FishbowlDC TVNewser TVSpy LostRemote AgencySpy PRNewser GalleyCat SocialTimes

Posts Tagged ‘New York Times’

Daily Newspaper Vet Gives Print Delivery the Boot

MaxBootTwitterProfilePicOver the years, Max Boot (pictured) has worked as an editorial writer and op-ed editor for the Wall Street Journal, assistant national editor at the Christian Science Monitor and as a columnist for the Los Angeles Times. During his high school days in Reseda, California, he was the editor of both the official Cleveland High School newspaper and a second underground publication there.

As Boot writes today in Commentary, he never thought he’d see the day when no newspapers would be delivered to his doorstep. But after downscaling to weekend delivery, he has today officially made the switch to digital subscriptions only:

So what happened? In a word, the iPad. Blame or credit Steve Jobs: I have found that it’s simply easier to read newspapers on my iPad, rather than slogging downstairs to pick up the print copy – if it’s there.

Read more

The Most Popular FishbowlNY Posts for The Week

StephenMSilvermanTwitterProfilePicHere’s a look at the FishbowlNY posts that made the most buzz this week.

1) People Editor Has a Rough Weekend

2) NY Times Vet Bill Carter Takes Buyout

3) Jed Hartman Leaves Time Inc. for WaPo

4) More NY Times Buyouts

5) Here is Condé Nast Traveler‘s New Logo

Keep up-to-date with the latest FishbowlNY news. Click here to sign up for the FishbowlNY daily newsletter, bringing you our articles each afternoon directly to your inbox.

[Image via: @stephenmsilverm]

Morning Media Newsfeed: Snyderman Apologizes on Air | Elliott Takes NYT Buyout

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

snyderman

Dr. Nancy Snyderman Apologizes: ‘Good People Can Make Mistakes’ (TVNewser)
Dr. Nancy Snyderman returned to NBC News Wednesday morning to report a story on depression in America. But the segment began with Matt Lauer pressing her on why she violated a voluntary quarantine following an Ebola reporting trip to Liberia. PRNewser Rather than just saying she was sorry for breaking the rules, she and Lauer got more specific about what exactly went wrong. Besides “scaring my community,” she says she was guilty of “adding to the confusion of terms.” THR Snyderman initially apologized for her team violating its voluntary quarantine, but now, almost two months later, she’s admitted that she, herself, broke the rules and apologized for that. “I’m very sorry for…scaring my community and the country,” she said on Wednesday’s Today, later adding, “I stepped outside the boundaries of what I promised to do and what was expected of me and for that I’m sorry.” HuffPost Snyderman had been absent from the network since October after traveling to Liberia with an NBC News crew — which included cameraman Ashoka Mukpo, a former Ebola patient — and then failing to voluntarily confine herself to a 21-day quarantine. Her actions caused outrage and heightening fear among the public after discovery that her colleague had contracted the virus. Snyderman issued a statement shortly after breaking quarantine in October, but questions lingered about the date of her return to the network (or whether she would return at all). Variety Snyderman’s colleague eventually recovered from the disease, and Snyderman and the rest of her team remained symptom-free. Wednesday, she added that she hopes her mistake hasn’t drawn attention from the bigger story.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: North Korea Doesn’t Deny Breach | ABC News Debuts GoStream

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

North Korea Refuses to Deny Sony Pictures Cyber Attack (BBC News)
Sony is investigating after its computers were attacked and unreleased films were made available on the Internet. When asked if it was involved in the attack, a spokesman for the North Korean government replied: “Wait and see.” THR Asked about the cyber attack, a spokesman for North Korea’s U.N. mission told BBC News, “The hostile forces are relating everything to the DPRK [North Korea]. I kindly advise you to just wait and see.” The FBI said on Tuesday that it is currently part of the investigation into the cyber attack. Variety Among other scenarios, Sony Pictures is looking into the possibility that hackers with ties to North Korea were responsible. That is presumed to be retaliation for the studio’s scheduled Dec. 25 release of The Interview, a geopolitical spoof starring James Franco and Seth Rogen, in which the duo are approached by the CIA about assassinating North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un. An unofficial North Korean spokesman decried the film earlier this summer. Mashable A group calling itself GOP (Guardian of Peace) hacked into Sony Pictures Entertainment’s website last week, taking down nearly all of its internal systems with it. Nearly a week later, the fruits of the raid are beginning to trickle out into the public. More than 27GB of documents that appear to be from internal Sony Pictures Entertainment file servers have already been leaked. NYT The documents contained the pre-bonus annual salaries of senior executives, 17 of whom are shown earning more than $1 million a year. The breach exposed two things the secretive movie industry loathes the most — the piracy of films and details about executive compensation — and sent a ripple of dread across Hollywood. On Pastebin, hackers released what they said were “tens of terabytes” of internal Sony data. The post — titled “Gift of G.O.P.” — included links to various data archives which appeared to contain Sony employees’ passwords, Social Security numbers, salaries and performance reviews. The studio has offered to enroll employees in a fraud protection program.  Executives at the entertainment company said they were also making progress in fighting the apparently related Internet pirating of five complete films, including the unreleased Annie.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: World News to Cast on Facebook | Veteran Staff Take NYT Buyouts

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

ABC World News Tonight Launches Facebook Newscast (TVNewser)
ABC World News Tonight anchor David Muir will host a social media newscast every weekday on Facebook called “Facecast: The One Thing.” Starting Monday, Dec. 1, the one-minute news update aims to give Facebook users a summary of the day’s top stories and trending topics. AllFacebook ABC News said “Facecast: The One Thing” will be shot behind the scenes at its New York headquarters. It will be the first social media daily newscast hosted by an evening news anchor. THR “We are grateful that our audience engages with David Muir and World News Tonight on social media all day long,” said World News Tonight executive producer Almin Karamehmedovic. “We’re very excited to launch a newscast that is exclusively for Facebook, where users can continue the conversation beyond the evening newscast at any time.” HuffPost / AP The “Facecast” will usually be posted in the early afternoon. ABC said Facebook users will see the report in their news stream if they have “liked” World News Tonight, or else will be able to find it on the newscast’s Facebook page. Variety ABC News makes its move as other traditional broadcasters have taken steps to burnish their “traditional” news efforts in digital venues. CBS last month unveiled CBSN, a live streaming-video newscast that offers CBS News reporting between 9 a.m. and midnight eastern each day.

Read more

RIP: Lester Bernstein

NewsweekLogoOur most heartfelt condolences go out this holiday weekend to New York Times investigative reporter Nina Bernstein. She has announced that her father Lester Bernstein has passed away at age 94. Eight days after the death of his wife Mimi, Nina’s mother.

The span of Mr. Bernstein’s esteemed journalism career was writ large, encompassing stints as editor of Newsweek, European correspondent for Time and vice president at NBC, where he helped organize the first televised U.S. Presidential debates. Per today’s Times obituary, here’s how it all began:

Lester Bernstein was born in the Bronx on July 18, 1920 to Isidore and Rebecca Axelrod Bernstein, Yiddish-speaking immigrants from Eastern Europe. He graduated in 1936 from DeWitt Clinton High School and in 1940 from Columbia College, where he was the Times campus correspondent.

Read more

Howard Kurtz Assails New York Times for ‘Reckless Move’

ShutterstockTimesSquareProtester1124Heading into the Thanksgiving holiday, media critics continue to question the wherewithal of New York Times editors with regards to this week’s article “A Quiet Wedding for Darren Wilson.” Although the report by Julie Bosman and Campbell Robertson, posted ahead of the Grandy Jury verdict announcement, hints that the police officer and his wife have essentially vacated the referenced property, it’s still extremely surprising that the paper, at this late press time, has yet to redact the pinpoint-his-whereabouts information. The paper has only removed an equally careless image of Wilson’s marriage license, which revealed the full name of the officer’s wife.

From Howard Kurtz‘s op-ed:

The New York Times, whether consciously or not, has just endangered Darren Wilson’s life.

With tensions running high in Ferguson over the lack of an indictment for Wilson’s killing of Michael Brown, the paper has published the officer’s approximate address – the street and town where he lives with his new wife, who also is named.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: 16 Million Watch Ferguson Grand Jury | Orman to Leave CNBC

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

16 Million Tune in to Cable News for Ferguson Grand Jury Announcement (TVNewser)
The news surrounding the grand jury’s decision in the Darren Wilson case gave cable news channels a ratings surge Monday. While the decision had been reached by mid-afternoon, news channels had seven hours to consider the result as it was not announced until the 9 p.m. ET hour, when daytime viewership peaked. Capital New York During the 9 p.m. hour, when the decision was revealed, Fox News averaged 7.26 million total viewers, including 2.19 million adults 25 to 54. CNN averaged 6.26 million total viewers, including 3.16 million adults 25-54, and MSNBC averaged 2.20 million total viewers, including 742,000 adults aged 25 to 54. Mediaite The peak for CNN came not at 9 p.m. when the decision was announced, but instead during the second half of the 10 p.m. hour when the network reached 3.558 million demo viewers. With 7.256 million viewers during the 9 p.m. hour, Fox’s The Kelly File was the overall winner for the night. Variety Both The Kelly File and Hannity scored all-time highs in terms of overall viewers and audience in the advertiser-desired demo of 25 to 54. CNN’s Anderson Cooper was able to trump Fox News’ Megyn Kelly in the 25-to-54 demo at 9 p.m. In late-night viewership, CNN lured more viewers overall and in the demo at both 11 p.m. and midnight, according to Nielsen. THR / The Live Feed Many TV networks chimed in, with some broadcast nets interrupting primetime with President Obama’s remarks on the matter and each of the cable news outlets covering it well into the night. Some segments from the center of the embattled town even got too close, with CNN’s Sara Sidner being hit with a rock on air.

Read more

This NYT Staffer is Spending Thanksgiving in Cuba

There is an additional Twitter journalist account to be aware of this holiday weekend (if you are not already): @londonoe.

That handle belongs to New York Times editorial board member Ernesto Londoño who, for the first time since he was a college student, has traveled to Cuba. The Colombian-born, NYC-based foreign affairs writer – previously covering the Pentagon for the Washington Post – arrived November 22 and is scheduled to be there through the weekend. He has been sharing all sorts of fascinating glimpses of his visit, including this shot of the digital newsroom at Communist newspaper Periódico Granma:

GranmaDigitalNewsroom

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Fager to Step Down, Return to 60 Minutes | WaPo, Kindle Partner Up

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Jeff Fager Stepping Down as Chairman of CBS News, Returns Full Time to 60 Minutes (TVNewser)
Jeff Fager is leaving his role as chairman of CBS News and turning his “full attention” to 60 Minutes. FishbowlDC Fager served as CBS News’ chairman for four years, and had worked as the executive producer of 60 Minutes for seven years before that. THR / The Live Feed Fager has also extended his current contract as executive producer through 2019. As for a replacement, president David Rhodes now assumes sole leadership of CBS News. Fager assumed the role of chairman at a pivotal time for CBS, on the eve of Katie Couric’s exit from the CBS Evening News. June of 2011 saw current anchor, and longtime 60 Minutes correspondent, Scott Pelley, assume the role of lead anchor for the nightly news telecast. NYT CBS cast the moves as an orderly transition that was set in motion four years ago when Leslie Moonves, the CBS chief executive, asked Fager to take over supervision of the news division while remaining as executive producer of 60 Minutes. In his own memo, Fager said of Rhodes, “I hired him almost four years ago with this moment in mind, and he has exceeded all expectations.” Capital New York Fager’s dual roles as chairman of CBS News and E.P. of 60 Minutes did lead to some controversy. Last year, a flawed report about the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya led to an internal investigation and the suspension of Lara Logan, who has since returned to the network.

Read more

<< PREVIOUS PAGENEXT PAGE >>