|Publication or Company
||Conferences/Events, Non-profit, Public Relations, Social Media
||401K/403B, Bonuses, Dental, Flexible Hours, Health, Profit-Sharing, Telecommute Policy
||The Media Relations and Outreach Coordinator will work directly with the news media to build public awareness of and support for wind energy by equipping journalists with facts, expert sources, and good story ideas. The Coordinator is responsible for maintaining press lists and relationships; pitching stories to the news media; helping to field incoming media inquiries; organizing press conferences and outreach events; and drafting, posting, and distributing news releases and other website and social media content as assigned. Maintaining good relationships with member companies and partner organizations as well as the media is paramount.
Essential Functions/Major Responsibilities:
• Maintain press lists of the media who cover clean energy industries, and Washington, D.C. and state capital politics, and the ability to reach them via various distribution methods using online systems.
• Make appointments to meet in person and brief key members of the media.
• Develop relationships with key energy, environment, and business reporters, directly or by facilitating interviews with other AWEA staff members.
• Track their reporting so we understand their perspectives and interests and can identify the need for corrections in stories and corrective briefings.
• Support the Manager, Strategic Communications in taking incoming calls from the news media, and providing them with answers from the AWEA Public Affairs Manual, and interviews with AWEA staff experts and members of the AWEA Speakers Bureau.
• Outreach to and serve as ongoing liaison with communications officers and spokespeople for member companies and partner organizations. Add them to our Speakers Bureau, learn of industry news, obtain their participation in our events, and get their help in distributing AWEA’s news.
• Assist in drafting press releases, blog articles, and other collateral for the news media that are on-message, appropriate to the industry trade association, and follow AWEA’s agreed-upon style guide and standard grammar.
• Assist in posting news releases and other materials to the AWEA website and social media channels, using an online content management system.
• Organize press events and conference calls, panel discussions, and other outreach events.
• Pitch the news media on covering our press events and other AWEA conferences and workshops, working with conference staff and AWEA's public relations firm and contractors when available.
• Publicize and help staff AWEA’s annual flagship event, WINDPOWER Conference and Exhibition.
• Contribute to cross-departmental projects and the development of public relations strategies and budgets.
• Conduct regular outreach to AWEA member companies and partner organizations to learn their needs and issues, and obtain their participation in the above work.
• Join the department’s staff in carrying out administrative duties, such as: weekly board reports; vendor and intern supervision; timely invoice and expense reporting; and master calendars and checklists of standard operating procedures.
AWEA is a fast-paced, high-energy organization with a very ambitious agenda and a staff that is highly motivated. This position may experience high work demands under tight timelines. Occasional travel to support conferences/meetings, including evenings and weekends, is required. This position will frequently interact with member companies, staff and outside experts, and various vendors, as well as the news media. Customer service, multi-tasking and detailed-oriented skills are necessary.
Qualified applicants may possess any combination of education and experience enabling them to successfully perform the responsibilities of the position. Preferred qualifications are: Bachelor’s degree in related field and 1-2 years of relevant experience in communications or media relations. Must be: proficient with MS Office; self-starter, detail-oriented, proactive, able to multi-task and prioritize; able to adhere to timelines for phone and email responses, project deadlines, and the Associated Press Style Guide; have strong communication skills (both written and verbal), and strong collaborative and organizational skills. A passion for renewable energy and the tenacity for quality, time-sensitive work is a plus.
To apply: Send resume and salary requirements to email@example.com (please use “Media Relations & Outreach Coordinator” in subject line) or mail to AWEA, 1501 M Street NW, Suite 1000, Washington, DC 20005, attention HR.
AWEA is Metro-accessible and provides a generous benefit package. To learn more, visit www.awea.org.
AWEA is an Equal Opportunity Employer
|About Our Company
||AWEA is a national trade association representing wind power project developers, equipment suppliers, services providers, parts manufacturers, utilities, researchers, and others involved in the wind industry - one of the world's fastest growing energy industries. In addition, AWEA represents hundreds of wind energy advocates from around the world.
The Association provides up-to-date information on: wind energy projects operating; new projects in various stages of development; companies working in the wind energy field; technology development; and policy developments related to wind and other renewable energy development.
AWEA . . . the best source for wind energy information.
People count on AWEA to provide up-to-date, accurate information about the domestic and international wind energy industry. The Association is an industry clearinghouse, utilizing the following vehicles for communicating facts and statistics.