|Publication or Company
||Internet/Online/New Media, TV/Cable
New York, NY
||PIX11 News is looking for a hands-on newsroom leader with big market, cable or network experience to champion our content.
The right person for this role is a seasoned broadcast/digital journalist who shepherds the news process from the first tip to the last Facebook comment, and everything in between. You are the Managing Editor’s Managing Editor.
Specifically, you oversee the Assignment Desk. From where the crews go and what they cover to how long they’re out and what the overtime costs. You track it all. You are in charge of planning the big known events such as elections and inaugurations, the things that happen with some warning like storm coverage, and breaking news. PIX11 relies on your journalism and operational skills to do what it takes to get the job done right. You supervise the content planning and creation process across all platforms at every stage of the process.
Your background may have come from any place in a newsroom, but you know what it takes to get news to air, including uploading video or booking a guest. But your truest gift is in supporting others to perform beyond their wildest dreams, improving our protocols, systems, criteria and processes along the way.
Your high standards bring out the best work from your team and manage them under tight deadline conditions. As a supervisor, you build strong relationships and alliances within the newsroom and all aspects of the company, extracting the resources of PIX11 and the Tribune family to maximum potential. You know when and how far to push the limit.
Reporting to the Managing Editor, and working closely with the Senior Executive Producer and EPs, you manage up, sideways and down while always looking ahead to make sure PIX11 is ahead of the competition in terms of speed, accuracy and serving our audience.
You see to it the right people are in the right place at the right time doing the right things for the right platform with the right tools. When we fall short, you implement new protocols and write the how-to manual for the way forward.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Oversee the Assignment desk. Ensure PIX11 News is on top of all important stories, covering with crews, monitoring for updates, following up on second-day coverage, working with planners on schedule for next day and beyond.
• Reporting to the Managing Editor, and working closely with the Senior Executive Producer and EPs, you manage up, sideways and down while always looking ahead to make sure PIX11 News coverage is ahead of the competition in terms of speed, accuracy and serving our audience
• Lead the futures planning process for big coverage including, but not limited to, known events such as primaries, elections, parades, celebrations, sporting events, rallies, political demonstrations, storm coverage, breaking news, disaster coverage, etc.
• Facilitate the editorial process at every stage by managing others and putting your own skills to work when necessary.
• Ensure all platforms are being served in the most efficient way to get the news out first, fastest, most accurate way. Be in constant communication with crews to motivate quick transmission of content back to the newsroom for distribution to PIX11 platforms.
• Monitor and track costs of coverage, including satellite times, crew lunch and overtime.
• Manage performance management for employees, processes and systems.
• College degree.
• 5-7 years of experience, at least 3 in a management role.
• Working knowledge of live production, remote production, digital delivery workflows, ENG delivery and technical requirements involved with broadcast television
• Strong knowledge of Manhattan, boroughs and surrounding geography.
• Familiarity with Newsroom computer systems such as ENPS, iNews, OPUS, TONS
• Excellent communication and problem solving skills
• Attention to detail and team oriented