TVNewser LostRemote AgencySpy PRNewser FishbowlNY FishbowlDC SocialTimes AllTwitter AllFacebook InsideFacebook InsideSocialGames InsideMobileApps

Posts Tagged ‘DirecTV’

News-Press & Gazette Stations Back on DirecTV

keyt_directv_304The nearly month long blackout between News-Press & Gazette and DirecTV is over.

The two companies reached an agreement over retransmission fees this afternoon. Details of the agreement were not disclosed.

While the financial deal seems to be settled, there seems to be some lingering bad feelings between the two companies. In a statement sent to TVSpy, DirecTV said, “News-Press & Gazette has returned its 13 local television stations to DIRECTV customers homes after unnecessarily suspending them for more than two weeks beginning Oct. 9. While we are pleased NPG has restored the stations, we’re equally as frustrated that they took them away in the first place.”

The statement goes on to say, “This is just another unfortunate example of broadcasters violating the public trust in an attempt to extract higher fees from our customers. Given the fact that there has been a record high of 110 broadcaster blackouts in only the first ten months of this year (with more likely to come by year’s end), we continue to ask Congress to intervene and fix this badly broken system that has enabled some stations to use viewers’ loyalty against them rather than reward them for it.”

TVSpy has not been able to contact News-Press & Gazette for comment.

Mediabistro Course

Screenwriting

ScreenwritingStarting August 27, work with an award-winning comedy writer, director and producer to complete a first draft of your screenplay! In this course, Jonathan Kesselman will teach you the three-act structure of writing, how to format and structure your screenplay, what to do when your screenplay is finished and more. Register now! 
 

News-Press & Gazette Lifts DirecTV Blackout for First Game of World Series

keyt_directv_304Viewers who watch News Press & Gazette stations on DirecTV got to watch the first game of the World Series from home last night after a temporary truce was called between the station group and the satellite provider.

In a statement obtained by TVSpy, DirecTV said, “While we make progress toward a new agreement, we are pleased to have tonight obtained News-Press & Gazette’s permission to temporarily return its five FOX channels to DIRECTV so customers in those affected communities can watch the opening game of the World Series. Both NPG and DIRECTV are optimistic about completing a new agreement to return all channels in their entirety very soon.”

NP&G blacked out its DirecTV signal after the previous carriage agreement between the two expired September 30.

News Press & Gazette owns five FOX stations, including KNPN in St. Joseph, MO, and KQFX in Columbia, MO.

Gannett, DirecTV Reach Retransmission Agreement

Gannett and DirecTV have reached a new retransmission agreement, keeping Gannett’s stations on the air for DirecTV subscribers.

The two parties faced a November 30 deadline to renegotiate their carriage contract. Gannett began warning viewers of a possible service interruption on its 23 stations last week.

Financial terms of the deal, which was agreed on in the early hours of Saturday morning, were not disclosed.

Gannett Warns Viewers of Possible DirecTV Blackout

Gannett Broadcasting and DirecTV are continuing negotiations toward a new retransmission deal ahead of the November 30 deadline.

Gannett said in a statement that the company will continue to work with DirecTV “right up to the deadline.” The station began running crawls and PSAs on its 23 stations informing viewers of a possible blackout.

“Over the past weeks, we have been in intense negotiations with DirecTV to reach a fair, market-based deal,” the statement reads. “Gannett has never had service disruption with a major carrier. However, with the Nov. 30 deadline approaching, we have a responsibility to inform our viewers of the possibility of a signal disruption, which is why we have begun running crawls and PSAs on our stations.”

DirecTV also issued a statement, noting the company hopes “Gannett will not resort to any unnecessary blackout.” Read more

Tribune Broadcasting, DirecTV Reach Five-Year Deal

Tribune Broadcasting and DirecTV announced they have reached a new carriage agreement, ending a four-day blackout of Tribune’s stations for DirecTV subscribers.

Service was restored for Tribune’s 19 stations on DirecTV late last night. Terms of the five-year deal were not disclosed.

“On behalf of Tribune Broadcasting, I want to thank viewers across all of our markets for their support, understanding and patience during the negotiating process—we truly regret the service interruptions of the last several days,” Tribune president Nils Larsen said in a statement.

Tribune Broadcasting Stations Go Dark on DirecTV

Tribune Broadcasting stations have gone dark for DirecTV subscribers after the two parties failed to come to a carriage agreement over the weekend.

“This situation is extremely unfortunate,” Tribune president Nils Larsen said in a statement. “We don’t want anyone to lose the valuable programming we provide, but we simply cannot get fair compensation from DirecTV and we cannot allow DirecTV to continue taking advantage of us.”

DirecTV called Tribune’s actions “the true definition of ‘bad faith,’” saying it had a handshake deal with Tribune on Thursday. The company linked Tribune’s actions to its ongoing financial troubles. Read more

Tribune, DirecTV Face Saturday Deadline in Retrans Battle

Tribune Broadcasting is threatening to pull the signals of its 23 stations from DirecTV if the two companies cannot come to a carriage agreement by midnight on Saturday.

“Despite our best efforts, DirecTV is refusing to offer a fair deal and we remain far apart in negotiations,” Tribune president Nils Larson said in a statement. “As a result of DirecTV’s inflexibility, there’s a strong likelihood that service interruptions will occur.”

“We anticipate that Tribune will honor its 165-year history of serving the public interest and allow the stations to remain on as we continue to negotiate,” DirecTV said in a statement. “…We have absolutely no intention of denying anyone access to these stations, unless Tribune specifically demands it.” Read more

Sunbeam Ends DirecTV Blackout, Saves Super Bowl

Sunbeam Television, which owns WSVN in Miami and WHDH in Boston, reached a new retrans agreement with DirecTV on Thursday.

The deal ends a weeks-long blackout and guarantees that DirecTV subscribers in Boston will be able to watch the Patriots play in the Super Bowl.

“We are pleased that we reached an agreement with DirecTV, and we appreciate our viewers’ patience during this tough negotiation,” WHDH general manager Chris Wayland said in a statement.

WSVN and WHDH, as well as Boston CW-affiliate WLVI, were pulled off the satellite TV service when the previous carriage agreement between the companies expired on January 13th. Read more

John Kerry Urges Sunbeam, DirecTV to Prevent Super Bowl Blackout: ‘A Pox Upon Both Their Houses’

Massachusetts Senator John Kerry wrote a strongly worded letter to the presidents of Sunbeam Television and DirecTV this week, urging them to carry the Super Bowl in spite of the current stalemate in their retrans negotiations, which has led to a blackout of Boston NBC-affiliate WHDH.

“To alleviate the anxieties of so many Patriots fans, I strongly urge you both to issue a public statement that your current retransmission consent dispute will not include blacking out the Super Bowl,” Kerry wrote to Edmund Ansin of Sunbeam and Michael D. White of DirecTV.  “I am not taking sides on which of you is correct in your dispute.  But I am siding with the families and small business owners who count on the television programming they pay to receive to be there when they most need it.” Read more

Super Bowl Blackout Possible in New England

As the New England Patriots prepare for the Super Bowl, DirecTV subscribers in Boston are fretting over a potential blackout of the game.

Sunbeam Television, which owns Boston NBC-affiliate WHDH, is currently locked in a retrans battle with DirecTV and has pulled its stations from the popular satellite service until a new agreement is reached.  Now the stakes have been significantly raised for the negotiations with the Super Bowl less than two weeks away.

The stakes are now so high that Massachusetts Senator Scott Brown sent a letter to both Sunbeam and DirecTV last week, urging them to come to an agreement before the Super Bowl, according to The Boston Globe. Read more

NEXT PAGE >>