As we reported yesterday, Beck had a rough month ratings-wise in May, slipping -17% in total viewers and -33% in the adults 25-54 demo compared to last year. That said, he still handily topped his competition on CNN and MSNBC. In fact only two shows drew higher ratings than Beck in all of cable news: “The O’Reilly Factor” and “Hannity,” both of which are in primetime.
A source with knowledge of the situation says that June 30 has always been the planned date for Beck’s departure, so the May ratings were not a factor in setting it.
As TVNewser first reported last week, Beck is planning to launch a web-based TV network called GBTV after he leaves FNC. No launch window has been given for the new service, but as we reported at the time former FNC executive Joel Cheatwood is already developing programming for it.
FNC has not named a permanent replacement for Beck, though one name that we have heard in conversations is Megyn Kelly, who went on maternity leave after having her second child earlier this year.
Fox News spokeswoman Irena Briganti tells us, “There are several people being considered for the 5pm timeslot.”