Senior Manager, Media & Communications
|Publication or Company
||Marketing, Non-profit, Public Relations, Social Media, TV/Cable
||401K/403B, Dental, Health
||New York, NY
||The Senior Manager, Media & Communications, will implement and help manage specific projects related to the successful execution of ASPCA communications and outreach, with a strong emphasis on original ideation, leveraging media relationships and securing placements, identifying opportunities, and developing successful short- and long-term strategies.
This role reports to a Director, who will lead project teams on specific assignments and campaigns, and assign tasks as necessary.
The role requires strong relationships with consumer and news media, as well as significant experience managing PR campaigns and media stories with a proven track record of placements in leading national media outlets.
The ideal candidate will take a leadership role in managing and collaborating on projects.
Day-to-day responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Creating and implementing strategic and integrated communications plans using a wide range of communications tactics to support programmatic and organizational efforts
• Managing other/junior members of the Media & Communications staff
• Conceptualizing compelling story ideas and drafting well-researched story pitches that result in media placements
• Keeping team informed of departmental and organizational initiatives
• Drafting, editing and disseminating communications materials such as press releases, media/photo advisories, calendar listings, public service announcements, articles for newsletter and website, and other materials as required
• Providing consistent feedback to upper management
• Coordinating specific public relations tasks and/or events with other departments and managing the implementation of these projects as necessary
• Handling and routing media inquiries to appropriate spokespeople
• Preparing spokespeople with developed and approved talking points and key messages
• Managing proactive and ongoing media relations and outreach, including arranging and covering radio, print, online and television interviews/appearances
• Developing and nurturing relationships with external audiences that yield media placements (media, third-party constituencies, etc.) to convey the ASPCA’s message
• Participating in Media & Communications departmental meetings and working cross-functionally with other members of the team
• Ensuring communications outreach is research-based and measurable, using approved techniques that meet the industry standard
• Representing the ASPCA at events, as required
• Creating/maintaining media lists
• Being available as emergency contact after business hours, on holidays and weekends, as required, which includes being available via pager 24/7
• Researching, participating in, and sharing with the rest of the team professional development/learning opportunities as appropriate
• Other duties, as required and deemed necessary by supervisor
• BA, BS or equivalent required; Liberal Arts (English, history, etc), public relations, journalism or communications major preferred
• Five to eight years related experience in PR, media outreach
• Proven track record of placements in leading national media
• Experience with social media and developing successful social media campaigns
• Experience writing and delivering presentations
• Agency experience a plus
• Animal welfare experience -- personal or professional -- a strong plus.
• Strong relationships with consumer and news media
• Knowledge of AP Style
• Knowledge of wide range of PR tactics
• Knowledge of and experience with social media
• Knowledge of media research software such as Vocus, Lexis Nexis/Factiva/FNS, etc.
• Ability to follow and report on animal welfare trends reported in the media.
• Understanding of current research and public relations/communications measurement standards and application
• Knowledge of, and experience with, a wide range of commonly-used public relations and communications tactics, such as SMTs, RMTs, VNRs, ANRs, PSAs, mat releases, co-op media tours, etc.
• Knowledge and understanding of the ASPCA’s mission, programs, policies, philosophies
• Excellent media relations skills
• Outstanding written and verbal communications skills
• Ability to work effectively on intra- and inter-department levels
• Ability to think strategically and develop story ideas and pitches that support strategic communications plans and result in media placements
• Outstanding time management and organizational skills, and the ability to prioritize and multi-task
• Ability to work rapidly and meet deadlines under pressure
• Ability to create and give presentations to senior management
• Outstanding leadership skills with ability to motivate and inspire
• Ability to lead project teams based on program initiatives
• Ability to effectively supervise and resolve issues and conflicts within project teams
• Must be a legal resident of the United States and be able to provide proof of authorization to work in the United States
• Must be able to travel when necessary
• Must be available as emergency contact after business hours, on holidays and weekends, as required, which includes being available via cell phone 24/7
|About Our Company
||The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) is one of the largest animal welfare organizations in the world. The ASPCA provides national leadership in three key areas: caring for pets and their parents, providing positive outcomes for at-risk animals and serving victims of animal cruelty.
The mission of the ASPCA's Social Media Team is to oversee strategies for ASPCA social media channels, engage in and monitor on and off channel conversation and monitor brand reputation.