Phillips, who’s based in Atlanta and Roberts, who anchors American Morning from New York, were on a weekend getaway at the Greenbrier Resort in West Virginia. As they approached the 18th green, Phillips noticed something on the pin — turns out it was a card and the engagement ring was in the cup.
Roberts got down on one knee and, with two Greenbrier staffers nearby ready to pour some champagne, he proposed and she said yes.
Phillips, who has loved golf since her grandfather taught her the game, got an extra surprise back at the room: a signed pin flag with a note of congratulations (below) from Tom Watson, her favorite pro.
“He definitely knows the way to my heart and that’s through golf,” says Phillips.
The Greenbrier was also a meaningful spot for Roberts. Roberts tells TVNewser the Greenbrier provided food to many of the rescue and recovery crews in the days after the Montcoal mine tragedy earlier this month. Roberts covered the story from nearby Marsh Fork.
And there’s more golf tomorrow for the engaged couple. They are taking part in a tournament in D.C. benefiting Fisher House, which supports families of wounded soldiers.
As for today’s 18th, the nerves got the best of Phillips. She bogeyed the hole. No wedding date set yet.
• Earlier on TVNewser: The News About CNN Anchors John Roberts and Kyra Phillips
- Indra Petersons Leaving CNN; Weather Operations Return to Atlanta
- 'I Can Handle a Stupid Dish': Mike Rowe's Dog Volunteers to Get CNN Back on Satellite
- @CNNbrk Cracks 20 Million Followers
- CNN's Jake Tapper Unites Democrats and Republicans in Praise of Tough, Fair Debate