Manager of Youth Education
|Publication or Company
Manhattan Neighborhood Network
||401K/403B, Dental, Health
||New York, NY
||The Manager of Youth Education will participate in designing and implementing a comprehensive media education program for young people. S/he will be responsible for administering programs, teaching core classes, and serving as liaison with other educators. The Manager must be current and informed about media education and industry trends and innovations. Specific responsibilities are outlined below:
• Participates in planning and implementation of a comprehensive youth media education program that promotes critical thinking and all aspects of becoming a producer from concept to production and distribution.
• Designs and implements programs that engage with emerging media technologies and platforms.
• Coordinates programs, youth events and activities, develops curriculums and related materials, and ensures they are regularly updated.
• Develops and maintains relationships with high school and college educators.
• Teaches workshops in studio and/or field production; and assists students with obtaining MNN producer certification.
• Develops and implements best strategies and practices for assessment and program evaluation.
• Other duties as may be required.
• Develops and implements calendar of programs, workshops and special events.
• Coordinates application process for youth programs and internships.
• Arranges logistics including scheduling, reserving rooms and studios, and preparing handouts.
• Collects and compiles training evaluations by students and instructors.
• Maintains database and prepares monthly reports.
• Assists with general upkeep and cleanliness of classrooms, studios, and equipment.
• Other duties as may be required.
Required Education and Experience
• Bachelors’ degree in media, video, film or equivalent experience. Masters’ degree preferred.
• Minimum three (3) years teaching classes in film/video and/or television/studio production.
• Two (2) years direct field or studio production experience.
• Solid two-year track record in designing educational programs and their implementation.
• Knowledgeable about education theory and practice, how young people consume and produce media, and current broadcasting and distribution platforms and workflow.
• Basic knowledge of evaluation and assessment principles.
• Supervisory experience directing and coordinating the work of others.
• Experience working with social media platforms
• Excellent proficiency with Mac computer and Final Cut Pro required.
• Experience operating informational databases.
Other Job Requirements
• Demonstrated interest in community media education.
• Action-oriented work ethic and "can do" approach.
• Skilled in coordinating and producing media projects from beginning to end.
• Exceptional organizational skills with demonstrated ability to work independently, collectively and collaboratively with minimal supervision.
• Demonstrated problem solving skills, capacity to troubleshoot independently and make recommendations.
• Ability to maintain accurate records.
• Experience in conflict resolution.
• Available to work evening and weekend hours.
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits.
|About Our Company
||The Manhattan Neighborhood Network (MNN) El Barrio Firehouse Community Media Center is dedicated to media education and production. Housed at the MNN El Barrio Firehouse is the Youth Media Center, which offers young people opportunities to receive technical training and produce media about issues impacting their lives for broadcast on MNN cable channels and digital distribution platforms. The Center educates about media’s critical role in society and assists producers to voice social, political and cultural concerns through the media.
The MNN Youth Media Center seeks an experienced person to manage its youth media education, including developing and implementing programs, classes and workshops. The ideal candidate will have worked with students as a classroom teacher, have a proven track record in program conceptualization and implementation, and have experience as a producer in field and/or television studio production. The candidate must be knowledgeable about education theory and practice, how young people consume and produce media, and current media platforms and production trends.
The Manager of Youth Education works with and reports to the MNN El Barrio Firehouse Director and works closely with the Manager of Youth Programs and Outreach.