Politico’s Mike Allen reports that ABC News veteran Ted Koppel is in negotiations to return to the network as the anchor of “This Week,” a position that will soon be vacated by George Stephanopoulos. Hotline On Call also reported that Koppel is a top candidate.
But ABC says it’s still in the middle of the anchor-finding process and has not made any offers. ABC’s David Westin also says that some details floating around, such as the fact that Koppel would anchor three weekends a month under a $1 million-a-year contract, are incorrect:
ABC News President David Westin said in an e-mail: “We are in the middle of the process, and I will not comment on the specifics of whom we are and whom we are not talking to. I’m considering a number of alternatives. I will pull back the veil to the limited degree of telling you — for the benefit of your readers — that just about every specific that you have is false.”
Koppel told TVNewser’s Gail Shister in mid-December that he had not been approached by the network yet and said, “If ABC is interested, they know how to find me.”
> Previously: Sunday Show Tryouts?
> More from FishbowlDC: ABC on Politico’s Koppel Story: “Totally Off-Base”
- 'No Question Off Limits': ABC's George Stephanopoulos Interviews Darren Wilson
- Report: George Stephanopoulos 'Poised' to Land First Interview with Ferguson Officer
- In Profile: Muir, Franics, Ramos, Benitez
- Networks Will Cover Chuck Hagel Resignation