Create a business plan for your media startup
Startup Boot Camp is an online conference and workshop.
Join online entrepreneurs Rafat Ali (paidContent), Alexa Andrzejewski (Foodspotting), John Tayman (Byliner), Laurel Touby (mediabistro.com), as well as thought leaders on growing startups Eric Ries (Harvard Business School), Jeff Jarvis (CUNY Graduate School of Journalism), and Sree Sreenivasan (Columbia Journalism School) to learn strategies for launching a content business. (See full program.)
Learn what to consider when launching your startup. Draft your business plan over eight weeks with one-on-one guidance from an advisor. Participants will vote on the most viable business plans in the group and the winner will have the chance to hear feedback from entrepreneur and venture capitalist Larry Kramer (Polaris Ventures), who will also answer questions from the group. We'll discuss viable business models for media start-ups and address key questions related to content distribution and monetization.
How does this work?
This is an innovative online conference and workshop that bridges the best of conferences and online learning:
- Keynote speeches and live interviews with media entrepreneurs, with interactive Q&A sessions.
- Practical how-to sessions that show you how to put big ideas into immediate practice.
- Homework designed to get you started on your business plan.
- Peer interaction: Work closely with a small group. Get feedback from an advisor. And make meaningful connections with the entire attendee roster.
By the end of the online conference & workshop, you'll have:
- An understanding of startup culture, and a working draft of a business plan for your media company, including techniques for understanding your client base, analyzing your competition, and leveraging your project successfully.
- Plus you'll get ongoing guidance from the boot camp instructors and facilitators, special guests, and peers in your small group sessions.
- The top three business plans in the class will get live feedback in our final session from a media entrepreneur who worked as a venture capitalist.
Your Conference Leader
Manoush Zomorodi (@manoushz) is a reporter, host, and media coach. She freelances for Reuters Television, moderates corporate webcasts, and does private media training. Her clients have included Estee Lauder, Hearst Publications, Glover Park Group, the American Museum of Natural History, MedPageToday, and BreakingViews.com. From 1995-2006, Manoush was a reporter and producer for BBC News, with posts in Washington, New York, Berlin, and Brussels.