|Publication or Company
Quayside Publishing Group
||Book Publishing, Graphic Design/Art Direction, Other Publishing
||401K/403B, Dental, Health
||Art Director/Design Manager – Beverly, MA
Quayside Publishing Group is seeking an experienced Art Director/Design Manager for our Beverly, MA office location. This position will coordinate and manage all stages of book design and production, ensuring graphic excellence, accuracy, and adherence to budget requirements of assigned books and their accompanying photography. These responsibilities include overseeing cover and interior page design, page layout, photography and illustration. In this capacity, the Art Director/Design Manager will solicit, hire, and supervise freelance designers and production artists to execute these projects in compliance with company standards for schedule and product quality. The Art Director/Design Manager will oversee and perform hands on photo direction, as well as research and hire models when needed.
Key Results Areas
A. Design Capabilities:
1. Able to create and tailor book designs to meet needs of intended consumer.
2. Fluent in all applicable software applications.
3. Good intuition for successful page, cover, and type design, and good color skills.
4. Can successfully organize and direct photo shoots; commission and manage photographers, illustrators, freelance designers, and layout artists.
5. Scout new talent; photographers, illustrators, book designers, and production artists.
6. Broad understanding of current book production technology and procedures.
7. Work with designers to create the cover design. Design some covers in-house.
8. Prepare cover brief for designer which articulates concept, target audience, and an overview of competing titles.
9. Make adjustments to covers as required to get optimum design.
B. Management Abilities:
1. Good language and communication skills.
2. Well organized and meticulous about details.
3. Communicates project needs to freelance designers, photographers, illustrators and production artists.
4. Directs freelancers in a manner that ensures on-time deliverables.
5. Overseeing and managing budgets and schedules for design related tasks.
C. Work closely with Production Director to keep projects on schedule and within budget:
1. Prepare all files for output to reproduction house.
2. Quality check all jackets and covers, all images and illustrations for color and continuity.
3. Quality check interior design accuracy and continuity.
D. Manage Photo Shoot production and direction:
1. Cast and book talent/models.
2. Maintain contracts and model releases.
3. Hire and manage supporting talent (such as makeup artists, food stylists, hair stylists, etc.)
4. Scout and coordinate props.
5. Book locations and acquire permits and/or insurance.
6. Organize and maintain in-house prop room.
E. Sales and Marketing Support:
1. Support sales and marketing teams with materials needed for all book titles.
2. Work with sales team on special projects such as custom editions and reprints.
3. Design covers for outside clients as required by sales management.
4. Update files for client approval and supply files to reproduction house.
A. Minimum Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
? Broad understanding of current book production technology and procedures.
? Hands-on expertise with digital page layout techniques.
? Proficient in current Adobe Creative Suite (including InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Acrobat) on a Mac-based platform. Basic knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
? Able to take direction and follow instructions.
? Effective written and verbal communication skills.
? Knowledge or experience in studio photography and photo retouching skills.
? Strong network of freelance resources and demonstrated experience in managing freelance teams.
B. Education and Experience
? Four-year degree from accredited college, with a major in design or a related field.
? Minimum 2 years’ experience in publishing field, preferably in book publishing.
? Ongoing participation in continuing career education.
? Portfolio demonstrating strong page and cover design skills.
? Knowledge and interest in subject matters relevant to imprint’s subject categories.
Quayside Publishing Group offers a competitive salary, generous benefits package and 401k with company match. Full time benefit offerings may include:
? Paid Vacation, ? Paid Sick Time,
? Personal Time Off, ? Holidays,
? Medical Insurance, ? Dental Insurance,
? Life Insurance, ? Voluntary Life Insurance,
? Short Term Disability, ? Long Term Disability,
? AD&D, ? Flexible Spending Plans,
? 401(k), ? Roth 401(k)
|About Our Company
||Quayside Publishing Group is dedicated to producing high quality illustrated and narrative books, calendars, journals and gift products in a variety of subjects, ranging from self-sufficiency and country living to cooking, pop culture and home & garden. We strive to deliver authoritative, entertaining content in an attractive but affordable printed package that delights and inspires consumers.