TVSpy LostRemote AgencySpy PRNewser FishbowlNY FishbowlDC SocialTimes AllFacebook 10,000 Words GalleyCat UnBeige MediaJobsDaily

July 2012 Ratings: Dayside Shows Strongest For MSNBC

MSNBC continued its run as the #2 cable news network in July, second to Fox News in both total day and primetime. Despite a big news month, MSNBC was still down in both dayparts compared to last year, however.

The ratings for July, 2012:

  • Primetime (Mon-Sun): 713,000 Total Viewers / 221,000 A25-54
  • Total Day (Mon-Sun): 432,000 Total Viewers / 142,000 A25-54

July was a big news month, led by the tragedy in Colorado, and ending with the Olympics. MSNBC had some live Olympics programming at the end of the month, which slightly affected the monthly numbers in the network’s favor. In Total Day, MSNBC was down -3% in Total Viewers and down -11% in the A25-54 demo compared to July 2011 (with Ol;ympics excluded, MSNBC is down -6% in total viewers and -17% in the demo). In primetime, the network was down -5% in Total Viewers and -11% in the demo.

Some highlights for MSNBC included 12 PM show “Now with Alex Wagner,” “Andrea Mitchell Reports,” “NewsNation” and “Martin Bashir,” all of which improved on their July 2011 ratings in total viewers. “The Last Word” also improved in both total and demo viewers compared to last year. That said, those shows were down slightly in the demo.

On the other side of the coin: “Rachel Maddow” and “The Ed Show” were down compared to 2011, and the new 3 PM show “The Cycle” clearly has some work to do, and is down double digits compared to “Dylan Ratigan” a year earlier.

Read MSNBC’s release after the jump.

MSNBC DOMINATES CNN IN JULY

MSNBC Tops CNN in M-F Primetime By 65% in Total Viewers and 50% in A25-54 for the Month

MSNBC Ranks #1 Among Adults 18-34 in M-F Primetime, M-Su Primetime and Total Day for July

NEW YORK –July 31, 2012 – MSNBC once again dominated CNN during the month of July, topping the network in all major ratings categories according to data from Nielsen.

For the month, MSNBC topped CNN by 66% among total viewers (855,000 vs. 518,000) and by 50% among A25-54 (240,000 vs. 160,000) in weekday primetime. MSNBC also ranked #1 among A18-34 in weekday prime, topping both CNN and Fox News Channel.

MSNBC beat CNN in M-Su Primetime, with a 48% advantage over CNN in both A25-54 (221,000 vs. 149, 000) and 46% in total viewers (713,000 vs. 488,000). MSNBC also ranked #1 among the younger demo of A18-34 in M-Su Primetime.

In total day (M-Su 6a-6a), MSNBC ranked #2 with a 22% lead over CNN in A25-54 (133,000 vs. 109,000) and by 17% in total viewers (417,000 vs. 355,000). MSNBC also ranked #1 in A18-34 in total day for the month. (Excluding Olympic coverage).

The following are MSNBC’s morning and primetime ratings highlights for July 2012:

* At 5:30 a.m. “Way Too Early” was #2 beating CNN in total viewers (172,000 vs.147,000) and A25-54 (75,000 vs. 69,000).

* “Morning Joe” ranked #2, topping CNN by 49% in A25-54 (139,000 vs. 94,000) and by 71% among total viewers (387,000 vs. 226,000). This is the 16th straight month “Morning Joe” has beaten CNN both total viewers and A25-54. “Morning Joe” was also #2 among the younger demo of A18-34, up 17% compared to July 2011.

* “Hardball with Chris Matthews” at 5 p.m. ranked #2 in total viewers for the 10th consecutive month, with a 37% advantage over CNN (736,000 vs. 539,000).

* “PoliticsNation” with Al Sharpton at 6 p.m. ranked #2, topping CNN by 11% among A25-54 (134,000 vs. 121,000) and by 63% among total viewers (696,000 vs. 428,000). “PoliticsNation” is up 9% among total viewers over July 2011, more growth than all cable news programs in the hour combined.

* At 7 p.m. “Hardball with Chris Matthews” ranked #2 for the 12th straight month, beating CNN’s “Erin Burnett Outfront” by 19% in A25-54 (148,000 vs. 124,000) and by 71% among total viewers (676,000 vs. 396,000).

* “The Ed Show” at 8 p.m. ranked #2 beating CNN’s “Anderson Cooper 360” by 21% in A25-54 (195,000 vs. 161,000) and 55% in total viewers (827,000 vs. 532,000) for the month. This is the 53th straight month MSNBC has beaten CNN at 8 p.m. in total viewers. “The Ed Show” grew in A18-34 by 9%, the only growth posted by a cable news program in the hour.

* “The Rachel Maddow Show” at 9 p.m. had an 84% advantage over CNN’s “Piers Morgan Tonight” among A25-54 (283,000 vs. 154,000) and a 75% lead among total viewers (967,000 vs. 554,000). “The Rachel Maddow Show” has now topped CNN for 30 straight months among total viewers and 16 consecutive months in A25-54. “Maddow” was also ranked #1 among A18-34, up 31% from July 2011 – the only growth in the time period. Compared to July 2011, “Piers Morgan Tonight” was down double digits across the board, including -18% in total viewers and -24% in A25-54.

* “The Last Word with Lawrence O’Donnell” ranked #2 at 10 p.m. with a 56% advantage over “Anderson Cooper 360” in A25-54 (282,000 vs. 181,000) and 88% among total viewers (967,000 vs. 515,000). “The Last Word” increased 3% among A25-54 and 11% in total viewers compared to July 2011, “The Last Word” was also #1 among the younger demo A18-34, up 42% compared to July 2011. “Anderson Cooper 360” is down -36% in A25-54 and -32% in total viewers vs. July 2011.

* MSNBC is #1 in delivering African American total viewers among cable news channels for the 30th consecutive month in M-Su Primetime.

MSNBC’s daytime and weekend program highlights include (EXCLUDING OLYMPIC DATA):

* “The Daily Rundown” with Chuck Todd at 9 a.m. topped CNN to rank #2 for the ninth consecutive month in total viewers. Among A18-34, “The Daily Rundown” is up 70% compared for July 2011, more growth than all cable news programs in the hour combined.

* At 10 a.m., “Jansing & Co.” was up 47% in the younger demo of A18-34 compared to July 2011– more growth than all cable news programs in the hour combined.

* At 11 a.m. “MSNBC Live” with Thomas Roberts was up 42% with A18-34 over July 2011, the only growth posted by a cable news program in the hour. MSNBC Live was also up 2% with Total Viewers over July 2011.

* “NOW with Alex Wagner” at noon was up 21% with total viewers compared to July 2011. “NOW” also ranked #1 among A18-34, up 41% vs. July 2011 – the only program growth in the hour.

* “Andrea Mitchell Reports” at 1 p.m. grew 5% among total viewers and 40% among A18-34 compared to July 2011 – the only cable news growth in the time period.

* “NewsNation” with Tamron Hall was up 6% with total viewers and 4% with A18-34 over July 2011.

* At 4p.m., “Martin Bashir” ranked #2 among total viewers, up 24% compared to July 2011 – more growth than all other cable news programs in the hour combined.

* On Saturdays in July through July 22 (excluding Olympic data), “Up w/ Chris Hayes” (Sat 8a-10a.) ranked #2 among total viewers, up 16% over July 2011, more growth in the time period than all other cable news outlets combined. “Up” also grew 3% among A25-54, while both CNN and FXNC were down. “Melissa Harris-Perry” (Sat 10a-12n) grew 4% in total viewers compared to July 2011, the only growth in the time period.

* On Sundays in July through July 22 (excluding Olympics data), “Up w/ Chris Hayes” (8a-10a) beat CNN by 49% among A25-54 (153,000 vs. 103,000) and by 11% with total viewers (385,000 vs. 348,000). “Up” grew 12% with A25-54 and 23% with total viewers compared to July 2011. “Up” also ranked #1 among the younger demo of A18-34. “Melissa Harris-Perry” (10a-12n) topped CNN by 6%in A25-54 (110,000 vs. 104,000) and ranked #1 with A18-34.

* MSNBC ranked #1 in the younger demo of A18-34 in weekend sales prime (Sa/Su 7p-2a) for the 45rd consecutive month.

Mediabistro Course

Get $25 OFF Podcasting

PodcastingStarting July 31, learn how to develop and create your own podcast in just a a matter of weeks! In this course you'll learn how to determine the goals of your podcast, pinpoint your concept, contact and book guests, distribute and market your podcast and more. Get $25 OFF with code CLASS25. Register now!