|Publication or Company
||401K/403B, Dental, Health
||North Adams, MA
||PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Designers manage multiple projects simultaneously, developing creative and marketable solutions. They have a range of responsibility, from supporting Art Directors with book production to leading complete book designs. This position also manages the production of print materials for early sales opportunities.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Design across a diverse spectrum of subject areas, from gardening, crafts, and cooking, to nature, backyard building, and animals.
* Develop book interiors based on sample pages designed by an Art Director and work as a team to manage a book’s photography and illustration needs.
*Perform typesetting and layout support, such as revising pages and inputting text corrections.
* Lead complete book designs, from covers to interiors.
* Collaborate with and support Art Directors to realize a creative vision.
* Collaborate with and support Editorial teams to accommodate editorial needs.
* Collaborate with and support Prepress and Production departments to ensure the quality and correctness of print reproduction, which includes preparing clean files for transmittal to Prepress.
* Work with Creative Director and Managing Editor to maintain and troubleshoot design, illustration, and photography schedules for assigned books.
*Art/design school graduate or university design/art major.
*At least 1 year of work experience in graphic design, including initial concept generation, through comps, presentations, and preparation of electronic pre-press files. Internships will be considered.
*Focus on print-based design is required.
*An interest in Storey’s publishing focus.
*Strong organizational, communication, problem-solving, and interpersonal skills.
*Experience in a Macintosh environment and a command of Adobe InDesign as well as a working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator.
*Ability to prepare electronic files for press according to print specifications provided is also required.
|About Our Company
||Storey Publishing is the leading publisher of Country Living titles.
Readers turn to Storey for accurate, time-tested knowledge. Whatever the subject — natural herbal remedies for common ailments, vegetable gardening tips, innovative techniques for hand-knit projects, methods for raising healthy backyard livestock, or ways to forage in backyards, cities, or woods — we provide the information that fuels readers’ passions.
Storey is located in the Berkshire mountains of northwestern Massachusetts. The area offers the close community and scenic beauty of country life as well the cultural richness embodied by such institutions and festivals as MASS MoCA, Tanglewood, Jacob's Pillow, Clark Art Institute, and Williams College. Storey is within 3 hours of either Boston or NYC.