Jason Boog joined the GalleyCat team, and the industry news kicked into high gear…
- New York warned that the end was near for book publishing, which was good for a laugh.
- Beaufort Books became Sherry Jones‘s new American publisher; The Jewel of Medina was also picked up for UK publication by Gibson Square, although a firebombing of that publisher’s offices derailed those plans.
- Oprah Winfrey picked The Story of Edgar Sawtelle for her book club; GalleyCat readers saw that coming a mile away, even if the blog’s senior editor couldn’t.
- Much time was spent wondering whether Sarah Palin was a book-banning fool. Technically, she wasn’t, but not for lack of trying, especially where the gays were concerned.
- David Foster Wallace committed suicide; legendary publisher Robert Giroux died in his sleep.