Who wants to make more money and brand yourself separately from your day job? The question is more like who doesn’t want to do that, right?
According to a post on Forbes, there are a few key ways to effectively start your passion project on the side. Whether you’re looking for happiness and satisfaction or extra cash rolling in or all of the above, it’s all good.
Per the post, Kimberly Palmer, author of The Economy of You: Discover Your Inner Entrepreneur and Recession-Proof Your Life, dished three important tips.
1. Try new things. Yes, this means launching your side business before you think it’s really ready to fly. In the piece she mentions, “If you wait for everything to be perfect, you’ll never start. It’s relatively easy to start selling a new product or service online, so you can begin and then make adjustments as you get feedback from customers.”
2. Find a village. That is, a village of fellow entrepreneurs. For Palmer that meant tapping into Etsy entrepreneurs. After identifying a group of people who were already doing what she wanted to pursue, she studied their content – blogs, videos, anything! She points out, “I became friends with people in that community. That helped me grow my own business.”
3. Be resilient. Expect setbacks and failures. This is a given and so is noticing things will take longer to accomplish than you anticipate. The key is finding a way to keep going, finding a way to rise above and making “the necessary tweaks to succeed.”
- Three Toxic Beliefs to Ditch About Your Career
- Want to Boost Happiness? Survey Suggests Stop Looking at the Clock
- Morgan Spurlock on 'We the Economy' & His Greatest Lesson Learned
- Quit Your Job to Pursue Your Side Hustle? Shark Tank's Daymond John Weighs In