|Publication or Company
New York, NY
||Palgrave Macmillan is a global cross-market publisher specializing in cutting-edge academic books. We publish monographs, journals, textbooks, professional and reference works, as well as general interest books, in print and online. In subjects ranging from Political Science, Economics and History, to Literature, Linguistics and Business, the list contains original works by many of the foremost scholars, writers and editors in the world, including Nobel laureates and internationally recognized experts.
Palgrave Macmillan is looking for a motivated, organized and active editor to manage and develop the academic Business and Management list. The editor will be responsible for acquiring and publishing a program of research monographs and handbooks for the scholarly market and expanding the list into new and profitable topics. We are looking for someone who combines the “calm-under-fire” project management skills required to get things done on time, on budget, and on spec, with the vision and drive to really shape and develop a list and take it into new and exciting areas.
• Seek out new authors and book ideas: actively research ideas, topics, and people for potential books and book series.
• Evaluate manuscripts and proposals to determine publication potential.
• Negotiate the acquisition/contract process with author.
• Assimilate reviewers’ comments and offer editorial feedback to help authors shape and improve their work.
• Serve as a project manager for each book project, coordinating delivery date, manuscript formatting, production workflows, and author management.
• Attend academic conferences and conduct campus visits to discover new authors and promote Palgrave’s brand.
• Liaise with sales, marketing, and publicity.
• Oversee an editorial assistant to ensure high-quality list management.
Required Skills / Knowledge:
• Superior verbal and written communication skills
• Exceptional organizational skills and interpersonal skills
• Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines and work independently
• Keen proofreading skills and attention to detail
• Awareness of principal subject areas within the academic business and management discipline an advantage but not essential
• Familiarity with basic Microsoft Office applications
• 3-5+ years publishing or equivalent experience in an editorial acquisition capacity and/or in an academic publishing environment
Educational Background Required:
• BA or equivalent
|About Our Company
||Macmillan is a group of media companies in the United States held by Verlagsgruppe Georg von Holtzbrinck, based in Stuttgart, Germany, which publishes a wide range of books, magazines, and digital products for the consumer and education markets. Our American publishers include Farrar, Straus and Giroux, Henry Holt & Company, W.H. Freeman and Worth Publishers, Palgrave Macmillan, Bedford/St. Martin’s, Picador, Roaring Brook Press, St. Martin’s Press, Tor Books, Hayden McNeil, i>clicker, Macmillan Children’s Group, Macmillan Audio and Bedford Freeman & Worth Publishing Group. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of St. Martin's Press.