As this week comes to a close, we can’t help but recall one of the highlights in Manhattan: The Matrix Awards.
MediaJobsDaily was front row and center (okay, more like table 8 near the stage but still…) at the Waldorf Astoria in midtown. Regardless, the annual Matrix Awards presented by New York Women in Communications did not disappoint!
After conducting red carpet interviews to be aired shortly, it was time to settle in for an afternoon of motivation and inspiration. Oh, did we mention Gloria Steinem was in the house? Along with hosts Kathie Lee Gifford and Hoda Kotb and notable names like Mary J. Blige, Queen Latifah and Cynthia McFadden, in true form the luncheon was full of memorable moments and of course, quotes.
One by one as each presenter and honoree gave their speech, there’s a common thread. Persistence, dedication, setbacks, risks and overall achievements. They all had to start somewhere, they all had to earn their first byline, their first rejection and get back up on their feet again. Look at Queen Latifah who’s now a talk show host and started her career in a male-dominated industry.
That’s why their stories have so much mojo and meaning — they all have a back story. You have a back story. We all do and that’s what makes us so vibrant, interesting and resilient.
So, without further ado, let’s check out some of the quotes and then, of course, look at the list of winners…
“Be the person other people root for to win.” — Richard Parsons
“No one’s journey is a straight path.” — Jonelle Procope
“Find a job you really care about. Anyone can have a job they don’t like.” — Cynthia McFadden
“Great things come to those who show up fearlessly.” — Mary J. Blige
“I thank my mom for allowing me to dream. She encouraged it.” — Queen Latifah
“If there’s a place in hell for women who don’t help other women, there’s a place in heaven for women who do.” — Gloria Steinem
Congratulations to the 2014 Matrix Award winners!
- Wendy Clark, Senior Vice President, Global Sparkling Brand Center, @wnd
Presented by Shelly Lazarus, Chairman Emeritus, Ogilvy & Mather
- Queen Latifah, Musician, Award-Winning Actress, Record-Label President, Author, Entrepreneur, and Cover Girl, @IAMQUEENLATIFAH
Presented by Mary J. Blige, Singer, Songwriter, Record Producer, Actress, @maryjblige
- Jane Mayer, Staff Writer, The New Yorker
Presented by David Remnick, Editor, The New Yorker
- Cynthia McFadden, Senior Legal and Investigative Correspondent, NBC News, @CynthiaMcFadden
Presented by Christiane Amanpour, Chief International Correspondent, CNN, @camanpour
- Dyllan McGee, Founder and Executive Producer, MAKERS, @dyllanmcgee
Presented by Gloria Steinem, Writer, Organizer, Co-Founder Ms., @GloriaSteinem
- Eileen Naughton, Vice President, Global Accounts & Global Agencies, Google
Presented by David Gregory, Moderator, “Meet the Press,” @davidgregory
- Jonelle Procope, President and Chief Executive Officer, The Apollo Theater, @jonelleprocope
Presented by Richard Parsons, Senior Advisor, Providence Equity LLC
- Want to Boost Happiness? Survey Suggests Stop Looking at the Clock
- Morgan Spurlock on 'We the Economy' & His Greatest Lesson Learned
- Quit Your Job to Pursue Your Side Hustle? Shark Tank's Daymond John Weighs In
- Tough Monday Got You Down? Celebrate National Coffee Day!