That really is the editor of the National Enquirer, David Perel, appearing on CNN.
CNN is the one network that has not mentioned the story at all (MSNBC played a clip twice of a David Letterman reference to the affair). In the weeks since the National Enquirer story hit, most cablers spent little or no time reporting it. Today’s ABC News scoop opened the floodgates.
Just before 3:30pmET, Perel was a guest on CNN, and took the chance to take a shot at the media:
In reporting on the affair, I think a lot of people found it a very difficult story to prove. Also, his denial was so vociferous. He kept calling it tabloid trash. I think the disconcerting part is that a lot of news organizations didn’t dig in as the evidence the Enquirer was uncovering was mounting and mounting and mounting, including catching him in the hotel a couple of weeks ago with Rielle. I was surprised that more big news organizations weren’t doing their own reporting. But I think see that today the enquiere story holds up very well.
• Update: Now Perel is on Fox News.
- Time Warner Talked with Glenn Beck About Replacing HLN with The Blaze
- Don Lemon Hip Hop Artist Interview Devolves Into Media Debate, Claims of Anchor Disrespect
- Protestor Interrupts Anderson Cooper's Interview with Trayvon Martin's Mother
- CNN Removes iReport Saying Missouri Patrol Captain is Gang Member