThe best way to frame FishbowlNY’s phone conversation today with Lea Ann Leming, chief content officer of SheKnows (pictured, right), and newly hired editor-in-chief Amy Boshnack (pictured, below) is as follows. The company has been profitable for the past several years and expects a 30% increase in revenue in 2014.

Also worth mentioning is the fact that Cosmopolitan, a magazine where Boshnack served as managing editor from January 2005 to January 2008, has just revamped its website. When asked about the then-print vs. now-Web differences, Boshnack notes the obvious change in the speed of news and feature cycles. Per comScore, SheKnows currently averages around 40 million monthly uniques.

“A big thing for me is making sure the women reading us are having conversations,” Boshnack explains. “Part of what’s being done here is continuing to make sure that articles being published are about things women are talking about. And to feed that through our comments section, social media.”

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Google Buys Songza | MSNBC Holds Second Place

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Google in Deal for Songza, A Music Playlist Service (NYT)
In a sign of growing consolidation in the digital music business, Google announced on Tuesday that it had bought Songza, a three-year-old app that competes with Pandora and others in making customized playlists of recommended songs. Re/code The New York Post reported in June that the deal could be worth $15 million. Unlike some acquired startups, Songza won’t be shutting down. Its team will be joining Google in New York and helping with contextual recommendation features for Google Play and possibly YouTube down the line. GigaOM Songza offers custom curated playlists based on categories like genre, mood, decade and activity (“Drinking at A Dive Bar,” “’60s International,” etc.) and offers song suggestions based on the time of day and week. The service is free and songs aren’t interrupted by ads. THR The acquisition comes on the heels of Apple’s deal to purchase Beats Electronics and its streaming music service for $3 billion. Amazon also has jumped into the music streaming market with the launch of the Prime Music service, which comes as part of its $99 annual Prime subscription. The move appears to be part of Google’s plans to compete in this increasingly crowded music-streaming space, which is already dominated by Spotify. Variety Google said it plans to use Songza to make its Play Music service more attractive. The Songza purchase also comes as marketers are spending more on online and mobile radio services in the U.S. Ad sales generated $1.65 billion in the U.S. last year, a gain of 26.3 percent, according to digital research group eMarketer. That’s expected to increase another 23 percent to $2 billion this year.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Aereo Suspends Service | The View Loses Two

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Aereo Suspends Streaming TV Service, Weighs Next Steps (Variety)
Following the Supreme Court’s ruling on Wednesday in favor of broadcasters, Aereo announced early Saturday that it was pausing its streaming TV service at 11:30 a.m. ET. “We have decided to pause our operations temporarily as we consult with the court and map out our next steps,” Aereo CEO and founder Chet Kanojia wrote in a letter to subscribers. Deadline Hollywood The Barry Diller-backed company plans to consult with the U.S. District Court in New York, hearing broadcasters’ complaint against it after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in a 6-3 decision that the service violates station owners’ copyrights when it streams their over-the-air programming without permission. Users will receive a refund for their last paid month. Mediaite Notably, Kanojia calls the move a “pause” rather than a permanent end to operations, though it seems highly unlikely that the company will be able to move forward in any recognizable form following the decision. In an interview with Bloomberg TV earlier this year, he said the company had “no plan” to move forward if the court ruled against it. GigaOM Despite the obvious appeal of an Internet-based mobile TV service that offers a small bundle of channels, the TV industry is reluctant to change its current business model, which is based on selling large packages of channels, many of which consumers never watch. One option for Aereo may be to accept the Supreme Court’s declaration that it is a cable company, and seek a license from the broadcasters, although the economics of this might prove prohibitive. NYT The company had fewer than 500,000 subscribers in about a dozen metropolitan areas. Customers paid $8 to $12 a month to rent one of Aereo’s dime-size antennas that captured over-the-air television signals. They then could stream and record programs from major broadcasters using their mobile phones, tablets, laptops and Internet-connected televisions.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: USA-Portugal Hits Highs | Isikoff Joins Yahoo! News

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

18.2 Million Watch USA vs. Portugal, Most-Watched Soccer Match Ever on U.S. TV (TVNewser)
An average of 18.22 million viewers watched the USA tie Portugal (2-2) in World Cup action late Sunday afternoon on ESPN. That’s the most-watched soccer match ever on American TV and surpasses the previous high of 17,975,000 viewers for the 1999 Women’s World Cup final (USA vs. China) on ABC. TVSpy 1.3 million watched on the WatchESPN app. Washington, D.C., led all markets for the telecast with a 13.3 rating. AllFacebook The game resulted in approximately 20 million interactions (posts, comments and likes) by some 10 million Facebook users, according to the Facebook Data Science Team. In the U.S. alone, more than 4 million Facebook users were responsible for more than 7 million interactions related to the match. Financial Times An average of 24.7 million viewers watched Sunday’s performance on either ESPN or Univision, the Spanish-language network whose best football ratings have in the past often been for Mexico matches. Mashable Not only was that an all-time record for a soccer match, it also beat the average viewership for the 2013 World Series by 10 million viewers.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Dean Baquet Treated for Cancer | Julianna Goldman to CBS

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

New York Times Editor Treated for Cancer (NYT)
Dean Baquet, the executive editor of The New York Times, had a malignant tumor removed from his kidney on Saturday and will spend about a week away from the office while recovering, he said in an email to the newspaper’s staff on Monday morning. FishbowlNY In the memo to Times staffers, Baquet sounded upbeat about the situation. He described the surgery as “minimally invasive” and “completely successful.” “My doctors have given me an excellent prognosis,” added Baquet. New York Post The tumor was discovered by doctors on June 12, Baquet said in the email — and the decision was made that the situation needed “immediate attention.” HuffPost Baquet assured his newsroom that he would be back “as soon as possible.” “I know this comes as we are all trying to move forward in the newsroom,” he wrote. He told the newsroom in his email that he would be keeping “in touch”with the paper’s leaders while he stayed at home to recover. Capital New York The news of Baquet’s illness comes promptly after a period of upheaval at the paper. Baquet, 57, took the top editorial position on the Times masthead only last month, after the surprise dismissal of Jill Abramson. As managing editor, Baquet had been Abramson’s second in command. He has yet to appoint his own.

Read more

NEXT PAGE >>