TVNewser Show TVNewser FishbowlDC AgencySpy TVSpy LostRemote PRNewser SocialTimes AllFacebook 10,000 Words GalleyCat UnBeige MediaJobsDaily

Posts Tagged ‘News of the World’

Email Shows James Murdoch Was Alerted to Phone Hacking in 2008

James Murdoch is in trouble. Yes, again. The New York Times reports that Murdoch, despite claiming the contrary to Parliament during testimony, was alerted to the fact that there was widespread phone hacking at News of The World, as early as June 7, 2008.

Murdoch has consistently said that he knew nothing of the documentation — which showed evidence of the hacking, and a reply from Murdoch saying that he wanted to discuss things in person — while others insisted that he had. A look at what was uncovered in the email chain:

One lawyer says the case [a lawsuit by someone who claimed to be hacked] is a ‘nightmare scenario,’ because it might uncover other voicemail interceptions and names other journalists implicated, the other notes that Mr. Taylor [the person suing] wants to demonstrate that hacking was ‘rife throughout the organization.’ As he forwarded the chain to Mr. Murdoch, Mr. Myler  [editor of News of the World] warned that the situation was ‘as bad as we feared’ and requests a meeting to discuss the matter further. Mr. Murdoch’s reply offering to talk came two minutes later.

Now how is James going to escape this? It’s right there. He got the email. He replied. Murdoch’s defense? He opened the emails on his Blackberry, and didn’t actually read the full contents. A creative try by James — who hasn’t used the Blackberry defense to get out of family gatherings and the like — but we think he might have to come up with something better very soon.

News of The World Hacker to Name People Who Directed Him

Glenn Mulcaire, the British private detective who hacked phones for News of The World, has been ordered to reveal the names of the people who directed him to do so. Bloomberg reports that Mulcaire lost his appeal to prevent having to name the people who hired him.

This is big, obviously. While over 10 people have been arrested so far, the only News of The World employee named has been Clive Goodman, a former reporter who was sent to jail for hacking in 2007.

The list is expected to be filed in court by August 30, and if some guy by the name of James Murdoch is on there, we wouldn’t be surprised at all.

News of The World Letter Casts Additional Shadows on Scandal

An explosive letter written by former News of The World correspondent Clive Goodman in 2007 is going to make things a lot more difficult for News International and News Corporation. In the letter, Goodman – who was fired from News of The World for hacking and then served four months in prison – complains about his dismissal to the paper’s human resources department.

But it’s not the typical complaints: Goodman claims that he shouldn’t have been fired because he only conducted phone hacking “with the full knowledge and support” of several senior News of The World editors, and that payoffs to private investigators were arraigned by senior officials as well. The Guardian reports that these allegations carry a lot of weight:

The letters from Goodman and from the London law firm Harbottle & Lewis are among a cache of paperwork published by the Commons culture, media and sport select committee. One committee member, the Labour MP Tom Watson, said Goodman’s letter was ‘absolutely devastating.’ He said: ‘Clive Goodman’s letter is the most significant piece of evidence that has been revealed so far. It completely removes News International’s defence. This is one of the largest cover-ups I have seen in my lifetime.’

If Goodman’s claims are true it’s going to lead to much more trouble for a company that is desperately trying to silence this scandal. It seems that the longer it goes on, the louder everything gets.

News of The World Scandal Inspires Lingerie Ads

File this under “Looking on the bright side of things.”

According to Adweek, the British lingerie company Blush has created a campaign inspired by the News of The World phone hacking scandal.

To the right is our favorite, but click through for all of the ads, some of which are NSFW.

Two Former News International Employees Accuse James Murdoch of Lying

This scandal just keeps getting bigger and bigger. The latest: According to Reuters, two former News International employees have accused James Murdoch of lying in his testimony to Parliament. Colin Myler, a former editor at News of The World, and Tom Crone, a former lawyer for News International, issued the following statement:

Just by way of clarification relating to Tuesday’s CMS Select Committee hearing, we would like to point out that James Murdoch’s recollection of what he was told when agreeing to settle the Gordon Taylor litigation was mistaken.

In fact, we did inform him of the ‘for Neville’ email which had been produced to us by Gordon Taylor’s lawyers.

The Guardian, on which email Myler and Crone are referring to:

Read more

Reporter Who Blew Whistle on News of The World Scandal Found Dead

This is crazy. Former News of The World reporter Sean Hoare – the man who first told others about the phone hacking taking place inside the newspaper – has been found dead in his home. The Guardian is reporting that police aren’t suspecting any foul play took place, but as of now the cause of death hasn’t been revealed.

Hoare told The New York Times that during his tenure under NOTW Editor Andy Coulson, phone hacking was conducted regularly and often encouraged. His allegations blew the lid off the scandal, and the aftershocks are still happening.

If this doesn’t sound like something out of a movie, we don’t know what does. We’ll keep you posted as more details emerge.

Murdoch’s Guardian News Of The World Slapped With Lawsuit By Brangelina

newsofthe1.jpg

Rupert Murdoch‘s British paper News Of The World is being hit by a lawsuit from Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie‘s lawyers after the tabloid claimed the couple was headed toward splitsville.

Last month NOTW posted an item saying that the couple had visited a divorce lawyer and were looking into how to split up custody of their six children. Now the duo is going to the high court in London to take action against News Group Newspapers (part of News International) for their handling of the story, which the firm taking the celebrities’ case said “was false as well as intrusive.” News Of The World has refused to retract the story.

Read More: Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie sue the News of the World — The Guardian

Murdoch Pulls British Papers From Aggregator

Sun_1665_19246258_0_0_1242_300.jpgLooks like Rupert Murdoch is not giving up on his 2010 resolution to stop directing traffic towards any of his newspapers’ Web sites.

Murdoch’s News International confirmed yesterday that it is blocking British Web aggregator NewsNow.co.uk from crawling its U.K. newspaper Web sites, including News of The World, The Sun and The Times, essentially eliminating links to those sites’ content on the aggregator’s site. Some noticed on Friday that The Times‘ online content was no longer on NewsNow.

Explained a News International spokesperson in a statement:

“NewsNow has been using Times Online content as part of its paid-for, commercial as well as free services. They have continued to do so despite our direct requests for them to stop. As a result, we have taken the decision to disallow their indexing of our content.”

So we ask FishbowlNY readers: how long until Google gets a similar treatment from Murdoch’s companies, now that they’ve finally got the ball rolling on blocking aggregators? Does it take using News Corp. products as part of paid content to push Murdoch to the edge?

Read More: News International to block NewsNow from all its websitesThe Guardian

Previously: Other Media Companies Look To Join Murdoch’s Google Block, Video: News Corp. Gets Grinchy With Google

Amazon Buys Zappos|Editor: James Murdoch Approved Settlements In Cell-Tapping Scandal|How 3 Papers Handle Online Commenting|Page Six Seeks Reporter|It’s Not Too Soon To Joke About McKinsey & Conde Nast

WebNewser: Amazon.com has bought Zappos. Here’s hoping they don’t change the way the shoe purveyor does business. We really do need shoes that fast.

New York Times: An update on the News of the World cell phone hacking scandal: the tabloid’s editor told a parliamentary committee that Rupert Murdoch‘s son James approved a $1.1 million payment to settle the allegations against the paper.

MinnPost: A look at how three newspapers – the Fargo Forum, the Star Tribune in Minneapolis and the St. Paul Pioneer Press approach commenting policies for their Web sites. Interestingly, the Strib blocks comments on eight kinds of articles.

Gawker: Looks like Page Six’s Richard Johnson hasn’t found a new reporter to replace Paula Froelich yet. Any takers?

The Atlantic: Want a laugh? Have a look at some thoughts that McKinsey may have about Condé Nast, including “Is ‘A. Leibovitz’ the accounting code for a corporate jet?”

Cell Phone Hacking Allegations Against Murdoch’s British Papers Get Investigated

news of the world.pngYesterday, U.K. newspaper The Guardian published a story revealing that Rupert Murdoch‘s British newspaper subsidiary News Group News­papers had paid more than £1 million ($1.4 million) to settle claims that its reporters had illegally hacked into the cell phones of government officials and celebrities.

The allegations set off a firestorm of controversy in the U.K., with Scotland Yard launching an inquiry into the claims.

According to the Guardian the payments were made to Gordon Taylor, CEO the Professional Footballers’ Association, who sued News Group after a private investigator who worked for the company, Glenn Mulcaire, was jailed and admitted to hacking into phones of various targets, including Gordon and model Elle MacPherson. Another News Group staffer, Clive Goodman, a reporter for Murdoch owned News of the World was also jailed for hacking.

Although News Group denied any knowledge of its employees’ actions, Gordon still sued claiming the company did know what was up. His suit led to a £700,000 pay-out, which the Guardian claimed included more than £400,000 in damages. Two other football figures also sued the media company, resulting in the additional £300,000 in payments. All of the settlements included clauses preventing the parties from discussing the case, and Taylor’s case was sealed by the court, the Guardian added.

Read more

<< PREVIOUS PAGE