- Darin Strauss sings! And then sings some more! (Plus solo numbers from Jonathan Coulton.)
- Glenn Beck said contemporary books for young readers are emasculating, except for the ones his guest Ted Bell writes.
- Remember that time Simon Spotlight Entertainment announced an embargoed memoir with a 350,000-copy print run that turned out to be from Madonna’s brother? Boy, that was something, wasn’t it? Good times.
- A dispute over cover art prompted us to ask: “Who peed in Dan Savage‘s cornflakes?”
- Emily Gould went on vacation and never came back; towards the end of the month, we realized she had a book proposal making the rounds. This led to ridiculous speculation that book publishers might fear Gawker. Free Press picked up the collection of autobiographical essays in early July.
Austin Way magazine/Niche Media is looking for a Event Marketing Manager. next job HOTELS magazine is looking for a Associate Editor. next job Brooklyn Magazine is looking for a Social Media Editorial Fellowship. next job Time Inc./People Magazine is looking for a Photo Operations Specialist/Photo Researcher. next job Metropolis magazine is looking for a Advertising & Marketing Junior Designer. next job New Mexico Magazine is looking for a Associate Editor. next job Gotham magazine/Niche Media is looking for a Account Executive. next job Long Island-based trade magazine is looking for a Assistant Editor. see all
Starting September 18, build your freelance career in African-American, Latino, or LGBT publications! Using a combination of writing exercises and targeted research, you'll learn how to generate salable story ideas, write pitches, build relationships with editors, and position yourself as an authority in your market. Register now!