Time just promoted one staffer and added three. Below are the highlights, followed by a memo announcing the changes, from Time’s managing editor Nancy Gibbs, and Time.com’s managing editor, Edward Felsenthal.
- Kelly Conniff has been promoted to special projects editor, overseeing long-term packages and lists. She joined Time two years ago as social media editor.
- Laura Hibbard has been named audience engagement editor, a new role at Time. She comes to the magazine from The Huffington Post.
- Michael Lester has been named associate video producer. He was most recently video editor for Talking Points Memo.
- Sarah Begley has been named digital operations editor. She most recently worked at The Daily Beast.
A couple of quick but exciting notes as we continue to gear up for the Time.com relaunch.
First, even before Chris Wilson and Jeff Kluger’s extravaganza this week, we were headed for another traffic record in October. Chris and Jeff’s Mood Map interactive has now locked that in and then some, with more than 4 million uniques since it was posted. Congrats to both of them.
We also want to announce a promotion and three new hires to the Digital team.
Kelly Conniff becomes special projects editor, overseeing long-term packages and lists. Working with Michael Duffy, she’ll also be our day-to-day liaison to sales and marketing. Kelly joined TIME two years ago as social media editor. During her tenure, TIME’s Twitter presence grew to 5 million, making us one of the top news brands there, and to 4.5 million on Google+, making us the single most-followed news brand there. TIME one of the top news brands on Twitter. We’ll also soon reach 2 million fans on Facebook.
Laura Hibbard joins us from the Huffington Post in the new position of audience engagement editor. Laura will manage TIME’s social presence and help Callie manage overall audience development. At HuffPo, where she worked the previous two years, she oversaw the Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram and Pinterest accounts and helped oversee Facebook. Originally from Tokyo, she also worked as an anchor and reporter for NBC affiliate KOMU while attending the University of Missouri’s School of Journalism.
Michael Lester joins TIME as an associate video producer. A native of Scotland, Michael came to America in 2007, after graduating two years earlier with a degree in Video Production and Creative Writing. Since 2011 Michael has been the video editor for Talking Points Memo, doing virtually all of their clips, mashups and original production. He has also produced short films, promos and music videos.
Sarah Begley joins as digital operations editor. She previously worked at The Daily Beast, where she wrote for the Women in the World vertical, and for Newsweek. Originally from Fairfield, Connecticut, she is an alumna of Vassar College.
Please join us in congratulating Kelly and welcoming Laura, Michael and Sarah to TIME.
Nancy and Edward
- Renee Peterson Named VP of HR for Hearst Newspapers
- Glamour Names Managing Editor, WSJ Loses Tech Reporter
- Janice Min Pays Tribute to Her Departing Culture Editor
- Lindsay Zoladz Named New York Pop Music Critic