|Publication or Company
New York City Housing Authority
New York, NY
||Chief Communications Officer
The New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA), the nation’s largest public housing agency, owns and manages over 178,000 apartments in 334 developments throughout the five boroughs and administers over 90,000 units of rental assistance under the federal Section 8 program. In addition, NYCHA offers to its residents and other New Yorkers myriad social services, educational and recreational programs and services.
Position Summary & Primary Responsibilities
NYCHA is seeking a Chief Communications Officer to lead and administer the agency’s public relations and information, community education, and citizen participation programs. Reporting directly to NYCHA’s Executive Vice President for External Affairs, the Chief Communications Officer (CCO) will manage the dissemination of information about the Authority to the media, residents, employees, constituents and advocacy groups, public officials and the general public; develop and lead the implementation of public service and information campaigns that support NYCHA initiatives; and serve as a member of NYCHA’s Executive Cabinet.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
· Develop an organizational brand and strategy to promote NYCHA’s image.
· Conduct research to gauge stakeholder expectations and satisfaction.
· Develop informational and educational materials for prospective residents, employees and the general public.
· Prepare media releases on NYCHA’s housing programs, initiatives and activities, special studies and reports, and similar information.
· Organize promotional events to display NYCHA programs and initiatives.
· Manage the formulation of responses to written and telephone inquiries.
· Plan and direct the preparation and production of the NYCHA Annual Report and other publications.
· Lead a staff of public relations professionals.
· Serve as NYCHA’s senior advisor on public relations matters, and participate in the formulation of public relations policy.
· Excellent Communicator – ability to communicate expertly and clearly, both written and verbal; to think on one’s feet with a calm and pleasant demeanor; to artfully influence and persuade, and to render diplomatic approaches while remaining focused on the agency’s goals and priorities.
· Liaison & Partnerships – ability to establish a strong network of relationships among peer leaders across other City, State and Federal agencies and government and external stakeholders, and develop creative partnerships that can create additional value for residents or the agency.
· Creative Problem Solver – ability to develop innovative and impactful solutions that help address operation needs.
· Strategic & Visionary – ability to think strategically about trends and consequences.
· Multi-task & Goal Oriented – demonstrated ability to make timely and sound decisions; establish priorities and successfully carry out multiple assignments, meeting critical deadlines and timeframes.
· A Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college, or equivalent.
· A minimum of 7 years of full time satisfactory professional experience in public relations, journalism, marketing, communications or a related field
· Fluency in software applications such as Word and PowerPoint
· Ability to apply Associated Press guides.
Interested candidates may submit a cover letter and resume to www.nyc.gov/careers/search. Search for Job ID#144360.
The New York City Housing Authority is an equal opportunity employer.