Shortly after 11amET/8amPT, Benedict XVI departed the Vatican for the last time as Pope. Local stations in the top five markets broadcast special coverage of his departure and flight to Castel Gandolfo, the Vatican’s vacation retreat.
ABC, NBC and CBS affiliates in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia and Dallas broadcast national coverage from their affiliated networks of the Pope’s final farewell.
Fox News Channel’s Rick Folbaum anchored a special report that was broadcast on the Fox O&Os. KTTV in Los Angeles incorporated coverage of the farewell address into the morning newscast, anchored by Steve Edwards, instead of taking the national report.
- Related, TVNewser: Covering a Once-in-a-600-Year Story
Without national coverage to broadcast, CW affiliates produced their own special reports. Sukanya Krishnan and Frances Rivera anchored on WPIX in New York City, Frank Buckley and Michaela Pereira anchored on KTLA in Los Angeles, and Steve Sanders and Dina Bair anchored on WGN in Chicago.
- WMAR ND 'Screamed For Everyone in the Newsroom to Get Out' After Truck Rammed Lobby
- New Hampshire Home Explodes Live on WCVB
- Seattle Stations Cover May Day Protests
- Pittsburgh Stations Cover School Stabbing Spree