In the wake of last week’s contentious exchange between ABC’s Jake Tapper and White House press secretary Robert Gibbs, The Daily Beast’s Rachel Sklar talks to Tapper about his role covering the White House.
“There’s a big lesson for all of us — not just reporters, but the nation — in the need for a vigilant press that questions the decisions our leaders make…I certainly don’t think that it’s the job of any journalist to make the presidency work,” he says.
Sklar quotes a “colleague on the D.C. political circuit” who says, “I think it’s safe to say that he’s calculated, meaning that if he’s being tough, it’s likely because he sat down one day to say, ‘I want to be this administration’s David Gregory.’”
• Earlier: mediabistro.com’s “So What Do You Do?” Q&A with Tapper.
- Diane Sawyer Signs Off 'World News:' 'I'll See You Right Back Here on ABC News, Very Soon'
- In 'The News Sorority,' Couric is 'Brash,' Sawyer 'Machiavellian,' Amanpour's 'Moral Superiority'
- Where Are They Now? Ken Kashiwahara
- Meredith Vieira on 'GMA' to Promote New Show