CBS News is following up its CBS REPORTS: Children of the Recession with CBS REPORTS: Where American Stands.
In an email to staff, obtained by TVNewser, CBS News & Sports president Sean McManus writes the multi-platform, multi-week, multi-broadcast effort, “will gather and convey a realistic assessment of our country’s status and preparedness on a range of the most critical national, social and cultural indicators.”
The stories will cover issues including the military, healthcare, crime, and education and they will appear on several CBS News programs and on CBSNews.com.
More details after the jump…
NEWS ANNOUNCES “CBS REPORTS: WHERE AMERICA STANDS”
LANDMARK CROSS-PLATFORM SERIES WILL PROVIDE A COMPREHENSIVE ASSESSMENT OF WHERE THE NATION STANDS IN KEY AREAS AND EXAMINES OUR READINESS TO FACE THE CHALLENGES OF THE NEW DECADE
Today, CBS News and Sports President Sean McManus announced CBS News’ next major CBS REPORTS initiative: CBS REPORTS: Where America Stands, a landmark cross-platform series that will provide a comprehensive assessment of where the United States stands on a broad array of vital issues and will examine America’s readiness to face the challenges of the future. The initiative will begin the first week in January to coincide with the new decade and will continue across a number of months.
“American society has experienced a seismic shift in so many areas over the last decade,” said McManus. “Our expectations for the future, our sense of America’s place in the world, even our national priorities all seem in flux. We want to provide our viewers with a report card on America through compelling stories across all CBS News platforms and broadcasts that will present honest assessments of areas with the greatest impact on our individual lives as well as our national preparedness. These stories will give viewers benchmarks against which to gauge where we stand today and where we are going in the decade ahead.”
The broad-reaching CBS REPORTS: Where America Stands will explore key areas that affect all Americans including:
- Military preparedness, diplomacy and the defense of US interests;
- Protecting Americans from constantly evolving terror threats, tactics and weapons;
- Financial security in challenging economic times;
- Educational challenges and innovations, job preparedness and competitiveness;
- Emerging industry and employment trends and challenges faced by small business;
- Health challenges, medical advancements and aging;
- Crime, punishment and the law;
- Economic interdependence and shifts in international balances of power;
- Immigration, culture, identity, and faith, ethnic and race relations.
Via reporting, analysis and revealing interviews of American pioneers and innovators who exemplify the best of our nation’s thinking in these fields, the multi-week series will disclose not only where we stand today in these and other areas, but also where we might want to be and how we can get there.
Following the successful model of the critically-acclaimed 2009 CBS REPORTS: Children of the Recession, CBS REPORTS: Where America Stands programming will appear across a variety of CBS News platforms and broadcasts, including CBS EVENING NEWS WITH KATIE COURIC, FACE THE NATION, SUNDAY MORNING, THE EARLY SHOW, the Saturday edition of THE EARLY SHOW, CBS EVENING NEWS Weekend Editions, CBS RADIO NEWS and CBSNews.com. CBS Newsâ€™ Polling & Survey Unit will present statistical analysis on the various areas.
Themed online content is debuting today on www.CBSNews.com.
- 'CBS This Morning' Surprises Gayle King With Early Birthday Celebration
- Megyn Kelly on White House Christmas Party: 'Boy oh Boy Did I See a Lot of MSNBC Anchors'
- How Scott Pelley Made It to Cuba Just in Time for 'The CBS Evening News'
- Bob Schieffer 'Stunned' Cuba News Wasn't Leaked: 'This is Just a Bombshell'