TVSpy LostRemote AgencySpy PRNewser FishbowlNY FishbowlDC SocialTimes AllFacebook 10,000 Words GalleyCat UnBeige MediaJobsDaily

Posts Tagged ‘Ron Allen’

Today’s Ferguson Coverage Plans

Networks remain on-scene in Ferguson today after a violent night produced tear gas, gunshots, and more clashes between police and protesters (and some violence toward journalists). As a grand jury might start hearing evidence in the Michael Brown case as soon as tomorrow,  here’s an update on who’s in Ferguson today and tonight.

Mediabistro Course

Social Media 101

Social Media 101Get hands-on social media training for beginners in our online boot camp, Social Media 101. Starting September 4, social media and marketing experts will help you determine the social media sites that matter most to you, based on your personal and professional goals. Hurry, this boot camp starts next week! Register now! 
 

Tonight’s Ferguson Coverage Plans

As the National Guard arrives in Ferguson, where the overnight curfew has been lifted, the broadcast and cable networks have set plans to continue coverage of the escalating violence there. Here’s an update on who will be in Ferguson tonight:

As we told you earlier, Shepard Smith will anchor the 11pmET hour on Fox News tonight. We’ll continue to update as plans are set.

Pres. Obama: ‘Police Should Not be Bullying or Arresting Journalists’

In a press conference from Martha’s Vineyard this afternoon, President Obama commented on the situation on Iraq and delivered his first public remarks on the escalation of violence in Ferguson, where an unarmed black teenager was fatally shot by police Saturday.

The President addressed the media’s role in Ferguson, which has which has been in the headlines today after two reporters were arrested and an Al Jazeera America crew was tear gassed last night. “Here in the United States of America, police should not be bullying or arresting journalists who are just trying to do their jobs and report to the American people on what they see on the ground,” Obama said.

NBC’s Lester Holt anchored a special report from New York with Kristen Welker on Martha’s Vineyard and Ron Allen reporting from Ferguson. Scott Pelley anchored a CBS special report, with Major Garrett reporting from Martha’s Vineyard. On ABC, David Muir anchored with Martha Raddatz in Washington, Jonathan Karl in Martha’s Vineyard and Steve Osunsami in Ferguson.

MSNBC, Fox News, CNN and Al Jazeera America all took the statement live.

‘NBC Nightly News’ Airs ‘Exclusive’ Video That Also Ran on ‘ABC World News’

KenyaVideo

After the terrorist attack on the mall in Nairobi, Kenya, photos and videos began streaming in documenting the aftermath. Give that every news organization on earth is scrambling for them, it isn’t surprising that there may be a few missteps along the way.

One particular video, which first aired on Kenyan state TV, showed a man leading a family that had been hiding in the mall to safety. On “NBC Nightly News” last night, Ron Allen billed it as an “NBC News Exclusive.”

The only problem: “ABC World News” ran the same video in its package about the mall attack at about the same time.

Watch both reports, after the jump.
Read more

For CNN Correspondent, Nairobi Attack Hits Close To Home

For CNN International correspondent Zain Verjee, the terrorist attack at a mall in Nairobi, Kenya hit very close to home. Literally. Verjee grew up not far from the mall, and still lives nearby, as she shared today.

“This is where we have coffee, this is where I meet my friends, this is where I socialize, this is where diplomats, expats everybody goes to shop,” Verjee said. “Every Saturday morning we go to buy groceries, as hundreds of people did that Saturday morning.”

WATCH:

Every network and cable channel has correspondents in Nairobi, following up on the latest from the hostile mall takeover by terrorists over the weekend. Among them: NBC’s Ron Allen, CBS’ Charlie D’Agata, ABC’s Linsey Davis and Kirit Radia and CNN’s Verjee, Nima Elbagir and Arwa Damon.

Explosions at Finish Line of the Boston Marathon

The cable news networks pivoted to breaking news in Massachusetts shortly after 3pmET Monday afternoon as two explosions went off at the finish line of the Boston Marathon.

Fox News was the first cable news network to report the news at 3:06:18 p.m., followed just seconds later by CNN at 3:06:53 p.m. MSNBC reported the news at 3:08:45 p.m. All three cable news networks were several minutes minutes behind the first reports of the explosions on Twitter.

Fox News and CNN are relying on live pictures from Boston local stations. MSNBC has video from New England Cable News, which is owned and operated by NBC Universal.

> More: The broadcast networks also broke in with news of the explosions. CBS News was first at 3:10pmET, followed by ABC News and NBC News at 3:13 p.m. Scott Pelley is anchoring on CBS, Brian Williams on NBC and Diane Sawyer and George Stephanopoulos on ABC.

> More: Matt Frucci, the incoming executive producer of CNN’s new morning show, is doing eyewitness reports from the scene for the network. Wolf Blitzer is anchoring. And on Fox News, Shepard Smith is talking with WGBH’s Emily Rooney, former network executive and daughter of Andy Rooney.

> More: Anderson Cooper is on his way to Boston and will anchor at 8pmET and 10pmET.

> More: Here’s affiliate video of one of the explosions, as seen on CNN:

Read more

George Zimmerman Sues NBC Over Edited 911 Tapes

The man accused of killing teenager Trayvon Marton is suing NBCUniversal and three former NBC staffers over the deceptively edited 911 calls that aired on “Today.” 

Lawyers representing George Zimmerman filed the paperwork in the circuit court in Seminole County, Florida. They also created a website, GZvNBC.com, which has all the pertinent documents. Rumors of the lawsuit were first circulated in October, but it is now official.

“NBC News saw the death of Trayvon Martin not as a tragedy but as an opportunity to increase ratings, and so set about to create the myth that George Zimmerman was a racist and predatory villain,” the complaint reads.

Earlier this year NBC had to apologize and launch an internal investigation after “Today” aired an edited version of the 911 call Zimmerman made to police. The edited version made it sound as though Zimmerman thought Martin was acting suspiciously because he was black, when in fact he was responding to a question from the dispatcher.

When it was all said and done, two NBC staffers lost their jobs as a result of the edit. The two staffers, along with correspondent Ron Allen are also defendants in the case.

The lawsuit is embedded after the jump.
Read more

Weekend Anchors Head to Battleground States

NBC’s Lester Holt and ABC’s David Muir are hitting the road and will anchor their newscasts from Florida tomorrow. Holt will anchor from The University of Tampa while Muir will be across the state on Boca Raton, site of Monday’s final presidential debate.

Holt will also anchor Weekend Today from Tampa, and he’ll be in two other battleground states over the next two Sundays: Virginia next week and Ohio on Nov. 2, two days before the election.

NBC’s Ron Allen, David Gregory, Chuck Todd and Andrea Mitchell will contribute reporting.

NY Post: George Zimmerman To Sue NBC News Over Misleading Edit

The man charged with shooting teenager Trayvon Martin earlier this year is planning to sue NBC News over a misleading edit on “Today,” according to the NY Post.

George Zimmerman‘s attorney’s plan to file charges soon, naming NBC News president Steve Capus and correspondent Ron Allen as defendants in addition to the organization as a whole.

The edit in question made national news, and seemed to suggest that Zimmerman was following Martin because he was black, when in fact a police dispatcher asked what race he was. NBC launched an internal investigation into the matter, and eventually fired a number of employees over the incident.

The Post adds:

A source tells us, “The suit will be filed imminently against NBC and its news executives. The network’s legal department has put everybody in the news department involved with this incident on notice, telling them not to comment.”

Another Misleading Edit Costs Another NBC News Employee Her Job

Lilia Luciano, a Miami-based NBC News correspondent, is no longer working for the network, TVNewser has learned.

Luciano last reported for NBC News March 31. Until that point, she had been reporting mainly on the Trayvon Martin story. Sources tell TVNewser Luciano’s dismissal came after an investigation which also led to the firing of a seasoned NBC News producer over a similar, misleading edit. In a story for the “Today” show on March 20, Luciano used part of the George Zimmerman 911 call in which an entire phrase (italicized below) was taken from a later part of the conversation:

Zimmerman: This guy looks like he’s up to no good or on drugs or something. He’s got his hand in his waistband. And he’s a black male.
Dispatcher: Are you following him?
Zimmerman: Yeah.
Dispatcher: Okay, we don’t need you to do that.

A week later, on March 27, another correspondent, Ron Allen used similar audio from that 911 call in his story, leaving out the dispatcher’s follow-up question.

Zimmerman: This guy looks like he’s up to no good. He looks black.

As we’ve reported, here’s how the conversation actually happened:

Zimmerman: This guy looks like he’s up to no good or he’s on drugs or something. It’s raining and he’s just walking around, looking about.
Dispatcher: OK, and this guy — is he white, black, or Hispanic?
Zimmerman: He looks black.

That edit resulted in the dismissal of the NBC News Miami producer. NBC News confirms with TVNewser that Luciano is no longer with the network. She joined NBC News from Univision just 18 months ago.

Luciano is the third NBC employee to have lost their job over this story. As TVSpy reported last week, WTVJ reporter Jeff Burnside was fired for a similar circumstance.

NEXT PAGE >>