With the Casey Anthony trial come and gone HLN has come back to earth, with hopes the Conrad Murray trial coverage will deliver for the network in October. The third quarter, which included the Anthony trial, was HLN’s best quarter ever in total day among Total Viewers, and its best since Q1 2009 in A24-54 viewers.
For the month of September, HLN’s primetime was down -15% in Total Viewers and down -12% in younger viewers year-over-year. Total Day viewing fared better with the network up +12% in Total Viewers, but down -8% in younger viewers.
The ratings for September, 2011:
- Primetime (Mon-Sun): 413K Total Viewers / 113K A25-54
- Total Day (Mon-Sun): 268K Total Viewers / 93K A25-54
For the month, “Issues” at 7pm, “Dr. Drew” at 9pm and “Joy Behar” at 10pmET are all up in Total Viewers, while “Dr. Drew” is also up (+7%) in the demo vs. the 9pmET show last year, which was “Joy Behar.”
HLN release after the jump…
HLN POSTS STRONG DOUBLE-DIGIT GAINS IN Q3 11
Q3 Marks Network Milestones and Firsts; Beats MSNBC in Dayside
Prime Programs Including ‘Issues with Jane Velez-Mitchell,’ ‘Nancy Grace,’ ‘Dr. Drew’ and ‘The Joy Behar Show’ Surge
HLN experienced significant double-digit gains in Prime (Mon-Sun) and Total Day Q3 11 vs. Q3 10:
• In Prime, HLN increased +67% (674k vs. 404k) in P2+ and +49% (192k vs. 129k) in P25-54;
• In Total Day, the network surged +71% (451k vs. 264k) in P2+ and +32% (150k vs. 114k) in P25-54.
In addition, Q3 is HLN’s best quarter ever in total day among total viewers, and its best since Q1 09 among P24-54. Moreover, HLN handily outperformed MSNBC in daytime (9 a.m.–5 p.m.) by 33% in P2+ (480k vs. 360k) and 46% in P25-54 (147k vs. 101k) and HLN topped MSNBC in daytime in Q2 as well.
Led by HLN’s deep bench of talent, network programming also experienced notable gains, including:
• Morning Express with Robin Meade (6 a.m. – 10 a.m.) increased +23% in P2+ (380k vs. 310k), edging out MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” among P25-54 (154k vs. 152k);
• HLN Special Report, hosted by Vinnie Politan (5 p.m. ET) posted triple-digit gains, +182% in P2+ (575k vs. 204k) and +106% in P25-54 (169k vs. 82k);
• Prime News, hosted by Vinnie Politan (6 p.m. ET) up +133% in P2+ (561k vs. 241k) and +73% in P25-54 (166k vs. 96k);
• Issues with Jane Velez-Mitchell (7 p.m. ET) increased +61% in P2+ (658k vs. 408k) and +28% in P25-54 (188k vs. 147k), besting MSNBC’s “Hardball with Chris Matthews” by +3% in P25-54;
• Nancy Grace (8 p.m.) up +48% in P2+ (929k vs. 628k) and +36% in P25-54 (261k vs. 192k), outperforming MSNBC’s “The Last Word with Lawrence O’Donnell” by 10% in P2+ and 30% in P25-54;
• Dr. Drew (9 p.m.) increased +63% in P2+ (751k vs. 460k) and +66% in P25-54 (213k vs. 128k);
• The Joy Behar Show (10 p.m.) up +38% in P2+ (522k vs. 377k), maintaining last year’s demo audience levels;
• Showbiz Tonight (11 p.m.) increased +21% in P2+ (401k vs. 331k).