Veteran KHOU reporter Brad Woodard was caught smoking a cigarette on-air last Friday as the station’s 6 p.m. newscast cut to his live shot earlier than he was expecting. Making matters worse was the fact that he was smoking while standing near the scene of an oil tank fire.
“Due to a technical glitch, I was observed on camera smoking and extinguishing a cigarette, something I find both professionally and personally embarrassing,” Woodard wrote on KHOU’s Facebook page. “I sincerely apologize to those of you who were offended.”
Full message inside…
From KHOU 11 News Reporter Brad Woodard:
Some of you have raised concerns about my live report from Chambers County on Friday, June 24th. Due to a technical glitch, I was observed on camera smoking and extinguishing a cigarette, something I find both professionally and personally embarrassing. I was reporting from the scene of… a fire at an abandoned “tank farm” formerly used to store petroleum products. The fire was well under control at the time of my report, and I was standing on concrete when I discarded my cigarette. I also made sure it was extinguished following my brief report.
Apparently, some of you are under the impression I was reporting from the scene of a wild fire. That was not the case. My bad habit aside, I’m very cognizant of the extreme drought conditions facing this state. I report on those conditions daily and care very deeply about those affected. That said, I sincerely apologize to those of you who were offended. We appreciate…I appreciate…your viewership and your concerns.
In his apology, Woodard blames a “technical glitch.” Here’s the video, judge for yourself: