If you’ve ever arrived late to the office, raise your hand!
And if you’ve ever gotten caught by your boss, maybe you’ve simply been honest and chalked it up to oversleeping or really bad traffic.
Well, if you’re among the 3,008 survey participants for a CareerBuilder poll, you’re sharing the most unique excuses revealed by your employees. Considering almost 25 percent of employees in the survey have admitted to being late at least one time a month, we bet there are plenty of excuses going around!
While traffic remains at the top of the list as to why employees say they’re late for work, lack of sleep ranked second on the list and then problems with public transportation, bad weather and dropping the kids off at school rounded out the list.
All reasons, of course, are not as straight forward. Let’s take a look at some of the quirkiest excuses ever.
1. Employee claimed a zebra was running down the highway and held up traffic. This actually ended up being true!
2. Employee woke up on the front lawn of a house two blocks away from his home.
3. Employee’s cat got stuck in the toilet.
4. Employee couldn’t eat breakfast. He ran out of milk for cereal and had to buy some before getting ready for work.
5. Employee was late to work because he fell asleep in the car when he got to work.
6. Employee accidentally put superglue in her eye instead of contact lens solution and had to go to the emergency room. (Really?!)
7. Employee thought Halloween was a work holiday.
8. Employee said a hole in the roof caused rain to fall on the alarm clock and it didn’t go off.
9. Employee was watching something on TV and really wanted to see the end.
10. Employee forgot that the company had changed locations.
- In Celebration of International Women's Day, New Survey Outlines Insight to Succeed in the Workplace
- Department of Labor's Monthly Jobs Report Reveals Decent News
- Per New Survey, Execs Give March Madness Morale Two Thumbs Up
- 'Undercover Boss' Flips Premise to Feature Undercover Employees