TVSpy LostRemote AgencySpy PRNewser FishbowlNY FishbowlDC SocialTimes AllFacebook 10,000 Words GalleyCat UnBeige MediaJobsDaily

Posts Tagged ‘Lara Logan’

Lara Logan’s Leave of Absence Continues, As Fager Meets with Staff

lara logan benghazi reportCBS News chairman Jeff Fager held meeting with “CBS This Morning” staffers Tuesday and took questions about the botched “60 Minutes” report, Politico’s Dylan Byers reports. Correspondent Lara Logan and her producer Max McClellan are on a leave of absence, following the results of an internal report on their discredited story. Logan was notably absent from Sunday’s “60 Minutes” open.

Fager said he did not know how long Logan and her producer would be on leave, and made no indication that they would be asked to resign in the wake of the now-retracted report, according to sources familiar with the meeting. Those sources said Fager defended Logan as a valuable member of the ’60 Minutes’ team even as he acknowledged the erroneous nature of the report. “He did not throw her under the bus,” one source said of Fager’s remarks about Logan.

Scott Pelley Steps In Last Minute For Lara Logan At Journalism Awards Ceremony

ScottPelleyScott Pelley stepped in as host last night for Lara Logan at the International Press Freedom Awards in Manhattan.

Logan was supposed to host for the event put on by the Committee to Protect Journalists, but dropped out over the controversy of her discredited “60 Minutes” report. Earlier in the day CBS Chairman Jeff Fager announced Logan and her producer Max McClellan were put on a leave of absence following the release of an internal report that found the Benghazi report “deficient in several respects.”

Pelley did not speak about the “60 Minutes” controversy at the awards ceremony, but TIME Inc. Chief Content Officer Norman Pearlstine did, defending Logan, and suggesting more of the blame should be shouldered by Logan’s editor.

“I tend to think that more often than not it is really the editor, sitting behind the desk directing the reporter, who is more at fault and more to blame than the reporter,” Pearlstine said. “It is often a very difficult task when a story gets an extraordinary head of steam to stop it, and yet that, quite often, is really the way that editors do protect journalists. “

Ecuadorean television reporter Janet Hinostroza, Egyptian television host and satirist Bassem Youssef, Turkey’s investigative journalist Nedim Sener, and Vietnam blogger Nguyen Van Hai all received awards.

 

Lara Logan Takes Leave of Absence from CBS

lara-loganLara Logan, the correspondent on the discredited Benghazi “60 Minutes” story will be taking a leave of absence from the program in the wake of the release of an internal report on the matter.

In an email to staff, obtained by TVNewser, CBS News chairman Jeff Fager writes, “I have asked Lara Logan, who has distinguished herself and has put herself in harm’s way many times in the course of covering stories for us, to take a leave of absence, which she has agreed to do. I have asked the same of producer Max McClellan, who also has a distinguished career at CBS News.”

Fager, who is also the executive producer of “60 Minutes” is taking some of the blame for the report. “I am responsible for what gets on the air. I pride myself in catching almost everything, but this deception got through and it shouldn’t have.”

“This was a regrettable mistake,” Fager continues. “But there are many fine professionals at 60 Minutes who produce some of the very best of broadcast journalism, covering the important and interesting stories of our times, and they will continue to do so each and every Sunday.”

Fager’s memo after the jump…

Read more

CBS News Internal Review Finds Benghazi Story ‘Deficient in Several Respects’

LoganApologyAl Ortiz, the Executive Director of Standards and Practices for CBS News has released his report on the discredited “60 Minutes” story on the attack on the U.S. mission in Benghazi, Libya.

“My review found that the Benghazi story aired by 60 Minutes on October 27 was deficient in several respects,” Ortiz writes in his report summary, which was obtained by TVNewser.

Ortiz questions why Lara Logan and her team did not do a better job obtaining an FBI report which differed from the story Dylan Davies told them.

“It’s possible that reporters and producers with better access to inside FBI sources could have found out that Davies had given varying and conflicting accounts of his story,” Ortiz writes. “Logan and producer Max McClellan told me they found no reason to doubt Davies’ account and found no holes in his story. But the team did not sufficiently vet Davies’ account of his own actions and whereabouts that night.”

“This crucial point – his admission that he had not told his employer the truth about his own actions – should have been a red flag in the editorial vetting process.”

Ortiz also discovered that a month before starting work on the Benghazi story, in Oct. 2012, Logan gave a speech in which she argued that the U.S. Government was misrepresenting the threat from Al Qaeda, and urging action in response to the attack in Benghazi.

“From a CBS News Standards perspective, there is a conflict in taking a public position on the government’s handling of Benghazi and Al Qaeda, while continuing to report on the story,” he writes.

CBS News spokesperson Sonya McNair tells TVNewser, “The 60 MINUTES journalistic review is concluded, and we are implementing ongoing changes based on its results.”

Read Ortiz’s summary of the report after the jump…

Read more

’60 Minutes’ Viewership Holds In Wake of Discredited Benghazi Story

60minutesThe viewership of “60 Minutes” doesn’t seem to have suffered much in the wake of the discredited report on the attack in Benghazi last month.

Since that story aired on Oct. 27, the show has averaged 14.309 million total viewers in its three airings. In the four weeks before the story aired the show averaged 13.56 million.

The Oct. 27 edition of the show, which has received the most press attention for a “60 Minutes” story in years, was the least-watched this season. That show drew just over 10 million viewers, dropping out of the Top 20 shows for that week — a week which included the World Series.

A week later, the Nov. 3 edition drew 15.81 million viewers and was the fourth most-watched broadcast TV program of the week. On Nov. 10, 15.26 million tuned in, making it the fifth most-watched of the week. This past Sunday, without an NFL lead-in, the show dropped to 10th, with a respectable 11.861 million watching.

The show hit a season high on Oct. 6 drawing 18 million viewers, making it the second most-watched show of the week and the most-watched “60 Minutes” since last December.

On ‘SNL,’ ’60 Minutes’ Believes Toronto Mayor’s Story

SNL60MinutesTonight’s “Saturday Night Live” cold open was all about embattled Toronto Mayor Rob Ford. (What, you thought it’d be Obamacare?)

It started with a CBC “interview” with Ford. The anchor wasn’t buying Ford’s excuses for his behavior. “Then I’m going to go on a show where people do believe me and will believe anything I say,” says the Bobby Moynihan version of Ford. Queue Kate McKinnon, playing “60 Minutes” correspondent Lara Logan.

“So Mayor Ford, once and for all, what is the truth?”

“I have never done crack.”

“I believe you.”

“I’ve also never smoked pot.”

“I believe you.”

“And I’ve never had alcohol.”

“Mayor Ford?… I believe you.”

“Oh, my God. This is the best show.”

The Evening Ticker: Oliver, Delgado, Davies

  • John Oliver is leaving “The Daily Show” for HBO where he will host his own weekly program. The Sunday evening show will be a topical comedy series debuting in 2014.

  • Jennifer Delgado is joining The Weather Channel as a meteorologist based out of Atlanta. Delgado comes from CNN International and CNN domestic.

CBS News Conducting ‘Journalistic Review’ Into ’60 Minutes’ Benghazi Story

LoganApologyCBS News is conducting an “ongoing journalistic review” into that “60 Minutes” report on the attack on the U.S. mission in Benghazi last year. Correspondent Lara Logan has apologized, twice, on air for being “misled” by former security contractor Dylan Davies.

The AP’s David Bauder reports:

The network would not say Wednesday who is conducting its review, whether anyone outside the network was involved, or whether the results would be made public. CBS has given no indication that Logan or anyone else involved in reporting or vetting the story will face disciplinary action.

“It’s far from over,” a source tells TVNewser. Bauder asks several questions that are “ripe for discussion.”

Read more

Dan Rather: CBS ‘Trying To Airbrush Me Out Of Their History’

Rather1963Dan Rather to CBS: Get over it.

Despite the scorched earth he left behind, Rather insists he’s baffled as to why his alma mater of 44 years did not invite him to participate in its 50th anniversary coverage of the Kennedy assassination.

“Was I surprised? Let the record show I paused,” says Rather, 82, who as a young CBS reporter covering JFK’s visit to Dallas on Nov. 22, 1963, broke the news that the President was dead. “Yes, I was surprised.”

“I am an optimist…. In my optimism, I thought that maybe, just maybe, what was developing as I left CBS would fade and be past. Looking back on it, they were trying to airbrush me out of their history, like the Kremlin. I didn’t understand it while it was happening…

“I had hoped that whatever animus was there, as time goes by, would fade, and maybe they would change their minds. What’s next – I’m airbrushed out of Watergate coverage? Vietnam? Tiananmen Square? 9/11? Where does this lead?”

In fact, archival footage of Rather will be included in CBS’s special on Saturday, as will some of his previously-aired reminiscences. He will anchor his own retrospective Monday on AXS-TV, where he hosts ‘Dan Rather Reports.’ Also, he’ll appear with NBC’s Tom Brokaw on ‘Today’ Nov. 22.

CBS and Rather are not exactly on speaking terms. Since Memogate in 2004, he’s been a virtual persona non grata. Forced out as anchor after 24 years, he bitterly left the network in 2006 and later filed a $70 million suit. It was dismissed in 2009 by New York State’s highest court.

Though the suit cost him millions of dollars personally, he has no regrets. “It was about trying to save a body of work,” he says. “…There was no line at CBS running from Murrow to Cronkite to Rather. Rather, in effect, never existed…. Anybody in my position would have done what they could to preserve 44 years of work.”

Rather refuses to comment on the ongoing scandal at CBS’s “60 Minutes” involving Lara Logan’s report on Benghazi. She apologized on the air Sunday for having been “misled” by a security contractor who told inconsistent stories about being an eyewitness to the attack.

Read more

Lara Logan: ‘The Truth is, We Made a Mistake’

LoganApologyCBS News correspondent Lara Logan ended tonight’s “60 Minutes” with an apology for her report three weeks ago on the attacks on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi. As we’ve been reporting, Logan’s primary source for her report was a former U.S. contractor named Dylan Davies, who wrote a book about that night. But the account in his book — the basis of Logan’s story — differs from an FBI incident report.

“It was a mistake to include him in our report,” Logan said. “And for that we are very sorry.” Logan ended the broadcast with this: ”The most important thing to every person at ’60 minutes’ is the truth, and the truth is, we made a mistake.”

Last Sunday, even as criticism about the report mounted, “60 Minutes” was still taking pride in the report. Scott Pelley read these comments from viewers: “It’s about time! Your network has been a bit tepid in your reporting of the Libya terror attacks, but tonight’s report was amazing.” And: “Why no comments from former Secretary of State Clinton? Sounds like you have more work to do to get to the truth.”

Late Friday, CBS-owned Simon & Schuster pulled Davies’ book from publication.

<< PREVIOUS PAGENEXT PAGE >>