TVNewser LostRemote AgencySpy PRNewser FishbowlNY FishbowlDC SocialTimes AllTwitter AllFacebook InsideFacebook InsideSocialGames InsideMobileApps

Lawsuits

McDonald’s Mom Who Left Child in Park Has Personal Info Leaked by WJBF

Picture 4

According to a post on The Root, Debra Harrell, the South Carolina woman who was arrested after she left her daughter unattended at a park, has had her interrogation video and personal information posted by Augusta, Georgia ABC affiliate WJBF.

The station reportedly posted an unedited video of a police interview with Harrell, in which her personal information was revealed, including her address, phone number, and Social Security number:

The original posting of the video was an unedited version that included Harrell’s personal information, Jezebel reports. The video has since been redacted, but Harrell’s information was public for at least an hour.

Harrell’s attorney tells iMediaEthics they intend to sue the station: Read more

Mediabistro Course

Social Media 101

Social Media 101Get hands-on social media training for beginners in our online boot camp, Social Media 101. Starting September 4, social media and marketing experts will help you determine the social media sites that matter most to you, based on your personal and professional goals. Register now! 
 

Woman Sues KHOU After Report Claims She Locked Her Kids in Hot Car

khou kids car reportA Texas mother is suing Houston CBS affiliate KHOU after a report that falsely accused her of leaving her children in a hot car while she went to get a hair cut, the Houston Chronicle reports.

KHOU reported on the incident July 15 based on a witness who said shoppers “took matters into their own hands,” smashing the car window with a hammer while their mother, Araceli Cisneros, was inside the mall. In reality, Cisneros had actually accidentally locked the children — and her car keys — in the car, and had asked for help in smashing the windows to get them.

After the story went viral, Cisneros filed a suit claiming more than $200,000 in damages, the Chronicle reports:

The suit says KHOU and reporter Rucks Russell published the story with a “reckless disregard for its truth or falsity” and without doing the “most basic fact checking.” According to the suit, nationally syndicated TV personality Nancy Grace even picked it up, calling Cisneros an unfit mother. Read more

Former Macon Anchor Files Whistleblower Lawsuit Against Georgia National Guard

wmaz whistleblowerA former news news anchor for Macon CBS station WMAZ claims she was fired from her job with the Georgia National Guard after raising questions about ethics, according to a lawsuit filed July 24th. Mary Therese Grabowski, who was a WMAZ anchor for eight years, says within months of joining the Georgia Guard as a civilian public affairs officer, she began raising questions about improper and potentially unethical decisions made by Adjutant General Jim Butterworth:

“…questions like why Butterworth used Guard resources to organize a fundraiser for a private medical center.

Grabowski also claims she also questioned why Butterworth was attending an air show in Paris at a time when military furloughs and cuts were expected. She says she was told Butterworth would be a guest of the governor’s office, but later discovered he had stayed days after the governor left Paris.

Additionally, Grabowski claims she was asked by Butterworth’s wife to promote an event for country music singer Kaley Caperton, a personal friend of the Butterworths.”

Watch WMAZ’s report after the jump. Read more

Attorney Wants $5 Million from WAVY in Defamation Case

wavy logoThe Virginian-Pilot reports a local attorney is suing WAVY for $5 million.

The attorney, Sterling Weaver, is representing himself in the defamation case against the Portsmouth, VA, NBC affiliate. Weaver claims the station “maligned him” while reporting about his arrest on an assault charge.

In a Feb. 6 newscast, WAVY reported that Weaver had been indicted on felony assault and misdemeanor sexual battery charges for an alleged incident involving a female deputy in a Portsmouth courtroom.

The deputy accused Weaver of inappropriately touching her.

During that report, WAVY also said it “did some digging into Weaver’s past” and discovered that he had been convicted of assault and sentenced to 30 days in jail for grabbing a prosecutor by the throat in 2006, according to the lawsuit.

The station, however, failed to report that Weaver appealed that case to a Circuit Court judge who dismissed it after Weaver remained on good behavior for a year, the suit says. He did not serve jail time in that case. Read more

Sinclair Reportedly Clears Last Hurdle Before Closing Deal for Allbritton

sinclair_304The Wall Street Journal reports Sinclair Broadcast Group is moving closer to sealing its deal for Allbritton Communications by settling a lawsuit brought by the Department of Justice and the Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General.

The DOJ thought Sinclair’s purchase of ABC affiliate WHTM in a market where it already owns CBS affiliate WHP and CW affiliate WLYH would affect the cost of advertising in the market.

Last month Sinclair agreed to sell the station to Media General when the Allbritton deal is finalized.

“The rivalry between the stations has helped to constrain advertising rates, and without the divestiture, advertisers on stations in this area would likely have paid higher prices,” said Bill Baer, assistant attorney general in charge of the Justice Department’s Antitrust Division.

The settlement comes less than two weeks before a one-year clock will run out for Sinclair to get regulatory approval for its Allbritton deal. If approval isn’t reached in time, Sinclair has said the deal may not close.

The settlement will “pave the way in fact for a DOJ approval,” wrote Evercore analyst Doug Arthur. “Next stop: the FCC,” referring to the Federal Communications Commission. Read more

Aereo CEO: ‘We Have Decided to Pause Our Operations Temporarily’

aereoIn a letter to subscribers sent Saturday, Aereo CEO Chet Kanojia said the streaming TV service is taking a “pause” as they “consult with the court and map out our next steps” in the wake of last week’s Supreme Court loss:

On Wednesday, the United States Supreme Court reversed a lower court decision in favor of Aereo, dealing a massive setback to consumers.

As a result of that decision, our case has been returned to the lower Court. We have decided to pause our operations temporarily as we consult with the court and map out our next steps. You will be able to access your cloud-based antenna and DVR only until 11:30 a.m. ET today.

All of our users will be refunded their last paid month. If you have questions about your account, please email support@aereo.com or tweet us @AereoSupport.

Read the full letter after the jump. Read more

Supreme Court Sides With Broadcasters in Aereo Case

aereoThe Supreme Court has ruled in favor of the broadcasters in ABC vs. Aereo. In the 6-3 opinion delivered by Justice Breyer, the High Court “goes out out of its way to make clear that its ruling does not endanger other technologies,” according to SCOTUSBlog.

The decision is the end of a long road for the lawsuit, which began when Aereo launched in 2012. Acting on behalf of the local stations in New York City, Aereo’s first market, broadcasters filed the initial suit less than two weeks after the streaming television service was announced. Four months later, a federal judge ruled in Aereo’s favor. In early 2013, a federal appeals court upheld the lower court’s ruling. In October 2013, the broadcasters petitioned the Supreme Court to hear the case.

The High Court heard oral arguments in the case in April. At the time, justices seemed conflicted over the broader implications the ruling could have over the cloud computing industry. During the arguments, the Supreme Court heard from both sides as well as the Deputy Solicitor General, who argued against Aereo on behalf of the government.

As for what’s next for Aereo: both Aereo CEO Chet Kanojia and investor Barry Diller have said that the streaming service would be shut down in the event of a Supreme Court loss. “The mission of this company was to try to create an open platform, to try to wedge the system open a little bit. And if we don’t succeed in that, despite our best efforts and good law on our side and merits of our case, it would be a tragedy, but it is what it is,” Kanojia told Bloomberg TV in April.

Freelance Photojournalist Settles Suit Against Suffolk County

A freelance photojournalist has settled his civil rights lawsuit against Suffolk County Police Department.

Phil Datz, a freelance photojournalist, was arrested after being told by an officer to stop shooting the arrest of a suspect. Datz was shooting the arrest from a public sidewalk at the time. Watch Datz’s video of his arrest above.

“This settlement is a victory for the First Amendment and for the public good,” Datz said in a statement “When police arrest journalists just for doing their job, it creates a chilling effect that jeopardizes everyone’s ability to stay informed about important news in their community.”

According to the NPPA, Suffolk County will pay Datz $200,000, “implement a new training program [including a training video], and create a Police-Media Relations Committee.” Read more

Tom Martino Settles Lawsuit with KDVR

martinotomweb2-304xx391-586-42-0Tom Martino has settled his lawsuit with Denver FOX affiliate KDVR, The Denver Post reports.

Martino’s lawsuit alleged KDVR didn’t renew his contract after it learned he was filing for bankruptcy.

Martino had been the station’s consumer-advocate reporter since 2000. In 2009, the station started a new bit, “Martino TV,” which featured paid segments from advertisers and shared the proceeds with Martino.

The long-time radio host of the Troubleshooter show, Martino says he blogged in July 2011 that he was likely going to file for bankruptcy protection, the result of a collapsed real estate market that caught up with a number of his investments.

A month later, station managers said his contract would not be renewed, allegedly because the native of upstate New York had “too strong” of a personality. Read more

Man Sues Second Minneapolis Station for Defamation

kstp5logoA Minnesota man has filed a defamation suit against KSTP for wrongly identifying him as a cop killer.

Ryan Larson is suing the Minneapolis ABC affiliate for a story that aired in November saying he had been charged with the  murder of Cold Spring police officer Thomas Decker. Larson had been arrested for the murder, but was later released. Larson sued WCCO earlier this month for the same reason.

“The police arrested and jailed a man and charged him, and we reported that,” KSTP attorney Joseph Roby told the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

According to the suit filed last week: The station broadcast a color picture of Larson’s mug shot several times during the 5 p.m. newscast that also featured an emotional interview with Decker’s mother. KSTP reporters Joe Mazan and Todd Wilson said Larson was charged in the crime when he was being held and investigated.

The phrases, “Officer Killed,” “Murder Suspect” and “Officer Ambushed,” used in TV graphics connected Larson to the killing, his suit said.

“The innuendo of an ambush murder by plaintiff Larson broadcast by defendant KSTP was false and unsupported by evidence connecting plaintiff Larson and was intended to sensationalize the broadcast and was defamatory,” the suit said.

“He’s still feeling the effects of it,” Stephen Fiebiger, Larson’s attorney said. “I think he’s looking certainly for some compensation, and to try to restore his name as best as possible.”

You can read the entire story by clicking here.

NEXT PAGE >>