Whelp, I told you it would be whenever we felt like it.
And this topic just belongs underneath that banner rippling in the wind. At first, the genius minds that brought us Netflix kicked Blockbuster smooth out of commission and the 21st century.
And now, they may have created a new disease-ish stigma called “Binge Viewing.”
Never heard of it? Apparently, this is going to be known as that weekend when you have nothing planned but watching your toenails grow, so you check out that TV series collecting dust in your shiny DVR.
You crack open the popcorn, get in your sweats and watch TV for 12 hours straight. Oh, it’s real…
According to the Wall Street Journal (I know, right?), Netflix has determined this phenomenon that is reshaping TV culture — viewers devouring shows in lengthy chunks, episode after episode.
Executives say they found a strikingly consistent pattern in the pace at which people binge: In general, about half the viewers studied finished a season (up to 22 episodes) within one week.
“Our viewing data shows that the majority of streamers would actually prefer to have a whole season of a show available to watch at their own pace,” said Ted Sarandos, chief content officer of Netflix in a statement.”
And DYK that “binge watching” was runner-up for the word of the year next to Selfie? Very popular fun and yuks. Netflix only examined users who finished a season within the space of a month.
- For one serialized drama, 25 percent of the viewers finished the entire 13-episode season in two days
- While it took 48 percent of them one week to do so.
- The pace was pretty much the same for a very different kind of show—a sitcom with a 22-episode season: 16 percent of viewers finished the season in the equivalent of a weekend
- While 47 percent completed it within one week.
Just waiting for the next reality show to become a mash-up of ‘Hoarders’ and ‘Binge Viewers’. Maybe, TLC will call it “people too damn lazy to get a job?”
- HBO Drops Beats and Rhymes into Game of Thrones Promos
- The Muppets and Lipton Team Up to Make Life 'More Tea' (More Harmonious)
- This Is Why We Keep Getting Action Movies Starring 50-Plus-Year-Old Actors
- It's Scandal Premiere Night! And Some Fans Got A Goodie Bag to Get Ready