“Nannette Hobson and Bob Keating have both left NECN,” a spokesperson for the NBC Universal owned cable network told TVSpy. “We are grateful for their contributions to the station and wish them all the best in their future endeavors.”
Posts Tagged ‘NECN’
Legendary Boston anchor Chet Curtis died Wednesday from pancreatic cancer. He was 74.
Curtis spent the majority of his career at ABC affiliate WCVB, anchoring the evening newscast alongside his then-wife, Natalie Jacobson (pictured, right). He worked at the station from the time they launched until 1972 until he and Jacobson divorced in 1999. When their first daughter was born, the pair, known as “Chet and Nat,” received 5,000 cards from viewers and the birth was the lead story on the 6 p.m. newscast, according to WCVB.
“Chet Curtis was much more than an extraordinary journalist. He was a generous mentor and sincere friend to so many here at WCVB,” WCVB general manager Bill Fine said in a statement.
In 2001, Curtis joined New England Cable News, where he anchored “The Chet Curtis Report” and anchored political programming. Read more
Time Warner Cable subscribers in Maine, parts of New Hampshire and the Berkshires can continue to watch New England Cable News after the cable company changed plans to drop the regional cable channel.
According to NECN, viewers, along with several politicians including Massachusetts Senators Ed Markey (D) and Elizabeth Warren (D) along with Maine Senators Susan Collins (R) and Angus King (I) protested the move.
“We appreciate that the residents of Maine and New England view NECN as a critical service,” Mike St. Peter, NECN senior vice president and general manager said in a statement. “We are thrilled Time Warner heard their customers’ voices and will continue to carry NECN.”
Time Warner said in a statement, “NECN has now agreed to work with our leadership at Time Warner Cable News to improve the quality of their local programming for our customers.” Read more
Mike St. Peter is the new senior vice president and general manager of New England Cable News, NBCUniversal’s 24-hour cable network in Newton, Mass.
It is a move within NBC for St. Peter, who has been the vice president of news at WVIT, the NBC owned station in Hartford, since 2006.
“Mike is a great leader. He has developed a strong news organization in Hartford and has considerably strengthened the competitive position of WVIT in the past 2 years,” Valari Staab, president of NBC Owned Television Stations, said in a statement.
St. Peter replaces Stacey Bronner, who left NECN two months ago.
The fifth day of jury deliberations in the racketeering and conspiracy trial of Boston gangster James Whitey Bulger brought a guilty verdict on 33 counts which included 11 murders. Bulger was one of America’s most wanted fugitives after disappearing in 1995 until being caught in California in 2011.
Boston station’s responded quickly to the news a verdict had been reached.
ABC affiliate WCVB broke into afternoon food show “The Chew” at 1:34 p.m. with Susan Wornick. “Good afternoon,” said Wornick. “Susan Wornick in Newscenter 5 with the news we have been waiting for now for five days, actually for more than a month. There is a verdict in the trial of James Whitey Bulger.”
Boston NBC affiliate WHDH broke into soap opera “Days of Our Lives” at 1:35 with b-roll of Bulger being escorted to the courthouse by helicopter which was voiced over by Kayna Whitworth. Whitworth then tossed to Ryan Schulteis live at the courthouse.
Ratings for Boston stations were through the roof Friday night as all stations had wall-to-wall coverage of the manhunt for Boston marathon bombing suspect in Watertown. During the 8pm hour, when Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was taken into custody, 68% of Boston households were watching the four local network affiliates as well as local cable outlet NECN. Hearst-owned WCVB drew the most viewership.
From 7-9p.m., the Boston stations drew a combined 1.764 million viewers in a city that has 2.36 million TV households.
An additional 11% of Boston households were tuned in to coverage on CNN, Fox News and MSNBC from 7-9pm. TVNewser has the breakdown of the cable news ratings in Boston by network.
Here’s the ratings breakdown by station:
- WCVB (ABC): 10.4 rating / 23 share with 609,000 total viewers (10.5 / 22 with 259,000 A25-54)
- WBZ (CBS): 7.3 / 16 with 427,000 total viewers (7.1 / 15 with 175,000 A25-54)
- WHDH (NBC): 6.7 / 15 with 392,000 total viewers (9.1 / 19 with 226,000 A25-54)
- WFXT (Fox): 5.0 / 11 with 292,000 total viewers (6.9 / 15 with 171,000 A25-54)
- NECN: 0.8 / 2 with 44,000 total viewers (0.7 / 2 with 18,000 A25-54)
- WCVB: 11.0 / 23 with 645,000 total viewers (11.7 / 23 with 289,000 A25-54)
- WBZ: 7.6 / 16 with 447,000 total viewers (7.6 / 15 with 187,000 A25-54)
- WHDH: 7.1 / 15 with 417,000 total viewers (9.8 / 19 with 243,000 A25-54)
- WFXT: 5.9 / 12 with 345,000 total viewers (8.4 / 16 with 207,00o A25-54)
- NECN: 0.8 / 2 with 46,000 total viewers (0.7 / 1 with 17,000 A25-54)
>More: For reference, an alert TVSpy commenter points out that 2012 Super Bowl between the New England Patriots and the New York Giants was watched by 56.7% of Boston households.
Hummel will replace Hoyt Harris, who will still anchor the 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. newscast. Harris will continue to produce his 10 p.m. segment, “The Rant”.
KATC president and general manager, Andrew Shenkan told the Independent Weekly in a statement, “With Hoyt’s experience in tackling the controversial issues of the day, Marcy’s knowledge of this community and its needs, and Jim’s fearless, relentless approach to getting the story first — and getting it right — you won’t find a better local news anchor team anywhere in the country.”
Hummel was named weekend anchor for KATC two years ago, joining the station as a general assignment reporter in 2009. He previously worked for NECN in Newton, MA.
NECN, New England’s regional cable network, has launched the Boston market’s only 9 p.m. newscast.
“The opportunity to provide the region’s only 9 p.m. newscast fits perfectly with our strategy as we were the first to launch a 4:30 a.m. newscast,” Bill Bridgen, the network’s executive vice president and general manager, said in a statement. “We believe that the viewer who watches early morning news is the viewer who wants and needs an early primetime newscast.”
Boston’s WSBK used to have a 9 p.m. newscast, but the station shifted it to 10 p.m. this fall when it became a MyNetworkTV affiliate.
The move marks a return to Chicago for Juarez, who was vice president of news at WFLD for 12 years beginning in 1993. After leaving the Fox O&O in 2005, she founded a production company that handled commercials, videos and documentaries for both English and Spanish media. She joined NECN in 2010.
WMAQ has been searching for an assistant news director since June, when Shannon Hammel decided weeks after being hired she would stay at KXAS. TimeOut Chicago’s Robert Feder reported that although Juarez will fill the empty spot, her title will be news director in deference to her experience. The last person to hold the news director title at WMAQ was Camille Edwards, who left the station in 2008. Read more
WLNE has made its biggest on-air talent move since being bought by Citadel Communications earlier this year. The Providence ABC-affiliate announced this week that Karen Meyers (right) would anchor the station’s 5, 6, and 11 p.m. newscasts, replacing Allison Alexander, whose contract was not renewed.
Alexander had been with WLNE since 2007 and, according to NewsBlues, was the highest paid newsroom employee.
Meyers, a graduate of Boston College, has spent the last four years working as an anchor for NECN, the regional cable news channel owned by Comcast.
“Karen’s journalistic experience, anchoring/reporting skill and her knowledge of New England make her an outstanding choice for this critical position in our news department,” said Chris Tzianabos, WLNE’s newly appointed president and general manager, in making the announcement. Read more
NEXT PAGE >>