Breaking: Insiders tell TVNewser that in a production meeting late this afternoon just before the 5pmET edition of Hardball, Chris Matthews told the Hardball team that he would not be running for senate.
> More from the NYTimes‘ Bill Carter: Mr. Matthews declined to comment, as did executives from NBC News. But one executive said that discussions with Mr. Matthews for a new contract to remain on “Hardball” were continuing.
> Earlier on TVNewser:
• Feb. 1, 2008: Is Chris Matthews Running for Senate?
- Phil Griffin on MSNBC Daytime: 'Tough Stretch' but 'In This for the Long-term'
- José Díaz-Balart: 'Embarrassing' That There Aren't More Latino Voices on Cable News
- Q3 2014 Ratings: MSNBC Has Lowest Rated Quarter Since 2007
- MSNBC Doesn't Renew Contributor Goldie Taylor's Contract