CBS News has announced its coverage plans for the upcoming political conventions, which kick off next week in Tampa. Coverage will be led by “CBS Evening News” anchor Scott Pelley, “Face the Nation” anchor Bob Schieffer and “CBS This Morning” co-hosts Charlie Rose and Norah O’Donnell.
In addition to hosting “Evening News” from Tampa and Charlotte for the duration of the respective conventions, Pelley will helm a one-hour primetime special at 10pmET on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of both the DNC and the RNC. Schieffer will be live from Tampa the Sunday before the RNC and from Charlotte the Sunday before the DNC for “Face the Nation.” Rose will host “CBS This Morning” from Tampa and Charlotte, with co-host Gayle King remaining in New York.
Additionally, Bill Whitaker will report from the convention floor in Tampa and Byron Pitts will report from the convention floor in Charlotte. Jan Crawford travels to Tampa with Mitt Romney, while Nancy Cordes travels to Charlotte with President Barack Obama. Bill Plante and John Dickerson will also contribute to the network’s coverage.
More information in CBS’ release, after the jump.
THE MOST EXPERIENCED TEAM IN BROADCAST NEWS – SCOTT PELLEY, BOB SCHIEFFER, CHARLIE ROSE AND NORAH O’DONNELL – LEAD CBS NEWS’ DIVISION-WIDE, MULTI-PLATFORM COVERAGE OF THE 2012 REPUBLICAN AND DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL CONVENTIONS
THE “CBS EVENING NEWS WITH SCOTT PELLEY,” “CBS THIS MORNING” AND “FACE THE NATION WITH BOB SCHIEFFER” WILL BROADCAST LIVE FROM BOTH CONVENTIONS
CBS NEWS WILL PROVIDE LIVE, PRIMETIME COVERAGE TUESDAY-THURSDAY FROM EACH CONVENTION STARTING AT 10:00 PM, ET
The most experienced team in broadcast news – CBS EVENING NEWS Anchor and Managing Editor Scott Pelley, CBS News Chief Washington Correspondent and FACE THE NATION Anchor Bob Schieffer and CBS THIS MORNING co-hosts Charlie Rose and Norah O’Donnell – will lead CBS News’ division-wide coverage of the Republican National Convention and the Democratic National Convention.
They will be joined by an extensive team of correspondents, providing original reporting for coverage that will include live broadcasts of the CBS EVENING NEWS WITH SCOTT PELLEY, CBS THIS MORNING and FACE THE NATION, in addition to primetime coverage from both convention sites.
The following is an overview of CBS News’ planned convention coverage:
- Scott Pelley will anchor three hours of live, primetime coverage from the Republican Convention in Tampa, Fla., Tuesday, August 28-Thursday, August 30 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET) and three hours of live coverage from the Democratic Convention in Charlotte, N.C., Tuesday, Sept. 4-Thursday, Sept. 6 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET). Joining Pelley will be Bob Schieffer and Norah O’Donnell. Additionally, CBS News Correspondent Bill Whitaker will report from the convention floor in Tampa; CBS News Chief National Correspondent Byron Pitts will report from the convention floor in Charlotte; CBS News Political and Chief Legal Correspondent Jan Crawford will travel to Tampa with GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney; and Congressional Correspondent Nancy Cordes will travel to Charlotte with President Barack Obama. CBS News Senior White House Correspondent Bill Plante and CBS News Political Director John Dickerson will contribute to the coverage.
- The CBS EVENING NEWS WITH SCOTT PELLEY will broadcast live from both conventions Monday-Thursday (6:30-7:00 PM, ET).
- Charlie Rose will co-host CBS THIS MORNING live from both conventions Tuesday-Thursday (7:00-9:00 AM, ET). Gayle King will co-host from New York.
- FACE THE NATION WITH BOB SCHIEFFER will broadcast live from Tampa on Sunday, August 26 and from Charlotte on Sunday, Sept. 2 (10:30 AM, ET).
- CBS Radio News’ coverage will include live updates each night of the conventions, live anchored and unanchored feeds of all major events, the Republican and Democratic acceptance speeches, as well as other reports and features for CBS Radio News affiliates’ websites. CBS Radio News will also stream live, gavel-to-gavel coverage on its iPhone app.
- CBSNews.com will stream gavel-to-gavel coverage, as well as pre- and post-broadcast webcasts, from the Republican Convention on Tuesday, August 28-Thursday, August 30 (8:30 PM, ET and 11:00 PM, ET) and the Democratic Convention on Tuesday, Sept. 4- Thursday, Sept. 6 (8:30 PM, ET and 11:00 PM, ET). CBSNews.com’s coverage will also include additional reporting, on-demand video and comprehensive social media coverage of all events.
- CBS News, National Journal and The Atlantic will present daily briefing events each morning featuring informed insight on the latest convention developments with incisive analysis from leading reporters from all three organizations. Among the moderators are Bob Schieffer, Norah O’Donnell, Bill Plante and John Dickerson. CBSNews.com will live stream the events.
- President Obama’s Year-End News Conference Features 'Naughty or Nice' List
- 'CBS This Morning' Surprises Gayle King With Early Birthday Celebration
- Megyn Kelly on White House Christmas Party: 'Boy oh Boy Did I See a Lot of MSNBC Anchors'
- Greta the Diplomat