In the wake of last week’s contentious exchange between ABC’s Jake Tapper and White House press secretary Robert Gibbs, The Daily Beast’s Rachel Sklar talks to Tapper about his role covering the White House.
“There’s a big lesson for all of us — not just reporters, but the nation — in the need for a vigilant press that questions the decisions our leaders make…I certainly don’t think that it’s the job of any journalist to make the presidency work,” he says.
Sklar quotes a “colleague on the D.C. political circuit” who says, “I think it’s safe to say that he’s calculated, meaning that if he’s being tough, it’s likely because he sat down one day to say, ‘I want to be this administration’s David Gregory.’”
• Earlier: mediabistro.com’s “So What Do You Do?” Q&A with Tapper.
- Bianna Golodryga Leaving 'GMA' for Yahoo!; Paula Faris Promoted to Co-Anchor
- Rob Marciano's 'Passion for Weather' Leads to ABC News
- Rob Marciano Leaving 'Entertainment Tonight' for ABC News
- Amy Robach on Interviewing Malala, Parents of Kidnapped Girls: 'Not a Dry Eye in the Room'