- Edelman will be PR AOR for the California Walnut Board and the California Walnut Commission, effective September 1. Edelman will handle all PR and social duties for the organization, which was previously known as the Walnut Marketing Board; the org was established in 1948 to represent the state’s walnut growers and handlers. Edelman will focus on raising awareness of the walnut’s “robust health benefits and innumerable culinary applications” (love that one) and protecting its reputation against its sworn enemy, the hazelnut.
- In other West Coast news, Sausalito-based marketing communications agency Butler, Shine, Stern & Partners (BSSP) won the Blue Shield of California account after a review; BSSP will focus on brand awareness, marketing analytics and media buying. In the past, the agency has represented the AARP and the Blue Shield of California Foundation, which is a different organization. They’re also known for their work representing Google, US Bank and El Pollo Loco (which is sadly not a Gus Fring reference).
- Web education startup Great Parents Academy picked Atlanta’s Trevelino/Keller Communications as its PR AOR. T/K will help spread awareness of Great Parents, which offers “a gamified, online math curricula” and other services for K through 5th graders. But do they know that the world’s highest-paid professional gamer made nearly half a million dollars in 2012? Think about it.
- Boston-based SHIFT Communications will be AOR for MetTel, a provider of “IP-enabled communications solutions” or pretty much everything from voicemail to DSL and cloud storage service. Their website taught us that “SIP Trunking” is neither a new way to extract natural resources from the earth nor another term for whatever dance the kids are doing these days.
- The Ticker: Budweiser on the NFL; Facebook 'Best of'; Attack of the YouTube Stars; And More
- LaForce+Stevens Talks Tying Scandal to Fashion on Social
- Walmart Comms VP to Resign Over Fake Resume
- Former NSA Chief Compares ISIS Air Strikes to 'Friends with Benefits'