|Publication or Company
Farrar Straus & Giroux
New York, NY
Seeking an experienced production editor who will be responsible for working on a variety of trade fiction, nonfiction, poetry, drama, graphic novel, and bilingual titles from manuscript to bound book while maintaining FSG’s high standards of quality on tight deadlines. Must have excellent grammar, copyediting, and proofreading skills and at least 6 years of experience at another trade publisher.
• Work as production editor from manuscript to bound book on approximately 30-40 new titles per year, plus paperback reissues and conversions. Keep books on schedule while juggling multiple projects at once.
• Hire freelance copy editors, proofreaders, and indexers, and supervise their work.
• Prepare both paper and electronic manuscripts for design and typesetting.
• Collate author and proofreader corrections, and check all stages of proofs.
• Copyedit and proofread indexes, jacket/cover copy, and other material.
• Work with editors, designers, and production in solving problems that arise. Keep managing editor informed about status of all projects.
• Maintain high quality and consistent style within each work.
Required Skills / Knowledge:
• Significant prior experience as a production editor at a trade publishing house (at least 6 years)
• Excellent copyediting and proofreading skills
• Strong knowledge of grammar, spelling, and punctuation; familiarity with The Chicago Manual of Style
• Strong communication skills
• Detail-oriented; organized; able to set priorities under pressure
• Ability to meet deadlines while maintaining high standards and juggling multiple projects at once
• Ability to work on complicated projects—e.g., books with illustrations throughout; graphic novels; bilingual titles; and heavily designed books with many elements
• Strong computer skills, including familiarity with Track Changes and electronic copyediting in MS Word; experience with Word Styles preferred
• Flexible and adaptable to changing digital workflows and procedures
• Fluency in a second language is desirable though not required
• Must have at least six years of experience as a production editor at another trade publisher
Educational Background Required:
• Bachelor’s degree
|About Our Company
||Macmillan is a group of media companies in the United States held by Verlagsgruppe Georg von Holtzbrinck, based in Stuttgart, Germany, which publishes a wide range of books, magazines, and digital products for the consumer and education markets. Our American publishers include Farrar, Straus and Giroux, Henry Holt & Company, W.H. Freeman and Worth Publishers, Palgrave Macmillan, Bedford/St. Martin’s, Picador, Roaring Brook Press, St. Martin’s Press, Tor Books, Hayden McNeil, i>clicker, Macmillan Children’s Group, Macmillan Audio and Bedford Freeman & Worth Publishing Group. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of Holtzbrinck Publishers, LLC or Farrar Straus & Giroux.