Ah, rowdy sports fans. Tuesday night, KMBC sports director Johnny Kane was covering the ALCS for the Kansas City ABC affiliate when a clearly excited Royals fan rushed right into the liveshot. “Oh my goodness,” said Kane. “That was a good one! That was a good one! That knocked me out of my shoes.”
Cameras have been banned from courtrooms in the Mecklenburg County Courthouse after news photogs from Charlotte TV stations violated courtroom camera protocol for the second time in five months.
In May, Superior Court Judge Richard Boner met with the news directors of the Charlotte TV stations to go over courtroom rules after a TV news photog tweeted out a cellphone photo during a trial.
The Charlotte Observer reports, the latest incident happened when the City Attorney was recorded in a hallway after leaving a hearing.
Charles Keller Jr., community access administrator for the courthouse, notified Charlotte media outlets Tuesday that any requests for photography inside the courthouse will be summarily denied until further notice because of a violation Friday, when news cameras from five TV stations and the Observer filmed in the hallway.
City Attorney Bob Hagemann was filmed when he walked out of Judge Robert Ervin’s courtroom after a hearing about the regional airport commission. A group of reporters and photographers were gathered in the hallway and asked for an interview, Hagemann said.
“I didn’t give it a thought,” he said. “I wasn’t aware of the rule.”
But since 1992, the judicial district has banned photography in hallways and other public spaces in the courthouse unless permission is specifically given. In May, an NBC Charlotte journalist shot a cellphone picture and Tweeted it to followers outside the courtroom where Carolina Panther Greg Hardy had just appeared on a domestic-abuse charge. Read more
On Sunday at 7:46 p.m., tucsonnewsnow.com (home to both CBS affiliate KOLD and FOX affiliate KMSB) posted a story which claimed that notorious Scottsdale family-killer Robert Fisher had been captured.
The story turned out to be incorrect. According to the Phoenix New Times, the article appeared to confuse the facts and went off a false tip which claimed that Fisher (who killed his wife and two children in 2001) was seen at a Colorado home. The tip led to the arrest of two different men over the weekend.
The inaccurate KOLD article stated that Fisher “is now behind bars.” It even claimed that investigators confirmed the arrest. In reality, Fisher was never at the home, much less arrested, and authorities never said that he was.
Writer Colton Shone‘s byline appears above the error-filled article, but KOLD news director Michelle Germano told The Phoenix New Times that he only posted the article online and didn’t write it. She declined to name the author.
Germano told the Times‘ Ray Stern that she didn’t want to get into how the error happened. But she assured him “there have been consequences.” Germano added that the reporter should have corrected the facts instead of removing the article entirely from the website.
“All those involved have been talked with,” Germano told Stern. “We take these matters very seriously.”
The story was on the website for about 10 minutes before it was taken down. The false info was never broadcast on-air.
A crew from Indianapolis Fox affiliate WXIN was held at gunpoint and carjacked Tuesday night while covering a prayer vigil for victims of a recent shooting. “A gunman approached a FOX59 crew and carjacked our vehicle,” the station reported via Twitter. “We’re happy to report everyone is safe and we’re working with Indianapolis Metropolitan Police.”
The Indianapolis Star reports the WXIN news vehicle was later recovered a few blocks away:
As the crew was getting ready to film a live shot in the 3700 block of Emerson Avenue, a male, armed with a black semi-automatic pistol and wearing dark clothing, approached the marked Fox59 SUV and told the crew to get out, said Diaz.
Police said a Fox59 camera man attempted to offer the man money, but he refused, and demanded that the crew get out of the vehicle. The suspect, who police said is possibly in his early twenties, then fled the scene in the SUV, taking the crew’s equipment with him.
The vehicle was found about 20 minutes later near 39th Street and Irvington Avenue, a few blocks away on the Northeastside, said Diaz. None of the camera equipment was stolen, and only a few personal items had gone missing.
On Facebook, Lombard confirmed she’ll be an anchor at WKRN. “It is an amazing opportunity–I wouldn’t leave for anything less.”
Lombard joined WALA as a reporter in 2008, and became host of the station’s Studio 10 in 2010. Lombard also got a little YouTube love when her stomach growled loudly on air.
Lombard’s last day at WALA is Friday.
Anchor/reporter John Borsa is no longer working at E.W. Scripps owned WKBW. According to The Buffalo News, Borsa’s name and picture were removed from the station’s website Monday and general manager Mike Nurse has confirmed his departure.
Borsa had worked at the ABC affiliate for more than 11 years. Nurse provided no further comment on the matter, although it is believed Borsa’s contract was about to expire and the station declined to renew it.
The Buffalo News also claims that WKBW will soon announce a change in its weekend plans, with Ed Drantch and Katie Morse anchoring on Sundays. Kendra Eaglin (Borsa’s former co-anchor) will remain the Saturday anchor.
Media blogger Mike McGuff reports that the threesome from the Houston NBC affiliate were part of a segment called “I’ve Got Good News and Good News,” where Jimmy Fallon has anchors from across the country (NBC affiliates only) give their viewers happy news for once.
Watch as these cheerful anchors discuss why you’re the coolest person in the world, why traffic jams are no longer possible where you live, and why there’s a forecast of 100% puppy hugs.
Stacie Schaible was never hired for her dancing, but Monday, the anchor did her best as a computer failure crashed most of the five p.m. newscast at Tampa NBC affiliate WFLA. “Watch @WFLA if you want to see us tap dance through the news,” she tweeted during the technical mess, which the station hashtagged as #equipmentmeltdown. “We are having tech difficulties but plowing through.”
WFLA news director Bill Berra tells TVSpy a computer board failed, leaving producers with no audio, and anchors without IFB. How much fun does that sound like? Berra says it took engineers a while to root out the cause of the failure, and that left Schaible doing her best. “Stacie did a very good tap dance under the circumstances.”
After more than a decade anchoring evening newscasts at Winston-Salem NBC affiliate WXII, the station announced today Wanda Starke will scale back her duties, focusing exclusively on the 6 p.m. newscast:
Beginning in January 2015, Starke will co-anchor WXII 12′s 6 p.m. newscast with Cameron Kent while also producing a series of prime-time specials about issues important to the Piedmont-Triad. A new anchor, yet to be named, will assume Starke’s former duties at 5, 10 and 11 p.m. Cameron Kent will remain on all evening newscasts.
“After 37 years as a working journalist in a fast-paced industry, I am ready to shift into another gear,” Starke said. “I am first and foremost a storyteller. This move will allow me time to devote to other projects I’m eager to begin.”
News anchors are used to going head-to-head, but usually they’re after viewers, not voters. In Rochester, a state Senate district race has become “a battle of the news anchors,” with former WHEC anchor Rich Funke, a Republican, running against incumbent Sen. Ted O’Brien.
O’Brien, meanwhile, has released a campaign video featuring another longtime local anchor, in a race that’s pitting newser against newser, as the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle explains:
Longtime R News (now Time Warner Cable News) anchor Diana Palotas appears in a new, minute-long video released Monday by O’Brien’s campaign, touting the Democrat’s work in clearing up a neighborhood dispute over trash dumping while criticizing Funke’s views on abortion.
Palotas was a reporter and anchor for R News from when it launched in 1990 until she left in 2009.
“Like Ted O’Brien’s opponent, Rich Funke, I was a television news anchor for many decades,” Palotas says in the video. “When it comes to getting real results, Ted O’Brien is the only state senate candidate who will stand up for our families. We turned to Ted when the owner of a house in our neighborhood thought he could dump garbage from his other properties right next to our homes. Ted took action immediately and the junk was gone within days.”
Funke, meanwhile, rolled out a video late last month from another former Rochester television reporter: Robin DeWind, his former colleague at WHEC.