TVNewser LostRemote AgencySpy PRNewser FishbowlNY FishbowlDC SocialTimes AllTwitter AllFacebook InsideFacebook InsideSocialGames InsideMobileApps

Posts Tagged ‘Paula Lopez’

Anchor Reads Story on Enterovirus, Then Learns Daughter Is Area’s First Confirmed Case

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

An anchor at Santa Barbara-San Luis Obispo CBS affiliate KCOY didn’t realize how closely one story would hit home. Paula Lopez read a story on the emergence of Enterovirus D68 in California, without realizing the first confirmed case in Santa Barbara County would be Lopez’s own daughter, 16-year-old Alana Ochoa:

“It was a sharpness in my chest, it was painful, it was worse than asthma,” she said.

While in the doctor’s office with her daughter, KCOY/KKFX news anchor Paula Lopez Ochoa had just read a news report about enterovirus. Lopez and Alana’s doctor agreed the test for enterovirus was important, because Alana’s symptoms were so severe. Those results came back Friday, confirming the teen as the first case in the county.

Lopez said her daughter’s case is an example of why parents must be vigilant with their children. “Use your gut Mom instincts,” Lopez said.

Mediabistro Course

Mediabistro Job Fair

Mediabistro Job FairLand your next big gig! Join us on January 27 at the Altman Building in New York City for an incredible opportunity to meet with hiring managers from the top New York media companies, network with other professionals and industry leaders, and land your next job. Register now!
 

Poll Results: Would You Turn Over Footage Without a Subpoena?

keytlogoThe results are in from Friday’s double poll. First, we asked if you’d turn over footage your station shot without being forced to do so.

The poll came about after Santa Barbara ABC station KEYT shot riot footage and gave it to the county sheriff without a subpoena.

For the question: Would You Give Police Riot Footage Without Subpoena? A majority of the 280 responders said they disagreed with the station’s actions.

  • NO     67%
  • YES    32%
  • Other 1%

Jim Romenesko who first told the story also pointed out the reporter and the anchor on the desk reporting the story have ties to law enforcement. Reporter Victoria Sanchez‘ father is the Santa Barbara Chief of Police and anchor Paula Lopez is married to a county judge.

For the question: Should Sanchez and Lopez Reveal Their Ties to Law Enforcement When Reporting on Crime? 66 percent of the 92 people who voted think the two should reveal their ties. Read more

Poll: How Much is Too Much Cooperation with Law Enforcement?

When Santa Barbara ABC affiliate KEYT shot video of last week’s riot during the city’s Deltopia Festival, it aired the footage, interviewed the two photographers involved and then turned the footage over to the local Sheriff’s Department and the DA’s office so they could ID the offenders.

TVSpy has two polls about the story. First, we want to know if you agree with media blogger Jim Romenesko who first reported the story and wrote, “‘My tipster writes: ‘This was one of the most public displays of cooperation with law enforcement I have seen from a station.’”

See the second poll after the jump. Read more

KEYT’s Paula Lopez Says Public Intoxication Arrest Was Related to Alcoholism Relapse

KEYT anchor Paula Lopez is speaking out on her public intoxication arrest, admitting she has been in “professional medical treatment for the disease of alcoholism for a number of months.”

“I have dealt with anxiety and depression for many years. Excessive self-medication is a fairly recent phenomenon for me. It has increased over time. I have had substantial periods of abstinence and sobriety,” Lopez said in a statement posted on KEYT’s website. “As can occur in the recovery process, I have also had failures and relapses … Much was written about my prior medical circumstances. All that was released to the media regarding my medical circumstances was true. But it was not complete. That is no longer the case.”

Lopez was arrested Monday for public intoxication hear her Santa Barbara home. Earlier this year, she took several months away from the Santa Barbara ABC affiliate after her family briefly reported her missing.

“I am aware of the recent developments with Paula Lopez but I am unable to comment on any employee’s health or personnel issues.  I will continue to monitor the developments closely, but as I am sure you can understand, I am unable to release any further statements concerning Paula,” KEYT general manager Mark Danielson said in a statement to TVSpy.

Months After Brief Disappearance, KEYT’s Paula Lopez Arrested for Public Intoxication

KEYT anchor Paula Lopez was arrested Monday afternoon near her Santa Barbara home for public intoxication, Noozhawk reports:

Lopez, 48, “was contacted by sheriff’s deputies on North San Marcos Road at Via Piccoli in the unincorporated area of Santa Barbara County” at about 4:30 p.m. Monday, sheriff’s Cmdr. Sol Linver said.

She was taken into custody, and later released with a citation to appear in court, Linver said, adding that the case will be forwarded to the District Attorney’s Office for review.

The arrest comes five months after Lopez briefly went missing. After that incident, which she said was because of pneumonia and dehydration, she took a brief leave of absence from KEYT, where she anchors the 6:30 p.m. and 11 p.m. newscasts.

KEYT did not immediately respond to TVSpy’s request for comment.

‘Missing’ Santa Barbara Anchor Absent Again

Paula Lopez, the KEYT anchor who returned to air in early April after her February disappearance sparked a police manhunt, is mysteriously off the air again.

According to station monitoring site TVEyes, Lopez worked the 6:30 p.m news on April 18, but was absent from the 11:00 p.m. show. Her co-anchor C.J. Ward told viewers Lopez had the night off. She hasn’t been on air since.

“I can tell you that KEYT and NPG continue to wish Paula well,” KEYT general manager Mark Danielson told Santa Barbara’s Noozhawk after saying he could not comment on an employee’s health or personnel issues. “I don’t have any information on when Paula might be able to return to work,” he added. Read more

Paula Lopez Back on Anchor Desk at KEYT

Paula Lopez, the anchor for Santa Barbara ABC affiliate KEYT who went missing in February, will be back on-air tonight.

“We’re thrilled Paula is now able to come back to work,” Jim Lemon, KEYT news director told the San Luis Obispo Tribune. “As a veteran member of the team at NewsChannel 3, it’s good to have her back where she belongs, anchoring and reporting the news up and down the coast.”

Lopez returned home nearly eight hours after being reported missing by concerned family members. Relatives blamed an unnamed medical condition on her disappearance.

She posted the news to twitter over the weekend saying, “Happy to be back on @KEYTNC3 in 48 hours!”

[FTVLive]

Family of KEYT Anchor Paula Lopez Declines to Say How She Went Missing

The family of Paula Lopez, the KEYT anchor who was reported missing Wednesday morning and found later in the evening, is declining to elaborate on the details of her return. Lopez is married to a Superior Court judge and is a “longtime fixture in the community,” according to the Los Angeles Times:

Her family alerted the Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office that she was gone, triggering a response by deputies who used search dogs as they scoured the area. The rapid response raised questions about whether the family received favorable treatment. Often, law enforcement authorities wait 24 hours before declaring a person missing and launching search efforts.

News footage showed Lopez’s husband, Frank Ochoa, arriving at the home Wednesday night in his gray Lexus with what appeared to be a woman in the passenger’s seat. The family contacted the Sheriff’s Office on Wednesday about 5:30 p.m. to say that Lopez was safe at home, KEYT-TV said on its website.

“Paula has been located,” a spokesman for the family told reporters gathered outside the home Wednesday night. “We’re not giving out any details right now.”

The Santa Barbara County sheriff’s office also declined to comment “due to the fact it is a private family matter.”

KEYT Anchor Paula Lopez Missing; UPDATE: Anchor Found Safe

> Update, 9:50pmET: Lopez’s family alerted KEYT that Lopez had returned home around 6:30pmPT and is safe.

> Original story: Paula Lopez an anchor at KEYT the ABC affiliate in Santa Barbara, has gone missing.

A family member alerted the Santa Barbara Sheriff’s Office of her disappearance around 10 this morning. Lopez was last seen near her home in the hills above Santa Barbara. Lopez’s disappearance made news on all the Santa Barbara stations as well as in Fresno, Palm Springs and on Los Angeles stations. Lopez worked in the LA market in the 1990s. Authorities do not suspect foul play.

Lopez, who is married to Santa Barbara Superior Court Judge Frank J. Ochoa, began her career at KEYT in 1985, as an intern. She returned to the station in 1996. Currently she anchors the 6:30 and 11pm newscasts.

KEYT General Manager Mark Danielson released the following statement:

Read more