|Publication or Company
Quarto Publishing Group USA
||Book Publishing, Graphic Design/Art Direction, Publishing
||401K/403B, Dental, Health
||Quarto Publishing Group USA, a leader in enthusiast publishing, is seeking an Acquiring Editor with experience and or background in art, design, creativity, and craft making who will guide our themed publishing program.
The Acquiring Editor is responsible for acquiring and developing 15-20 books and ancillary products annually on topics such as visual art, design, and creativity. This position works closely with the Publisher, Editorial Director, authors, copyeditors, project managers, illustrators and designers to define, develop, and execute the titles from concept through marketing strategy. The Acquiring Editor supports the effort to create a cohesive, high-level publishing program that takes into account current creative trends, the desires and needs of our core audience, and the broader marketplace to create beautiful, in-demand books and products.
Key Results Areas
A. Develop 15-20 books and ancillary products annually.
1. Concept, brief, and acquire a steady stream of proposals to present at regular acquisitions meetings.
2. Develop timely, on-trend products with strong, well-positioned authors.
3. Leverage re-packaging opportunities from our existing content for ancillary products.
4. Perform continual research to remain on top of trends and competition in the marketplace, online and in the blogosphere.
5. Responsible for contract negotiations with authors and agents and P&L on project acquisitions and project development.
B. Content Developer:
1. Work closely with the authors to shape the content, style, and approach of each book.
2. Coach the author and other contributors during the writing process to keep them on track and on target for delivery.
3. Evaluate authors’ manuscripts and artwork or photography for quality, voice, consistency, and market appropriateness.
4. Responsible for notifying all authors and contributors in writing about any repackaging plans regarding their books in a timely fashion, and bringing the author’s expertise and feedback in-house to team meetings (acquisitions, cover/design, sales).
C. Marketing and Sales collaborator:
1. Write marketing materials including Advance Information sheets, jacket copy, and book descriptions.
2. Throughout the life of the book or product, act as content “expert” and author delegate to help shape marketing plans, sales strategies, and PR opportunities.
3. Brainstorm unique ideas and opportunities with the Marketing and Sales team that reflect the unique subject matter or unique author platform.
A. Minimum Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- Excellent grammar, writing, editing, and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a team player in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Displays diplomacy and good judgment.
- Experience in developing content related to art, design, and creative pursuits, desired.
- Familiarity with social networking and subject related blogs, desired.
B. Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in English, Journalism, or related discipline.
- 1-2 years of experience in acquisitions or content development.
- Familiarity with MS Word editing software.
Quarto Publishing Group USA offers a competitive salary, generous benefits package and 401(k) with company match. Full time benefit offerings may include:
Paid Sick Time
Personal Time Off
Long Term Care insurance
Voluntary Life Insurance
Short Term Disability
Long Term Disability
Flexible Spending Plans (Health Care, Dependent Care, Commuter)
For consideration, please submit your resume and cover letter, including salary requirements, to:
No phone calls, please.
|About Our Company
||Quarto Publishing Group USA is dedicated to producing high quality illustrated and narrative books, calendars, journals and gift products in a variety of subjects, ranging from self-sufficiency and country living to cooking, pop culture and home & garden. We strive to deliver authoritative, entertaining content in an attractive but affordable printed package that delights and inspires consumers.