TVNewser FishbowlDC AgencySpy TVSpy LostRemote PRNewser SocialTimes AllFacebook 10,000 Words GalleyCat UnBeige MediaJobsDaily

Posts Tagged ‘KFI’

Jim Ladd Will Get to Say Goodbye on KFI

KLOS-FM disc jockey Jim Ladd was one of a dozen employees abruptly laid off by Cumulus Media last week.

With no heads up from management, it appeared Ladd wouldn’t get a chance to say goodbye to his fans. But Gary Lycan of The Orange County Register reports Ladd will fill in for Lisa Ann Walter on Saturday, Nov. 5 from 4 p.m.-7 p.m.

“(KFI) Program Director Robin Bertolucci was very kind and asked me to do a show because I didn’t have a chance to say goodbye to my audience. I’m looking forward to it,” Ladd told Lycan via e-mail.

Kudos to KFI for doing the right thing and giving Ladd an outlet to conduct a proper farewell.

Jorge-Mario Cabrera Fires Back at John and Ken

Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles spokesman Jorge-Mario Cabrera fired back Thursday at John Kobylt and Kenneth Chiampou, saying the radio duo’s apology from earlier this week was, “a well-calculated, manipulative, and insulting public relations stunt meant to appease the opposition.”

KFI’s John and Ken apologized Monday for giving out the cellphone number of Cabrera on-air, resulting in reportedly hundreds of threatening phone calls and messages from listeners.

As a result of their actions, the National Hispanic Media Coalition launched an economic boycott against the show and KFI.

“If Clear Channel is sincere about establishing respectful dialogue with immigrant communities in Los Angeles, they should stop berating coalition members which include more than thirty respectable organizations,” Cabrera wrote on The Huffington Post. Read more

John and Ken Apologize to Jorge-Mario Cabrera

John Kobylt and Kenneth Chiampou apologized to Jorge-Mario Cabrera Monday on KFI for giving out his cellphone number on-air.

“We have been trying to tell Jorge that we here at the John and Ken show, we apologize for the hateful or any illegal calls that he received,” Kobylt said. “We’ve tried to contact him in person.  In fact, I called him last week, got his voicemail.  He hasn’t called back.”

As a result of John and Ken’s actions against Cabrera, the National Hispanic Media Coalition launched an economic boycott earlier this month against KFI. 

NHMC director of communications Rosalia Tenorio told FishbowlLA the organizations and its allies (LULAC, NCLR, and CHIRLA) “will not settle for nothing less than John and Ken’s dismissal from KFI.”

Along with the apology, KFI released a statement in hopes of setting the record straight regarding the NHMC boycott.

After the jump is KFI’s statement:

Read more

John and Ken Respond to Latino Boycott

On Friday’s John and Ken show, the KFI duo discussed the ongoing boycott led by the National Hispanic Media Coalition.

Vons, Ralphs, Verizon FIOS and AT&T Wireless all pulled their advertising last week from the show that reaches 1 million listeners.

The NHMC and the Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles (CHIRLA) also started an online petition asking Clear Channel Radio to yank John and Ken off the air.

“Nothing on the show is changing,” said John Kobylt. “We’re going to talk about illegal aliens all we want.”

It looks like this battle isn’t ending anytime soon.

After the jump is the entire John and Ken segment where they discuss their recent opposition:

Read more

Vons, Verizon FIOS Pull Ads From KFI’s John and Ken

Vons, Ralphs, Verizon FIOS and AT&T Wireless have all pulled their advertising from the John and Ken show on KFI, according to Alex Nogales, president and CEO of the National Hispanic Media Coalition.

The NHMC held a peaceful demonstration outside the Clear Channel office in Burbank Thursday, where Nogales provided an update to the media on their “Take John and Ken Off the Air” campaign.

John and Ken are under fire after giving out the cellphone number on-air of Jorge-Mario Cabrera, an immigrant rights activist for the Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles.

A handful of smaller organizations have also pulled their advertising, but an announcement on those companies isn’t expected until next week.

“They are concerned about the backlash from John and Ken telling their viewers that this occurred and to go picket them,” Nogales told FishbowlLA. “We will wait until we have a mass in terms of the smaller advertisers and that will probably happen by next week.”

The NHMC are looking into possible legal options as well. “We have our attorneys looking at privacy laws here in the state of California to see if we can go that way,” Nogales added. “We have our DC lawyers going to the FCC to see if we have a case over there.”

Read more

Three Advertisers Reportedly Pull Ads From KFI

Three advertisers agreed to pull their ads from the John and Ken show on KFI, according to the National Hispanic Media Coalition.

The afternoon talk show has come under fire after giving out the cellphone number of Jorge-Mario Cabrera, an immigrant rights activist for the Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles.

Information regarding all three advertisers — two national and one local — will be released Thursday during a press conference and peaceful demonstration outside the Clear Channel office in Burbank.

“We expect that most – if not all – of the advertisers will pull out their ads in support of our campaign against the hate speech targeting Latinos and other people of color on KFI’s “John and Ken Show,” said Alex Nogales, president and CEO of the National Hispanic Media Coalition. “We will hold the peaceful demonstration in exercise of our freedom of speech protesting John and Ken’s demonization of Latinos and others with which they disagree.”

‘John and Ken’ Boycott is on After Canceled Meeting

The National Hispanic Media Coalition is moving forward with a boycott of the John and Ken radio show after KFI management canceled a meeting with the immigrant rights group.

“I’m more than happy to sit down with anybody who has a concern and talk it out but we’re not going to be held hostage to demands that are outlandish,” Greg Ashlock, market manager for Clear Channel Radio Los Angeles told the Los Angeles Times.

The group is upset over John and Ken giving out the cellphone number of Jorge-Mario Cabrera, an immigrant rights activist for the Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles. Cabrera received more than 400 phone calls as a result.

After the jump are statements from KFI and the National Hispanic Media Coalition.

Read more

Former John and Ken Victim Stands Up for KFI Duo

Local social commentator Jasmyne A. Cannick is no stranger to the wrath of John and Ken.

Cannick’s cellphone number was read on-air and posted on the KFI website in 2005 over a protest she organized against the death penalty and execution of Stanley “Tookie” Williams — similar to what immigrant rights activist Jorge-Mario Cabrera went through last month.

Cannick wrote an op-ed Monday for the Daily News on how to handle the conservative duo.

Her advice? Drop the boycott and focus on registering voters:

“I understand why Jon and Ken did it. Had it been my show, I’d have done the same thing. As a professional communications director and press secretary, these types of things just come with the territory.

Read more

Latino Rights Groups Want KFI’s John and Ken Fired

KFI’s John Kobylt and Kenneth Chiampou, better known as John and Ken, are a conservative lightning rod of controversy to say the very least.

But the radio shock jocks might have finally crossed the line after giving out the cellphone number on-air of Jorge-Mario Cabrera, an immigrant rights activist for the Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles.

The National Hispanic Media Coalition is teaming up with the National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials and the National Immigration Law Center in an effort to get KFI to fire John and Ken or face a boycott of the station’s sponsors.

Cabrera received more than 400 phone calls from people opposing the California Dream Act, which would make state financial aid available to undocumented immigrants and out-of-state students attending state schools.

Read more

Jay Lawrence Leaving KFI

jaylawrence.jpgThe voice of Orange County and the Inland Empire was laid off by KFI AM 640 last week. Jay Lawrence, 60, who got his start as a college stringer, reporting golf games, says that in his 18 years reporting for the radio station he survived firestorms, earthquakes and being shot at. But budget cuts got him.

“They called me in the office on Thursday and said, ‘Goodbye. Here’s your severance check,’” Lawrence told FBLA.

Lawrence is good-natured about his own situation, but he is not optimistic about the future of corporate radio.

“They’re really giving up quality for quantity,” Lawrence said. “It’s sad that the bean counters have no idea about the news business. I have a feeling that it’s going to bite them in the butt down the line.”

He also fears for the next generation: “There are a lot of kids out there that are probably the greatest broadcasters in the world, but the pay is going to be nothing.”

KFI is owned by ClearChannel.

Lawrence said his plans include getting a heart stent on Jan. 12, a lot of rest, some golf and getting up a normal hour.

“I’ve been getting up for 20 years now at 3:30 in the morning. Sometimes when I’d have to go into Burbank (from his home in Dana Point), I’d get up at 2,” he said. “I’m going to try to take it easy. I can’t get upset with it because I knew the budget cuts were coming, but it was shock.”

Lawrence said he might try to do voice overs. But he’s probably done with news: It’s been a great life, but it’s been a grind. It’s nice to be driving around now and listen to music and not have to worry about listening to LA news stations.”

<< PREVIOUS PAGE