Aspirational or accessible, fabulous celebrity properties or home makeover solutions, brand new items or older but undiscovered products? These are a few of the many choices in the disparate home, garden and design media category. Types of outlets have also expanded, from coveted ‘shelter’ magazines to sought-after blogs to TV shows and out-of-home taxi video segments.
Pitching opportunities for stories and product placements have similarly increased. PCNY’s panel on Monday featured editors and producers from six home and design media outlets, all providing clues about optimal approaches. They also offered tips about what to send, such as photos or videos. One brand even has a ‘submit story’ button on their site.
The following national and local media outlets and panelists were represented:
• NBC/LXTV Open House, Tracy Evers, supervising producer
• Hearst Design Group’s 3 brands: Elle Décor, House Beautiful and Veranda, Orli Ben-Dor, Market Editor
• Lonny, digital magazine, John Newlin, editor-in-chief, Livingly Media
• Apartment Therapy blog, Maxwell Ryan, founder and CEO
• Inhabitat website, Jill Fehrenbacher, founder and editor
• The New York Observer newspaper, Kim Velsey, senior editor, real estate, development, urban planning
(First image is courtesy of Lonny.com, and second image is courtesy of Veranda.com)
Below is a brief rundown by outlet: