The primary role of this position is to write fundraising appeals and other communications to engage, steward and cultivate IRC supporters.
1. Write short- and long-form copy, including fundraising appeals, emergency alerts, program updates, brochures, newsletter articles and invitations to special events, with a focus on print formats.
2. Write and edit supporting copy for both print and digital formats as needed, including donor acknowledgment letters, advertisements and fact sheets.
3. Produce communications that are compelling, informative, timely and true to the IRC’s messaging and brand.
4. Tailor new and existing copy for a broad range of external audiences and donor segments, including monthly donors.
5. Help implement the most effective strategies and practices for engaging new donors and enhancing loyalty among our base of approximately 90,000 active donors who made gifts of under $10,000 through the mail, Internet, phone or special events.
6. Gather and develop personal stories and other content from the field, with a focus on bolstering the consistency and effectiveness of IRC messaging and storytelling across all external and internal communications.
7. Interview IRC beneficiaries, staff, donors and volunteers for research and content purposes.
8. Stay up to date on IRC programs, as well as global events and trends impacting the humanitarian sector, the places we work and the lives of our beneficiaries.
Minimum: College/university degree, including coursework in English literature, journalism, marketing, advertising, communications, international relations or other relevant discipline.
Minimum: Five to seven years of professional writing experience with a focus on nonprofit fundraising, marketing and/or communications. Writing samples required.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
• Superior ability to understand and communicate technical information gathered from diverse international settings; to conceptualize creatively and produce strong, clean, compelling promotional copy (both short and long form); expertise in reporting, fact checking, line-editing and proofreading.
• Capacity and willingness to follow editorial direction and write to varied specifications, shifting smoothly between print and digital media as needs arise.
• Previous nonprofit experience; solid knowledge of marketing and fundraising contexts; familiarity with the work of an international non-governmental organization highly desired.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to serve as a member of a small, congenial team of writers and to collaborate adaptively and effectively with professionals across the organization.
• Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to work independently, under pressure in a deadline-oriented environment and handle the details of multiple projects simultaneously without losing sight of broad goals.
About Our Company
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.