|Publication or Company
Macmillan Children's Publishing Group
New York, NY
||The senior production editor overseas approximately 40-50 fiction and nonfiction titles per year, including complex illustrated titles and picture books. Responsible for supervising all day-to-day activities of one production editor, including monitoring quality and efficiency and training. Manages the production editorial process by assigning copyediting of manuscripts and proofreading and indexing page proofs. Checking for quality assurance of text, illustrations and photos, and covers at all stages from manuscript to finished books. Handles simultaneous e-book production for most of these titles, excluding picture books. Works with managing editors, editors, designers, and production to maintain schedules.
• Handle all production editorial tasks on approximately 40-50 new titles per year. Keep books on schedule while juggling multiple projects at once.
• Supervise one production editor and serve as the imprint head for all copyediting and proofreading matters.
• Recruit and evaluate new freelancers. Monitors the quality of freelance work and, in tandem with managing editors, set and maintain guidelines for house style. Evaluate invoices, negotiate fees, and make suggestions for hiring freelancers.
• Prepare both paper and electronic manuscripts for design and typesetting.
• Collate author and proofreader corrections, and check that corrections have been made correctly.
• Copyedit and proofread indexes, jacket/cover copy, and other material, including a variety of advertising/promotional material.
• Maintain consistent style within each work.
• Work with editors and designers to anticipate and solve issues.
• Work closely with the managing editors to develop new or improved workflows and procedures, particularly with regard to emerging technologies.
Required Skills / Knowledge:
• Excellent copyediting and proofreading skills. Strong knowledge of grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
• Familiarity with The Chicago Manual of Style.
• Meticulous attention to detail.
• Ability to meet deadlines while maintaining high standards of quality and juggling multiple projects at once.
• Organize or schedule other people and their tasks effectively.
• Strong computer skills, including familiarity with Track Changes and electronic copyediting
• Must have at least four years of relevant experience at another trade publisher. Must have children’s book experience, including working on titles from picture books through young adult fiction and nonfiction.
Educational Background Required:
• Bachelor’s degree
|About Our Company
||Macmillan is a group of media companies in the United States held by Verlagsgruppe Georg von Holtzbrinck, based in Stuttgart, Germany, which publishes a wide range of books, magazines, and digital products for the consumer and education markets. Our American publishers include Farrar, Straus and Giroux, Henry Holt & Company, W.H. Freeman and Worth Publishers, Palgrave Macmillan, Bedford/St. Martin’s, Picador, Roaring Brook Press, St. Martin’s Press, Tor Books, Hayden McNeil, i>clicker, Macmillan Children’s Group, Macmillan Audio and Bedford Freeman & Worth Publishing Group. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of Holtzbrinck Publishers, LLC.